It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Aide Wilbur Ross: No Friend Of The U.K.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Beware a wolf in sheep's clothing.

New U.S. Commerce Secretary designate Wilbur Smith, is urging countries to take advantage of Brexit, and try and take business away from The U.K.

The billionaire businessman added that the UK's withdrawal from the EU was a "God-given opportunity" for London's financial rivals.

Mr Ross will be responsible for negotiating a free trade deal with the UK.

With friends like this who needs enemies.

uk.finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

New U.S. Commerce Secretary designate Wilbur Smith,* is urging countries to take advantage of Brexit, and try and take business away from The U.K.

The billionaire businessman added that the UK's withdrawal from the EU was a "God-given opportunity" for London's financial rivals.

uk.finance.yahoo.com...

The enemies are already there,....it's our UK government. A foreign slimeball like he is just the go-between.
My rationale? Wilbur mentions Dublin and Frankfurt for financial business centers..both in an EU country. Deutsche bank Frankfurt Am Main, (although it's power base is in fact in London) had shady dealings in the banking crisis, and Anglo Irish banks, Dublin also had very shady dealings going on, in fact Irish authorities put away several big bankers, and perhaps more to follow. So I can just picture this guy Ross* sniffing out the bad apples for some more dirty dealings...it all stinks already!!
Perhaps I am a bit unfair re the regime in Frankfurt, they weren't so free and easy.

edit on 26-12-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Don't too sure about that at this Juncture.
Trump may have to rein of few of these sharks in a tad. Trump has backed Brexit on numerous occasions. It will be a real bad start in the international arena to start off with that kind of Flip-flop.

On that note, he has more than a few 'Alphas' in his cabinet. Don't be too surprised if one or two of them suddenly 'resign' due to not getting their way with the top alpha....

edit on 26-12-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I never read too much into his statements.

More of a state the obvious remark.
I don't think it's his personal mission to f*ck Up relations with the U.K.

And with that said, no longer at the bottom of the list, Barry.
How'd you like them apples?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Don't worry we have a better bumbling idiot....Boris Johnson!.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

He's not wrong about the opportunities Brexit offers. Britain benefits from access to the EU Market. London also holds the financial center for Europe from what I understand. Having that open access to the EU Market cut off after Brexit means other EU cities could replace London as number one. Frankfurt, Germany, has seen this opportunity:

Hubertus Väth went to bed on June 23 expecting Britain to remain in the EU. Jolted awake by the unexpected news, the head of the Frankfurt Main Finance trade group was at his desk before 7 a.m. honing a message to London bankers: Frankfurt wants you. Two hours later, his team had launched a Twitter campaign and a website touting the city’s glories. “We think we’ll get the biggest chunk of jobs from London,” Väth says in his office, a bright space with sweeping views of the European Central Bank’s new tower across the Main River. “It’s our prize to lose.”

www.bloomberg.com...

There are other benefits as well in the way of businesses, trade. British car manufacturers may very well have to deal with potential tariffs, taxes, that other EU auto manufacturers will not have to worry about. Mercedes and Volkswagen are probably happy about this.

This will all, of course, depend on how the Brexit talks go. There's a chance Britain could still negotiate access to the market on the same level as the other countries. This is unlikely though as the whole purpose of the EU and access to the EU market is to entice membership and the agreement of free movement... the main issue Britain moved to Brexit in the first place.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

New U.S. Commerce Secretary designate Wilbur Smith, is urging countries to take advantage of Brexit, and try and take business away from The U.K.

uk.finance.yahoo.com...

He is right though. It IS a god-given opportunity for London's rivals.

And why should they not take advantage of it. Britain has voted to leave the EU and that both should and WILL have consequences - Ross is not the only one to say so. Pretty much every opponent of brexit have said the leaving the EU will present one heck of an opportunity for London's financial rivals, and that they will of course take it as well they should.

Ross is, in my opinion, merely stating the obvious.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Ross is a Vice Chairman Of The Board Of Directors of The Bank Of Cyprus.

Cyprus being a member state of The E.U. Make of that whatever you will.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

This will all, of course, depend on how the Brexit talks go. There's a chance Britain could still negotiate access to the market on the same level as the other countries. This is unlikely though as the whole purpose of the EU and access to the EU market is to entice membership and the agreement of free movement... the main issue Britain moved to Brexit in the first place.

I worry about that. If Britain went dirty and made the whole free movement ethos across the EU something that all the other EU countries found a need to be more circumspect on free movement, even a pick and choose meme, that would leave the the rationale for the referendum pretty much in shreds, and of course we are already paying the costs.
There are other things too, like the deal with Nissan UK, that is surely going to cost the taxpayer a substantial sum of money over the long term, more so given that while we all say Nissan, the company is really Nissan-Renault, and Renault have at least 50%, likely much more overall, of an ownership in that company, as well as Opel/Vauxhall clone vehicles axcross Europe.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Ross is a Vice Chairman Of The Board Of Directors of The Bank Of Cyprus.

Cyprus being a member state of The E.U. Make of that whatever you will.

I make nothing of it, besides that he knows what he is talking about, perhaps?

With Brexit Britain knowingly screws the rest of the EU over, so it might point to Mr. Ross' motivation for "attacking" Britain. But even that would be a stretch, I think.

Really, it is just good financial business. And, as you pointed out, he is a professional in the field.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

With Brexit Britain knowingly screws the rest of the EU over

Would you care to elaborate that remark ?

How is The U.K. " Screwing The Rest Of The EU over " ?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

With Brexit Britain knowingly screws the rest of the EU over

Would you care to elaborate that remark ?

How is The U.K. " Screwing The Rest Of The EU over " ?

By shrinking the EU economy by $ 3.04 trillion and its population by 64.1 million, and by leaving the EU budget $15 billion short. For some member states it is a loss of an ally too. For all member states (including Britain) and their businesses a highly costly period of adaption and adjustment awaits.

Billions of dollars worth of blame needs to be placed.

I for one do not blame the British, though. But a lot of people do. I blame the institution of the EU itself - it has developed an incredible arrogance towards its citizens.

edit on 26-12-2016 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The UK and USA should work togdther to sink the EU before the EU does more damage to the west.

USA shouldnt try and prop up a failing institution for a quick few dollers in the short term.......

new topics

top topics

join