It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you hold artist's political views against them?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
A poster on this forum called Katy Perry a loser apparently because of her political views. I was inspired by that to create this thread. I'm a Katy Perry fan. Her support of Hillary Clinton makes no difference to me as far as my view of her or her music.

I found the following story to be more troubling.

Watch Guns N’ Roses Invite Mexican Fans Onstage to Smash a Donald Trump Piñata

I would have thought Guns N’ Roses would be more on the side of being Trump supporters based on their music. The thing that bothers me about them opposing Trump is that I believe it makes them seem hypocritical.

In the case of people like Katy Perry and Madonna, I would expect them to be bleeding heart liberals based on their music. How could I be judgmental toward someone concerning their political views in such a case?
edit on 27-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Being famous doesn't offer clearer views of reality, or any special knowledge of world events.
So any opinion they have is just as idiotic as anyone else's. The only difference is, they have a venue for others to hear their stupid thoughts.

If an artists was also intelligent, they would keep their political affiliations to themselves so as not to alienate half of their fans over something they might think. I like Springsteens music, but I think he's a dumbass.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

no - i dont hold thier political views against them - but wish they would keep them to themselves

to use an example you cite :

if SLASH walked upto me and told me that i was holding a guitar wrong and i should hold it the way he suggested - then i would be an idiot not to listen to him - cos he is in my poinion one of the top 10 living guitar players

but if mr rose thinks i am gong to vote for a political candidate or plaftorm - because " axel rose told me to " - then he is in for a rude shock - cos he is a deluded muppet

that answer the question

EDITED - to rectify the fact that without sleep or coffee i forgot who in GnR holds the axe
edit on 27-12-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Yep ,
I refuse to support any leftists or leftist causes .

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I will decide whether or not I agree or disagree with their opinions but typically speaking it doesn't affect my view on their art. For example. I think Miley Cyrus is cray cray, but, she has the voice of an Angel (to me anyhow) I love to hear her sing Jolene.

That's just ONE example. I see political views as separate from artistic talent/ performance. TYPICALLY.

-Alee

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Being famous doesn't offer clearer views of reality, or any special knowledge of world events.
So any opinion they have is just as idiotic as anyone else's. The only difference is, they have a venue for others to hear their stupid thoughts.

If an artists was also intelligent, they would keep their political affiliations to themselves so as not to alienate half of their fans over something they might think. I like Springsteens music, but I think he's a dumbass.

This bears repeating in that it is concise and complete in response to the thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

do you mean slash?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Axel Rose does not qualify as a guitar player.....

And I would never listen to any celebrity/artists politics, they are far removed from most of reality, IMO
edit on 12/27/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yes it's hard to not to equate a simpleton view with a musicians music
I don't dwell on it to much
Really who cares what a musician thinks, if it's good music it's good music

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Don't you mean "Slash"?

On Topic....No. Their opinion means no more than mine or anyone else's, they just have more opportunity to voice their's to a wider audience. Although, they do seem to consider their opinion to be special in some way and the sad part is, so do many others.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Artists? They're just people like anyone else.

If you're looking for reasons to hold someone's beliefs against them, why treat artists differently?

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
i heard hitler was an artist.

so yes

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

You said exactly what I was wanting to say but you said it more eloquently than I would have.
To be honest, this election has made it so bad for me I honestly have trouble finding a movie to watch now, it was hard to watch a LOT of the stars that I like in Hollywood 'come out' and make fools of themselves.
Come on California Earthquake 2017!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

"Do you hold artist's political views against them?"

If they are liberals -hating America and the freedoms that we enjoy - then absolutely and in every case.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
An artist being political via his/her body of work doesn't bother me. Write lyrics, publish a book, paint a picture, but climb on a stage as a mouthpiece for a campaign is a lecture.

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

if axel rose walked upto me and told me that i was holding a guitar wrong and i should hold it the way he suggested - then i would be an idiot not to listen to him - cos he is in my poinion one of the top 10 living guitar players

Axl Rose guitar legend? This is satire, right? Please tell me you mean Slash.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

It depends on what those views are. Tax laws, trade laws, etc wouldn't matter. But why would I support or buy products from entertainers who are actively opposed to my priorities? I'd be increasing their cash flow just so they can use the proceeds to fight me lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The only artist that I really revere is Michael Stipe from REM. I would never hold it against him but let just say that if I found out he was a Trump supporter I would be VERY disappointed. Fortunately he is not that kind of person.

I can kind of understand why people would hold artists views against them. After all, If I just met someone and found out he still supported Drumpf after all the swamp filing and choices the man has mad since he won (I can sort of understand why he did win) I wouldn't look favourably on him.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
ABSO-F#-LUTELY it does!

When music stars, or any so-called "stars" for that matter, think they are so important that they can use their fame to pass off political messages and agendas I refuse to buy or listen to their crap! I don't care who's side they're on.

Their job is to be entertainers and that's it. When their self-importance interferes with / over shadows their 'entertainment' it's time to change the record (so to speak).

Music makes money for two reasons. One, because people buy it, and secondly, because it sells advertising on radio and TV for which the artist's receive a royalty for their music playing. When an artist politicizes their craft and continues to get royalties it sends a message to the artist that their antics are okay.

Radio stations (for example) now know when people change channels (unlike the old days). Less listeners, less revenue. Less buyers, less revenue.

Pretty simple really.

ETA...Bruce Springsteen is a classic example of this formula. He once portrayed a persona as standing up for the 'working man/woman'. (He never really did stand for those ideals, but that's another story). Then he got all political, thinking his fame gave him permission to pontificate about political platforms. Guess what? His sales went in the toilet and radio stations stopped playing his crap. Less buyers, less revenue. Less airtime, less royalties.

edit on 12/27/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
An artist like any other person has a right to their opinion. You don't have to agree with them but that opinion shouldn't affect the way you look at their abilities as an artist.

Ted Nugent is a jerk but I enjoy his music just as Madonna or Miley are off the wall but they have talent. As in all things you need to be able to take the bad with the good and accept them for who they are. being able to recognize the bias in oneself would go a long way in improving the quality of our own lives rather than pointing out the bias in others.

There's a couple of biblical quotes that may apply here:

" Let he who hath no sin cast the first stone"
"Do not point out the splinter in anothers eye while ignoring the log in yours"

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

so in other words, "dance monkey, dance!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join