It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you hold artist's political views against them?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Nah, I think you're wrong. Entertainers are just business people and artists of various crafts. They're not gods. They have the right to their own political views, but we also have the right to our own views against or for them. And seeing as they can have more public exposure than politicians, their opinions can have a lot of sway in our society.

I'll use an extreme example to make my point quickly. There's a racist hate group called RaHoWa, which stands for "Racial Holy War". You can probably take a guess what their music is about. If their members also share similar political views as their music, why would racial minorities be "missing brain development" or having a "mental disorder" if we held those views against them?

That's why I think it depends on what political views we're talking about.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

It's just a sad fact that people in 'the arts,' especially the arts that catapult them to fame in America, are usually mindless liberals.

I don't mean that to say that all liberals are mindless, but that the majority of "Hollywood" is populated with people who think that they are liberals and are vocal about it, even though they don't know much, if anything, about that which they're talking and promoting.

Take, for example, one of my favorite musical genres: Punk. The message of most punk is basically to 'f**k the system,' yet many of them latch onto the teat of liberalism/progressivism as if they stand for universal freedom and laissez-faire central government, when the reality couldn't be farther from the truth. I think that this is a hold-over from the 80s punk here in the U.S. when the government was run by Republicans and there was the beginnings of the war on drugs.

The cognitive dissonance in these types of scenarios (and Punk music is by far not the only or main example) is laughable, and you have to just start realizing that these people are, for the most part, generally retarded when it comes to politics. They are ignorant, yet they have some of the largest followings and biggest mouths, so they get heard the most.

I try my best not to let it affect my enjoyment of their talent--Matt Damon is a political idiot, yet I enjoy most of his films, especially the Bourne ones, where they are full of violence and guns and government mind controlling and all of that fun stuff. The actors in the series "Supernatural" are pretty damn opposite of where I stand politically, but my wife and I are finishing up that series on Netflix. And like I said, most of the music that I like (punk, ska, 90s rap, classic rock) all have people who generally lean liberal/progressive.

I'm not going to let someone else's views on politics control what I enjoy in life--I would never enjoy anything anymore, if that were the case.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Not particularly. I'm going to come out as an old-school Chuck Norris fan (Walker:TR, Hellbound and Sidekicks may still be my 3 biggest viewing guilty pleasures. Ok, and Firewalker. Alright, alright, there isn't much he did, no matter how corny, that I didn't enjoy)

I could be pigeonholed as Left, and he is definitely Right, no bones about it. Politics makes no difference to me, I enjoy & appreciate his work regardless.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
In general no, I can overlook the personal views of an artist whose work product I enjoy.

The exceptions are when they take action against an unalienable right of mine or are a hypocrite. Then I will go out of my way to ensure that none of my money goes to support them.

Examples: Matt Damon and Sly Stallone have been very anti-2nd Amendment. But they have no problem portraying characters who kill lots of bad guys with guns...

Since they're hypocrites, they receive no money from me.

An opinion is one thing, direct action is another.

This pretty well sums up my opinion. Also, ppl like Damon and Stallone, Michael Moore, Clooney, etc. All use armed security guards when they need to feel safe; some serious hypocrisy there. Speaking of Clooney, my father hasn't watched a single thing he's been on/in for the last thirteen years after some remarks he'd made about a weak and ailing Charlton Heston.

I think I'm pretty accepting. But some situations do challenge that... Ben Affleck and Jen Garner are a couple more examples, and Tom Cruise. Love his movies, but the scientology thing makes my skin crawl.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
i have never stopped listening to or watching someone merely for their political statements or such like.

As to Katy Perry, im not an avid listener of her, but recently i watched her live performance of Roar (Prismatic tour version) as well as her official video and was moved to tears by it (im a man) because i was thinking of my daughter and how i want her to grow up fully empowered as a female human and i want to do whatever i can to contribute to that.

It does bother me of course that these people, almost a majority it would appear, seem to support movements and causes and people that are actually against humanity's best interests, but i am either too magnanimous or too selfish to deprive myself of good art only because the artist doesnt agree with me on certain things.

I would take advice even from the devil if it was good, sound, truthful advice. To me the ultimate thing to consider is the idea, the product, the act, itself.....all on its own merit. Motive is important too.....but if im dying of thirst in the desert and my enemy gives me a glass of water i will drink it and fight him later.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Everyone has a job to do. If you are an entertainer, entertain. If you are an artist, then create art.
Everyone needs to quit telling everyone else how to do their jobs.
I dont want a baker telling a brain surgeon how to operate..... nothing good will come out of it.

It is one thing for an "artist" to voice their dislike of Trump and tell the world they will not vote for him, that is as far as it should go PUBLICLY....... it is another thing for an artist to verbally bash those who do not agree with them publicly.

Now what they say in their private lives is up to them.... but to use their fame to try to influence people who may suffer from Hero Worship.....is immoral

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
That depends on the views, and more importantly, how they treat those who disagree with them. Those that can politely 'agree to disagree' with those who don't support their political views, no, I don't have a problem with. On the other hand, if they're overtly and immediately hostile, nasty and disrespectful to all those who hold opposing viewpoints, yes, certainly, I'll hold that against them. They're bigots. I have better things to do than to waste my time and money on people like that.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
I would never hold it against him but let just say that if I found out he was a Trump supporter I would be VERY disappointed. Fortunately he is not that kind of person.

May I ask what kind of person you believe a Trump supporter is?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

At least when the Hamilton cast addressed Mike Pence, they did so AFTER their performance, so anyone who did not want to hear it was free to leave the venue without throwing away the entertainment they bought and paid for.

The fact that the little 'rant' was AFTER the performance is irrelevant. An attendee of a performance is a GUEST and should be treated as such (provided the guest doesn't cause a commotion).

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I don't typically watch the Hollywood Access or TMZ type shows so I suspect I don't always hear the opinions of the celebrities.

That being said, I don't intentionally hold celebrities opinions against them but I also don't go out of my way to make sure their opinions don't affect me. Over the years there have been actors/actresses that I've liked in the sense that I find them skillful in their craft.... yet after some of their outbursts or proclamations.... I literally can't look at their work anymore because I can't separate the off-screen person from their on-screen characters.

It's their right to express themselves as it's my right to tune them out.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

The fact that the little 'rant' was AFTER the performance is irrelevant.

To you, obviously.

An attendee of a performance is a GUEST and should be treated as such (provided the guest doesn't cause a commotion).

If someone pays for a ticket, they are not a "guest," they are a paying customer for a specific product or service. In the case of the Hamilton play, every paying customer received what they paid for with no unnecessary or unwanted interruptions.... as opposed to being lectured as a "captive" audience, as in my previous example.

No one had to stay and listen to the comments addressed to Pence. Everyone had received their money's worth, and were free to stay or go according to their own will.

That is a very big difference, and is very relevant. Under my previous example, you can bet that I would never purchase a ticket for her concert again -- even if I had supported the same candidate! Under the latter example, I would purchase another ticket, even if I didn't support the same candidate. I have no problem with opposing political views; I have a big problem with entertainers using their celebrity -- and our dollars -- to trick the audience into a campaign rally when they are purchasing a concert ticket.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

So is it ok for a waiter, after serving you your food/drinks, to berate you after you pay your bill and are retrieving your coat from the coatroom?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

So is it ok for a waiter, after serving you your food/drinks, to berate you after you pay your bill and are retrieving your coat from the coatroom?

Berate? Really??? I let the "rant" in your previous response slide by, but come on...

"You know, we have a guest in the audience this evening. Vice President-elect Pence, I see you walking out but I hope you hear just a few more moments. There's nothing to boo, ladies and gentlemen. There's nothing to boo. We're all here sharing a story of love. We have a message for you, sir, we hope that you will hear us out."

"And I encourage everybody to pull out your phones and tweet and post because this message needs to be spread far and wide. Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical. We really do."

"We, sir, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us: our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us."
Source

That was a very calm and reasonable and respectful statement. Not a rant. No one was "berated." No one was attacked or insulted. The message spoke to their own fears... and their hopes. I agree 100% with our VP-elect, Mike Pence:

“It was a real joy to be there,” Pence told Chris Wallace in an appearance on “Fox News Sunday.” “When we arrived, we heard a few boos and we heard some cheers and I nudged my kids and reminded them, that’s what freedom sounds like.”
Source

That was exactly the correct response. I would be far more disturbed by a VP-elect who was such a special little snowflake in need of a safe space that he couldn't handle being addressed by the public he is about to take an oath to serve.

Regarding your hypothetical -- keeping in mind that I will never be an elected public official who has taken an oath (or is about to take an oath) to serve the people, so it's really comparing apples to oranges -- but if I were wearing a T-shirt saying "Make America Great Again" and thus making a public political statement, then I would expect (and have no problem with) someone else responding to my political statement. In such a case, I am the one who opened that door. Otherwise, the waiter would have no clue as to what my political leanings are. If that happened as I was walking out of a restaurant after paying my bill, okay. At that point, I am free to engage or to walk away. Only if that waiter chose to disrupt my meal to do so, then I would have a problem with it.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I can agree with you that Pence handled it like a gentleman.

Beyond that, clearly we have differing opinions of how people should conduct themselves in various professional roles/workplaces.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I can agree with you that Pence handled it like a gentleman.

I'm happy we can agree about that.

Beyond that, clearly we have differing opinions of how people should conduct themselves in various professional roles/workplaces.

Maybe... Or maybe we have differing opinions of how much "free speech" people should have.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I completely agree in those instances where we are talking about extreme beliefs. Obviously I would never knowingly befriend a KKK member or the like. There are always exceptions, but the general guy on the street with mainstream views, shouldn't care one way or another if Matt Damon speaks out against a political candidate. That's silly. Too much in life to spend one second fretting over what policies Kid Rock supports. Have at it. Support what you want, vote how you want, and feel free to voice that opinion. I won't like a celebrity/athlete any more or less based on that.

And I stand by my statement that the person who refuses to associate with those who may have a differing political or religious view (mainstream, mind you) is a flawed person, with potentially an underdeveloped brain.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Or maybe we have differing opinions of how much "free speech" people should have.

Perhaps we do. In the general sense I support free speech but I also understand that people should be mindful and responsible with it.

Quick anecdote of something that happened a few years back. It was a Friday during Lent and my wife and I had helped out the school affiliated with our church set up for a fundraiser that was taking place over the weekend. On the way out we grabbed one of the church bulletins and walked over to a diner on the corner to meet up with my sister. The waitress came to take our order and (seemingly) noticed the bulletin which was off to the side, half covered by my wife's purse. After my sister ordered a prime rib the waitress commented in sort of a nasty tone, "Wow, some Catholics you are, huh?"

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Quick anecdote of something that happened a few years back. It was a Friday during Lent... After my sister ordered a prime rib the waitress commented in sort of a nasty tone, "Wow, some Catholics you are, huh?"

Now THAT would piss me off too. It's none of the waitresses business how you practice your faith, and she obviously has no right to judge in any event... I'm hoping she was reminded of that when she saw the tip you left -- or didn't!

Perhaps we do. In the general sense I support free speech but I also understand that people should be mindful and responsible with it.

I agree.... and that's exactly why I appreciate when folks make an effort to express their free speech in a way that respects the rights/opinions of others... such as the Hamilton cast. They could have made that statement before the performance (which would have been very disrespectful, if not coercive), or during one of the intermissions (again, very disrespectful), but they chose a time when folks would have the opportunity to walk away, including Pence.

The thing about free speech is that it's not about protecting the speech we like, it's about protecting the speech we don't like.

While you may still disagree with what the Hamilton cast did, I hope you can at least give them credit for making an effort to do so in the least disruptive and disrespectful way possible.... especially when so many others go out of their way to be as disruptive and disrespectful as possible!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I think overall, we aren't too far apart from each other.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I think overall, we aren't too far apart from each other.

I think you may be right about that. It's just that sometimes freedom gets messy! As long as our hearts are in the right place, we can work it out or through or whatever it takes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join