It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Temple of the Jedi Order Denied Religion Status In Britain.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Well it looks like the Jedi order won't be getting official recognition as an organised religion any time soon as the U.K. government’s Charity Commissioner has issued a public statement of denial.

Jedi order fails in attempt to register as religious group

Personally can't see anything wrong with it and considering there exists zero evidence for any organised religion out there then surely each belief system (or opinion) is as plausible and valid as one other?

Suppose this subject also brings up other issues like why some religious groups think their opinions are more important than others (if they were factual you wouldn't need to have faith in them) and what exactly constitutes a non provable belief system ('jediism' is at least theologically coherent as Buddhism or Jainism).

Anyway, no tax breaks for Yoda anytime soon.

Temple of the Jedi Order Denied Religion Status In Britain

Star Wars has been making headlines around the world lately thanks to the attempts of a group of real-life “Jedi” who have been petitioning the U.K. government to recognize Jediism as an official religion.

Unfortunately for these Jedi masters and their young padawans, their most recent application was denied. The U.K. government’s Charity Commissioner issued a public statement of denial, stating that they do not believe the Temple of the Jedi Order (TOTJO) to be a religion, based on their existing deity-specific definition of what constitutes a religion:

Based on the proposed governing document, the evidence received in support of the application and the content of the website of TOTJO, the Commission is not satisfied that the observance of the Force within Jediism is characterised by a belief in one or more gods or spiritual or non-secular principles or things which is an essential requirement for a religion in charity law

Before you scoff at these Jedis as simply a group of overzealous fanboys and fangirls, consider that in several recent government censuses in the U.K., Jediism has ranked as the most popular alternative to organized religions. Given that science fiction stories (or at least a former science fiction author…don’t sue me please) have been known to lead to the creation of at least one worldwide religion before, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the Temple of the Jedi Order might one day soon win their legal battles and let the Force be with us all.

link

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12
Perhaps the Charity Commissioners are not convinced that anyone genuinely believes in it.
If they think it is just a game that people have been working up into a fake religion as a kind of trolling exercise, they will see no reason to recognise it as a religion for tax-avoidance purposes.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Obviously, the British Prime Minister is a Sith Lord.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Order 66 is being carried out.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Is this their Home Page? Temple of the Jedi Order

According to this page, TotJO is a 501(c)(3) or 501c3 organization, for U.S. tax purposes. It seems easier to be recognized for tax purposes in the U.S.

Jedi Believe

In the Force, and in the inherent worth of all life within it.

In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including the death penalty.

In a society governed by laws grounded in reason and compassion, not in fear or prejudice.

In a society that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or circumstances of birth such as gender, ethnicity and national origin.

In the ethic of reciprocity, and how moral concepts are not absolute but vary by culture, religion, and over time.

In the positive influence of spiritual growth and awareness on society.

In the importance of freedom of conscience and self-determination within religious, political and other structures.

In the separation of religion and government and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

The U.K. government’s Charity Commissioner issued a public statement of denial

They can deny us but we will never be stopped , the Force is with us.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The U.K. government’s Charity Commissioner issued a public statement of denial

They can deny us but we will never be stopped , the Force is with us.

If the government recognizes you guys, then you'll be part of the establishment. You won't be the "Rebels" anymore.
edit on 26-12-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
More people worship the golden arches at the temple of Micky D's.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
My biggest problem seeing as I'm wanting to be like a Jedi is that I understand this to not be a religion in any sense of the word. It is just a way of life, I've seen several instances where Jedi and a few Sith have religious items that are based with in the individual's cultural origin.
edit on 26-12-2016 by misterhistory because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
"jedi " is NOT a religion - get over it

no one rational claims :

" samurai "

" pirate "

" viking "

" ninja "

" hells angel "

etc etc et are reigions - thus - " jedi " isnt either

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think they would be better taking ALL religions OFF charity status. All the main religious faiths are the most richest in the worlds and should not have any charity. They are the ones that should be giving charity not taking it.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

None of those things can be even considered a religion...Jedism could be in fact Lucas himself said it was based on Taoism.

popculturephilosopher.com...

It will be recognised one day and I will be a member

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Quite right. Jediism is a joke.

Making up religions as a statement, perhaps against established religions, or because you are just sad, is ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

To you may be but I had the same chat with someone the other day you see to many star wars helped mold our morals it helped us become who we are today, I often think "what would yoda do?", to you it may be sad but I will consider myself a gray jedi (offshoot of jedism) and will continue to champion the force.
We aint blowing ourselves up because the Force tells us to do so so what is the harm?.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

As I browsed the website, I came across the forum section. This was interesting.

Advice Request: Negative reactions to Jediism
How have you worked with people who negatively and condescendingly reacted to the idea of Jediism?
~Lestaut

AveryR1988 replied ...
I've only been here a year. But I have found that it is helpful to call it something else at first. I called it Ashla around my family. Once they asked what the heck it was, I would tell them but not mention star wars or Jedi. Once they understood and accepted the concepts ( a few months as they are stubborn to see anything from another perspective), That's when I started using the name. They had already accepted it under another name so they just went with it. Of course they still had questions like if I worship Yoda or think Star wars is real, but they knew enough by then to accept my answers.

The first Wiccan that I knew personally would tell people he was a Buddhist. That was back in the days('80s) before Wicca was respectable. So Taoist with light saber? That's cool.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Thats why I'm a Gray Jedi, light and dark I follow the path in between
Star Wars did introduce me to Taoism.
edit on 26-12-2016 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

What does it matter where your strength comes from. Just because you could be shooting force lightning out your fingers out of rage doesn't mean you couldn't just be frying up some eggs in the morning for a homeless man you let stay in your house last night.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: misterhistory

Exactly I can do both (well the force lightning I'm having a bit of trouble with)..
I'm a happy gray jedi today
getting dressed up as Jedi's and going to take one of my service users for a meal and to watch the rogue one....running around with a dude who has the mental age of 11 with lightsabers
I don't know who will enjoy it more me or him lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Taking a step back and reading the judgement as to why the Temple of the Jedi Order cannot get charitable status - and therefore qualify for tax exemption etc...

The judgement clarified that Jediism was...

6. The definition of Jediism is “…a religion based on the observance of the Force, the ubiquitous and metaphysical power that a Jedi (a follower of Jediism) believes to be the underlying, fundamental nature of the universe.”

The judgement found that...

19. The Commission noted that TOTJO is an entirely web based organisation and the Jedi are predominantly, if not exclusively, an online community.

... and ultimately concluded...

35. The Commission concluded that there is insufficient evidence that the characteristics of a religion in charity law are met for the reasons set out above.

I really encourage people to read the "CHARITY COMMISSION FOR ENGLAND AND WALES / THE TEMPLE OF THE JEDI ORDER - APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION / DECISION OF THE COMMISSION 16 December 2016". One cannot help wonder whether the application was a joke, which has been taken seriously. However, the decision lays out in meticulous detail the legal position and justification.

Source opens as a PDF

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I just read that a while ago

Not fussed tbh If we get religion status tbh I don't need a temple nor any actual Jedis to be what I am.
Would be funny seeing statues of yoda in the temple though.

top topics

join