It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

looks like we have to go back to an apartment.....any apartment dwellers here?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: TinySickTears

Ever thought about getting a cheap trailer/mobile home. Some folks will give you one if you haul it away.

Trailer spaces are cheap.

thought about it.
trailer lot rent around here is 400 a month all day. that is just the lot rent. then there is the rent on the trailer. that brings me back up to about the rent on the apartment.
there is only a couple parks i would even entertain so its probably not going to happen.

we already have the complex picked out. i lived there about 10 years ago so i know the complex and the area. it will suit us fine. will just take some getting used to.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I am planning on building a container home-really inexpensive if u can do any of the work yourself-which unfortunately I can't. Interest rates have been so low it's a shame to rent as the economy under Trump will soar as will interest rates for homes.

Please think about being creative-apartment living-which I have done very little in my life-is hell. Nothing can replace actually owing-not paying rent or the banks - your own home.

You can purchase a lot and pay the owner directly a low interest rate til it is paid off and get containers quite inexpensively. This would be a whole lot cheaper than even renting and you would end up owning your own unique home. (And
I am NOT talking about a tiny home-yuk.)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Hey TCT! Look at a big picture of New York City....1,000's of apartments.All they go through and without on a daily basis! Can't easily keep a car, has difficulties grocery shopping, going everywhere on foot, subway, taxi. It boggles the mind what big city aparment dwellers go through...

So wherever you go...It's gonna be better....Hey....Let's us know, huh?!
Best...MS
edit on 26-12-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I've lived in apartments most of my lived life, in various buildings. Here's some of the things to consider, and what I look for.

1. You biggest, biggest, biggest problem won't be moving in, but when you decide to leave. Most apartments will make you sign some kind of documentation to keep track of damages. Ask for what the previous tenant put on their form, and go through as much of the apartment, making notes on any of the damage before moving in. If the apartment complex finds something that you left out, you will most likely pay for it.

For example: My ex-gf spilled chocolate milk on the carpet, and failed to tell me about it. The complex chased me down, claiming that particular stain cost me $150 (don't know how they missed the cat puke stains, heh).

2. Try to get a corner unit. This is a luxury, as corner units give you a bit more freedom in terms of noise (you usually have a couple walls between your neighbors). I always aim for an upper-level corner, as I find it easier to live above someone than below them. Right now, I don't live in a corner, so I can't practice the trumpet like at my old place. Ideally, if I didn't have a cat I'd go for an apartment where the downstairs is a store front.

3. Be nice to the management - I've heard many horror stories about people complaining about management not fixing things, or they are just plain rude to the tenants. I've lived in places where management got a 0% score on apartment ratings, but they were nice to me because I was nice to them.

4. I prefer places that don't have a buzzer - Right now, I have a couple people in my building that will buzz the wrong door until you let them in, just because they see you have a light on (I will not let people in unless I invited them over).

5. Do a drive by during the night and day to get a feel for the place. My last apartment was peaceful during the daytime, and then we discovered someone was taking care of troubled youths from Detroit in the evenings...there were 20 people arrested and 8 cop cars on scene. Same group was shooting fireworks at parked cars.

Right now, I'm okay with an apartment to allow me to save up for a downpayment on a home - I'm in what looks to be an old hotel, so I suspect the floors are actually cement, and the walls are not as thin as other places. I also have solid-core doors. My neighbors are okay: Guy below me is silent, the other guys are barely home, and when they do they play jazz/folk/chords on the guitar (very peaceful!). I have to deal with a young couple that becomes possessed at night (I've heard wolves, apes, and an occasional howler monkey), but a couple minutes of slow-clapping or threatening to call a priest to dispel the demons next door usually calm things down.

-fossilera

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Stay in the house to save your families sanity .

Too often in apartments end up with neighbors from hell .

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Stay in the house to save your families sanity .

Too often in apartments end up with neighbors from hell .

my wife is pushing for that...i get where she is coming from but i dont want to be strapped all the time.
we can stay in this house but it will be tight.....less money for entertainment.....not a big deal. it sucks in ohio during the winter but during the spring and summer months, we do # for free.
we love to go to the beach and skip rocks. we go to the nature trails and explore. we ride bikes. go for walks. maybe at the end of that we go get an ice cream or something.....in the winter it is hard though. it is easy to go stir crazy and talk yourself in to going to the mall to get some banging teriyaki chicken then have a walk...boom. there goes 25 bones.....

i am more worried about not being able to get # that pops up like tires on the car. this or that...# you dont plan on.
im ok with having this house and being tight on entertainment. not ok with having this house and not being able to fix my car.

she is pushing hard though for a certain complex if we end up doing this. it is very nice and a large apartment. im pushing for one down the street cause it is also very nice but it is 100 a month cheaper. of course it is smaller which is why she is balking at it. i dont care about size....within reason. i dont want something all ragged out.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I moved to an apartment after having owned my own home since 2002. A VERY BIG house. There are pros and cons.

I have at least 1 thread on this, I moved last month.

You will save money. I don't know where you live, but my apartment includes gas (both for cooking and heat, recently I found some apartments were including heat but not cooking gas, and they were NOT clear on it in the ad, luckily the apartment I picked has an electric stove and separate electric oven). Myself and housemate use the crock pot and microwave mainly anyway. Have used the oven once and the cooktop twice.

There are less lights to remember to turn off and we had bought a few motion detector battery operated lights previously. LED. Which will stay on long enough, for say, the bathroom in the middle of the night. I just wave my hand.

I looked at probably 8 apartments before I decided/they decided and one I had to get a security deposit back from as my housemate recognized the landlord from the past..a weird guy. You should google the landlord as they will be checking you.

I have difficulty getting used to the noise. The tenant upstairs has 2 rambunctious teens and she works nights, so they are roughhousing sometimes until 1am. They do laundry 10x more than myself and the other 2 apartments combined and at all hours. The laundry room is under my bedroom. An unbalanced washer at 4am is like waking to an earthquake.

The NOISE will be difficult to get used to. Try for an upper apartment. I had to pick lower as my housemate is handicapped. I hear their fridge buzz constantly.

The management company is slow to fix things and slow to shovel or bring ice melt. So, if you live where it snows, bring a shovel and rock salt and a salt spreader. For the time it takes for you to tell them they are not doing their job.

Otherwise, I was lucky. $750 a month, maybe 8 blocks from where I lived before in one of the safest villages in America. 3 entrances. And a set of screened french doors to the outside besides the 3 entrances. A massive living room. A normal sized dining room. A small kitchen, but with ample large cupboards, drawers and wrap around counters. Some of the cupboards open into the dining room on the other side. I have the space, yet a really small floor to wash in there (good thing!).A normal sized old fashioned, fully tiled bath, mainly black and white tiling and a HUGE bathtub. I get a MASSIVE storeroom in the basement. The closets are good sizes. Big coat closet and linen closet. Wood floors all shiny re done. Many original fixtures in the 1924 built brick building and a HUGE patio, 2 of the entrances leading to the patio. The washer is free, the dryer is coin. Odd for any apartment building to have 1 free. Not complaining.

Look at a lot of them!!! Don't jump too fast. Pay first and security. No reason for 1st, last and security. Take pictures the day of signing. Write down any damage you see on BOTH copies of the lease. The property manager will probably try to rush you. Too bad. Get any promises for fixing things in writing or text right there.

Meet the neighbors. If you have to deal with coin laundry, it's always nice to be able to knock on a door and ask for change for a dollar if you don't feel like going out.

Invest in heavy curtains. A lot of apartment walls are paper thin. You don't want noise going in or out. Some people hang tapestries. Put down throw rugs. Put in noise cancelling plexiglass on windows.

When I signed the lease, only the one apartment across the hall was occupied. Later the 2 above got filled. I never see the woman upper and across. But I cannot escape the noise from directly above.

Most should be freshly painted when you move in. If it isn't, they just don;t care and may to charge you when you move out.

It took longer to find than I thought, but I am glad it took a lot to look through. I bet it would be louder if there were more than 4 units. It is in a residential neighborhood, no other apartments around.

I would recommend against a 2 family where the owner is the other family, they would probably be incredibly nosy.

If you have animals, I noticed a few ridiculous ads, like $20 extra PER MONTH PER CAT. UMM...no. If you have a dog or dogs, there is usually 1 upfront fee. Where I moved accepts 2 cats or one quiet dog at no extra charge.

The patio is big enough for my huge grill, a small wicker loveseat, 2 bikes, a small table. I said goodbye to the huge Intex pool, but if I can't handle NO pool I will get the tiniest intex pool to sit in LOL. it will fit, but will block my housemate's door to the patio. Screw 'em LOL.

That is my advice.

edit on 28-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I'm going from owning a house, looking to rent one. Can't really put much in other than to say renting a house appears to cost more than owning one.

I THOUGHT owning would be cheaper than renting when I bought my house in 2002. Wow, was I wrong. Selling it even costs a vast sum now that I have moved into an apartment. Never again unless I marry wealthy.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: olaru12

Ever thought about getting a cheap trailer/mobile home. Some folks will give you one if you haul it away.

Trailer spaces are cheap.

thought about it.
trailer lot rent around here is 400 a month all day. that is just the lot rent. then there is the rent on the trailer. that brings me back up to about the rent on the apartment.
there is only a couple parks i would even entertain so its probably not going to happen.

we already have the complex picked out. i lived there about 10 years ago so i know the complex and the area. it will suit us fine. will just take some getting used to.

Yes, I looked into nicer trailer home parks. Would have cost more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join