It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of partisanship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

The dispute was not personal. It was, of all things, editorial. Mr. Mullin’s red newspaper in a red county in what is arguably the reddest of states went blue this campaign season and endorsed Hillary Clinton for president. The editorial board, in a gray-shaded column on Page A4 on Oct. 9, wrote that Donald J. Trump lacked “the skills, experience or temperament to hold office.” The headline and subhead read: “For U.S. president: Hillary Clinton is our choice for commander in chief.” It was the first Democratic endorsement for president in the modern history of the newspaper, which was founded in 1893. As the man’s reaction at the steakhouse suggested, Enid was stunned, and this slow-paced agricultural town of 52,000 near the Kansas state line has not been the same since.

First off, I think violence over political choices is about the stupidest thing to do. Hurting another person shouldn't happen at all, and over something so trivial as an opinion is idiotic. (IMHO)

However, when you are in business, and you decide to involve your political ideal with your business, you are of the mentality I spoke of earlier. There are but two subjects that can segregate a crowd with as much expedience as speaking of politics or religion. We all have the right to speak of our thoughts when out "in the world", but those who have lived a good bit and seen the ramifications for doing such, seem to be a bit smarter about such things. Here on ATS is a different story.

In the case of the OP, this small newspaper took a political stance that a majority of their readers opposed. Sure they may have felt the moral high ground was beneath them, or they just knew better than the uneducated plebes, but they committed monetary suicide. Newspapers are already loosing to the internet, why would you alienate your entire business unless you didn't need money anymore? It's a dumb thing to do.

I have seem some older, very wise people ask "did the election turn out like you wanted?" and no matter the answer, they smiled, and nodded, but declined to offer a comment of their own. Knowledge is knowing what to say, Wisdom is knowing when to say it. (and when not to)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

There has been way to much violence and threats surrounding this election.
Really it's kind of sad people need to stoop that low.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I would never purposely associate my business with a partisan political or religious position. Its bad business. No matter what you say, you alienate anywhere from 30-70% of your potential customers. ATS is different. Its an anonymous place to vent opinions, unfettered by any serious consequences.

new topics

join