It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists plan to send greetings to other worlds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

I agree, why are we doing this. I try to be objective. And being objective I would say let's give this some time.

Why are we in such a hurry to say here we are. We have enough of everything but people still die/starve and we still shoot people that we don't know for lies we choose to believe.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

They dissipate and become distorted after a fairly short distance.

If the aliens did get them it'd just be weirdly strange signals coming from a distant star. We get plenty of those as it is, one would assume they do too.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

do you know where every bug colony is on earth? what does advanced technology matter in the face of the size of the universe...

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

yeah I suppose it depends on how much more advanced they are.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I was wondering if you thought that we already know about the aliens.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

Would you go into a rain forest with large cats, bears, and other apex predators and start squealing like a rabbit?

Without knowing what the hell is going on in space with other civilizations i.e. predatory or not, it is a very bad and ignorant idea. It reminds me of being in combat. When you buddy is shot and screaming at the top of his lungs which will let the enemy zero in on you.

However, we have been sending out signals since the first transmitters were developed. I still don't think it is a good idea to try broadcasting long distance messages to unknown entities. It isn't something you can reverse if it gathers attention from a civilization of Lenin and Hitler type beings with technology that dwarfs our own.

Yeah, because open borders on this planet isn't stupid enough, right?

edit on 12 26 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 12 26 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

As one crab said to the other;

Conspiracy Crab : "I saw a fish, it was flying above me the other day, I swear they are real!"
Debunker Crab : "Don't be silly, we've been clicking our claws up there for years, and not once has a fish clicked back... Stop listening to Crustacean Jones and David Prawny. "

What we send may just be noise to anything out there. There is nothing to say intelligence needs to be equatable..

When we can converse with a Dolphin, we may understand the differences...

edit on 26-12-2016 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnyhallows5211
Kinda scary considering we don't really know what's going to recieve the hello. Kinda reminds me of the movie battleship, those aliens were rather hostile. I think more research should be done on where we decide to send our hello

"Hello Earthlings. We come bringing trinkets and shiny things. All we ask is for a bit of land... from say, here to the horizon. Oh and 50% of your population for dinner."

Seems legit.. Oo

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Peeple

We may be livestock? I hope not, it you talk to left they are vegetarians, right won't talk about "Them".

I think perhaps we should leave well enough alone.

Nahh, if they want us as livestock, they'll let the vegetarians go.. vegetarians taste like grass... they'll be wanting the bacon eaters..

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
if they are more advanced than us then they already know we are here and have chosen to not make contact with us, if they are less advanced then they won`t be able to hear the message. This sounds like a waste of time and money.

We didn't even know there were certain tribes still in the Amazon - who shot arrows at a plane a few years ago when they saw it.

What makes you think they know we're here, in this vast universe where this small blue rock floating around a singular small and insignificant sun exists, incapable of even travelling to our nearest planet without using a breakable and limited robot...

?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Ah we may as well since we are buggered anyway.
Hope I can hitch a ride when they come for tea and crumpets.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
I hope the message says "Merry Christmas", If we send them "Happy Holidays" the Aliens will probably think were all douche PC types and just ignore us

LMAO !!

I love that
FAF !!

But then, they better know about Christ, or it will probably make them angry at us for not worshipping the great Bagoose.

Oo

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MajorAce
No-matter how times you say "No not a good idea" someone will always go hide in the barn.

Not me, I've seen that episode of The Walking Dead.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Stepehn Hawkings thinks this is a very very bad idea. Observe here.

Hawking
Hawking
Hawking
Hawking

I'm ignoring the Stepehn part.

I can see his point. If good guys hear us so can bad guys. Could (would) the good guys help us if it got down and dirty?

edit on 12/26/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Hi anyone out there, we live here and are fairly primitive but have packaged all the easily mined and refined resources of our planet on the surface for you, plenty of hydrocarbon based life as well if you want it.

Hi anyone out there, free resource buffet just come and wipe out the indigenous primitive savage's, the metal is already refined for you as they have done all the hard work, you can even just wipe them out with a neutron bombardment and colonize there already built city's and make use of there ready infrastructure with a little adjustment to make it suitable for you.

There is a reason the Galaxy is quiet, only the idiot's shout to the lion's that they are here.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Ummm...I hope these "scientists" wake from their ayahuasca fever dream...and if they don't I hope someone ends them before they send out their...message...

Haven't they ever read "Hammer fall" or "The Forge of God"...They should also pay attention to what Stephen Hawking has to say on the subject...

Educated idiots...one and all...
The fools should know better...the natural world is chock full of predator...and prey...

Guess which category we would be in..."To Serve Man"...

Fracking fools...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Mind you by the time we have sent a message and they send one back or come over to invade most of us will be dead and buried so lets leave our kids a present to bring all of humanity together....a war with the lizard folk of seti minor 4 and then being saved by the Amazon green girls of Beta beta rigal 7.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

By the end of 2018, the project aims to send some conversation-starters via radio or laser signals to a rocky planet circling Proxima Centauri, the nearest star other than the sun,

Nope, it's going to be our neighbors. I would suggest the message says" be aware our blue dot could be deceivingly wrong"
edit on 0b44America/ChicagoTue, 27 Dec 2016 13:32:44 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 27 Dec 2016 13:32:44 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join