It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump dismisses the United Nations as a 'club' for people to 'have a good time'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Donald Trump has dismissed the United Nations as a “club” for people to “have a good time”.

In the latest of a series of controversial remarks on Twitter, the US President-elect hit out at the global body.

He wrote: “The United Nations has such great potential but right now it is just a club for people to get together, talk and have a good time. So sad!”

* Donald Trump dismisses the United Nations as a 'club' for people to 'have a good time'

I can't recall a POTUS who made statements like this while they were in office. I realize Trump isn't in office yet, but his presidency will sure be good for ATS from a conversational standpoint.

As to whether his comment quoted above about the United Nations is correct, I believe it is. I wish I could be a fly on the wall to listen to his opinions about what the "good time" he's referencing entails.

In my mind, the United Nations belongs in the Illuminati card game. I view it as just another card that can be played in the grand scheme of world domination that we're all living in.
edit on 27-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+65 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I dismissed the UN the moment they elected Saudi Arabia to the Human Rights Council.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Given the way Trump flip flops on what he says in a few weeks it will probably an important organisation that does good work.
He's probably just sucking up to his mate Bibi right now.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
I dismissed the UN the moment they elected Saudi Arabia to the Human Rights Council.

Saudi Arabia has been a major military and trading partner of the U.S. for decades. China is also a major trading partner.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The UN has repeatedly shown to be a joke of an organization. It literally serves no purpose, when they can't do anything to stop superpowers, including the US and Russia and others.

In a previous tweet, he said that the UN has massive potential which is not being used properly, which I agree with. But, there's no way that a change to that organization will come from a superpower which does not respect the international law at all. It's naive to think any superpower will want to give any real power to the UN, unfortunately

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The UN does some amazing work, e.g. WHO, UNESCO, UNHCR (to name but three) and peace keeping operations etc...

The UN is also a talking shop with a Security Council that does have problems, although some would argue that talking is good.

The civilised and democratic world should set up their own body, IMHO, while leaving the UN to deal with pan-global issues that it is good at. Several "communities of democracies" have been proposed in the past. This will remove the backward nations and autocracies from the mix. More common interest, and less chatter.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Uh oh, sounds a lot like his way of saying we are cutting your funding. I couldn't blame him, I can't see why we support them the way we do. Like he says, we're broke, we own 20 trillion. Look for huge changes across the board.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed. they need to get out of the US and into a place they are needed. Mars maybe South Africa. Put them in Nigeria so they can actually think about what they are supposed to be doing and not where the next party is.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

The UN has repeatedly shown to be a joke of an organization.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a joke but it has proven itself ineffectual on important issues.
The world need a body like the UN but it does need to be reformed.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: monkeyluv

Good thing we use Saudi Arabia for their oil reserves, instead of their insight on how to execute homosexuals.

But that might even change as well.

No Saudi Oil Says Trump; Saudi Arabia Fires Back

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
How much do you want to bet he's angling to buy the UN building so he can charge them rent?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Remove all avenues of diplomacy. Nothing but the threat of war. Trump will fulfill his part of making the US the Roman empire.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Don't worry we will build a wall around them.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The UN should NOT be a club anyone can join. There has to be some minimum standards that all members share and have in common.
Our Bill of Rights, equality for all people should be at the very top of that list...... and failure to protect those rights should lead to an immediate expulsion.
There is nothing united about the nations in the UN. What does the West have in common with the islamic countries? Nothing, nothing at all.
Why is iran allowed in the UN, when on a daily basis they call for death to any number of people? Is that what united means?

Sooner we get out of that monstrosity and the more nations that we share common beliefs with we take with us.... the better off everyone will be. They can start their own United Islamic Nations, they dont need us and we dont need them

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
He hit the nail on the head!!!

The UN is UNeffective, UNecessary and UNwanted!

It's a completely UNfunny JOKE!!

Thank you, President Trump, for saying what millions of people have been thinking for more than a decade!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
The UN exists for 1 purpose... to enact global laws on sovereign nations. It does some good things, but fundamentally, it's an authoritarian ruling body.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

The UN exists for 1 purpose... to enact global laws on sovereign nations.

Actually, you are wrong. Here's the Charter of the UN.

UN Charter - purpose of UN

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

One purpose nope.

We have lots to thank the UN for.

Halting the Spread of Epidemics
Responding to HIV/AIDS
Wiping Out Polio
Reducing Child Mortality
Promoting Women’s Rights
Clearing Landmines
I could go on all day listing the good they have done.

If Trump thinks they do nothing he is an idiot, sure it aint perfect but it is a good thing to have.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

The UN exists for 1 purpose... to enact global laws on sovereign nations. It does some good things, but fundamentally, it's an authoritarian ruling body.

No; it has no power to enforce any resolution that its member nations make. Although it does a fair job of coordinating relief efforts, improving public hygiene in emerging nations, and encouraging countries to protect their cultural heritage sites, it is little better than a talk shop. Incidentally, I am genuinely curious where you have gotten the impression that the UN has any power whatsoever.
edit on 27-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
They helped get rid of smallpox also.
A big plus in my book without the UN it wouldn't have happened.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join