It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrities That Play Nerds But Are Hotter In Real Life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

The "real life" pictures are often faker than the pictures taken directly from television and movies. My belief is that women usually wear makeup because they want to exist in a fantasy world as much as possible. Wearing makeup involves fantasy. I don't see any way around that.

I've seen the argument made that a man shaving his face is just as much of an artifice as a woman using makeup. I don't agree with that at all. When I shave my face, I'm not presenting myself any differently than I actually am. I could grow a beard, but presenting myself with a beard or without a beard is simply a matter of presenting myself as I am either way. The same cannot be said for presenting yourself with makeup. I feel makeup is deceitful.

If I had to wear makeup to attract people in my personal life, I would tell them all to go to hell. I feel wearing makeup to appear on television is completely different. Television is inherently fake, and being fake in a fake environment is justified in my view.

Here's an analogy that I believe describes what some women do with makeup:

Let's say you go to a used car dealership to buy a car. How would you feel if an old Ford Pinto was remolded to look like a relatively new BMW?
edit on 26-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I am sure you are right, but wouldn't you rather drive that BMW than a beat up old Pinto. Especially in public.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I know women who wander with no makeup. Some are incredibly naturally beautiful, some are loaded with confidence, some don't give a #. Go beaver hunting in a different area to get perspective.

Edit: couldn't get through the video but if you wanna talk about how the media affects our conceptions/people acting on it... Oh well. Some people drink the kool aid
edit on 26-12-2016 by Sillyosaurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Makeup for me, is about emphasizing your good traits and de-emphasizing your not so good traits.

The trick to wearing makeup is to make it look like you aren't wearing makeup.

My eyebrows have thinned a lot as I have gotten older. Thin eyebrows are not very flattering on me, so I wear a little eyebrow shadow to enhance my brows. No one is aware that I am wearing shadow on my brows. Everyone thinks I have natural soft eyebrows.

I wear a little blush on my cheekbones because I don't go out in the sun and I can look a bit sickly pale. The trick is not to overdo it. People don't realize I have blush on. Everyone thinks I have a soft rosy glow. The few times I have gotten a light sunburn, I didn't wear blush because I already had that "rosy glow".

I sometimes wear a light shimmery cream on my eyelids and a little mascara to call attention to my eyes. The trick is not to overdo it. I don't clump up my lashes with mascara so that they look unnatural. Everyone just thinks I have nice dark eyelashes and dewy skin.

My husband swears I don't wear makeup... but I do.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I disagree with OP's opinion on it being fake or that if you wear it it's some fantasy. It's not a game, it's a preference, the OP is old fashioned & judgemental.
Completely up to him if he wants to date a plain jane Pinto but don't try to shame those who prefer not to look their plain selves
Not saying I support makeup overload, just a little to correct a few flaws.

Oddly, I would have imagined him with a beard, a long scraggly one

edit on 26-12-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Make up used for covering , not just tattoos like this video but people who are disfigured

edit on 26-12-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
I disagree completely with your OP.

As a woman I am expected to present myself with my hair fixed and make up on in my daily work life. I don't use much a little powder, dust of eye shadow, mascara and blush.

On my days off I use only eye liner and mascara. My husband likes me better this way.

Same with hair: at work it is curled, at home usually a pony tail or clip.

This is the society that we live in. While I don't wear the amount of makeup a celebrity does in public or on TV, it is still expected. All men actors also have on a full face of makeup also.
BTW: Some people think the nerds are prettier as nerds…just saying

a reply to: violet
That video is awesome! I have many tattoos but because of work they are all hidden. I love it when someone tries to pull me into a conversation talking trash about someone having tattoos. I usually just smile and lift my shirt to show the ones I have that can be easily seen. Judgmental people…pfft!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The narrator of the OP's vid was catty, dull & not particularly engaging, so I went to the source article and think The Richest actually missed the mark. On account that most of these actresses are very hot/pretty in their own right make-up or no make-up, so they're just already naturally hot.
Having noted that, the OP's video makes the narrator sound like he's a jealous middle aged dude pining away for the unattainable.

Now, as for make-up, I don't wear it. It makes my skin itch, and I hate the way it feels on my skin anyway, it's an ever-present urge for me to wash my face if I have make-up on. I do bother to pluck my brows, though, it's the least I can do to not scare people with my natural unibrow hedges up there.

Ultimately, my husband doesn't care one way or the other. If someone else wants to play in the face paint, it's their prerogative I guess. Kind of like wearing shapewear. Some people might think it's false advertising after it all comes off, but if you like it, whatever.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Makeup for me, is about emphasizing your good traits and de-emphasizing your not so good traits.

The trick to wearing makeup is to make it look like you aren't wearing makeup.

My eyebrows have thinned a lot as I have gotten older. Thin eyebrows are not very flattering on me, so I wear a little eyebrow shadow to enhance my brows. No one is aware that I am wearing shadow on my brows. Everyone thinks I have natural soft eyebrows.

I wear a little blush on my cheekbones because I don't go out in the sun and I can look a bit sickly pale. The trick is not to overdo it. People don't realize I have blush on. Everyone thinks I have a soft rosy glow. The few times I have gotten a light sunburn, I didn't wear blush because I already had that "rosy glow".

I sometimes wear a light shimmery cream on my eyelids and a little mascara to call attention to my eyes. The trick is not to overdo it. I don't clump up my lashes with mascara so that they look unnatural. Everyone just thinks I have nice dark eyelashes and dewy skin.

My husband swears I don't wear makeup... but I do.

You have it together, woman.
Good post.
!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I didn't watch the whole video- this guys idea of "real life" is being photographed after having professional make-up artists and hairstylists work on you for hours, your clothes chosen by others or designed by professionals especially for you, and posing as told or being bombarded with the flashes of hundreds of pro photographers on a red carpet.
Not very "real life" to me.

Also, it hasn't been that long I realized that men don't see behind such stuff- the idea that you are being fooled seemed ridiculous to me but I have now heard a few men claim this is the case. I see behind the makeup and I see what a woman looks like underneath it.

Just like man wearing a red tee shirt- I can't complain he is "tricking me" into thinking he has a red torso when in fact, he does not.

He probably chose that teeshirt because it goes with the pants he has or maybe red compliments his complexion, he probably wasn't thinking "haha! I'm going to fool those women out there!!".

But what I think is interesting is the american idea of being sexy as so important. If an american tells me they think I look hot, I understand it is supposed to be a compliment. If a french person says that to me, I understand it is a criticism. It is the way a girlfriend would try to let me know I need to go change before we head out. (this happened to me a couple weeks ago, with a dress that had a neckline which revealed some cleavage).

Looking hot is seen as a show of low self esteem. As if you are trying to pull attention away from who you really are naturally, in your personality.

This made me question why american women, once married, and no longer looking for a mate, would try to look "hot".
I had to examine myself. I came up with the answer some here did- it is expected of us by our society. We take it for granted that looking inviting to the male eye is being "feminine". To the point that even with no one seeing us, we feel feminine when in our home wearing high heels, make up, and thick long freshly curled hair. We have integrated this value to a point it is no longer about what others will see, it is about how we shall see ourselves.

After many years of having very long hair that cost a fortune to upkeep, wearing lots of make up and sexy type clothes, I finally gave in to the french idea and adopted the Jaime Lee Curtis look.... short grey hair, little to no make up, and classic clothing. I was surprised to have so many comment that I look younger, and...more feminine!
I thought I was giving up on the femininity.

Seems there are variations on what femininity is.

For them, a real woman is wise, not sexy. Wisdom in terms of loving herself as she is naturally, and not feeling the need to provoke sexual arousal.

I have voiced my feeling here before, that part of make up was, for me, an expression of my emotional state. The colors were a way of communicating how I felt at that time- red if I feel energetic, purple if I feel mystical, imaginative, orange and gold if I feel happy and creative, pink if I feel sensitive and affectionate, etc.

This is exactly the same reason I choose clothes on any given day, to communicate my mood- not to fool anyone, on the contrary! To make what is inside more clearly visible. So people around me know right away, through such colors, what they can expect from me.

From there, I understand wanting to look hot sometimes- sometimes you feel sexually aroused and want that to be clear. But like.... at work??? Why would a woman wear plunging necklines like The Good Wife, when going to the office??
You're likely to spark romantic intrigue. But then that is where you find the strange hypocrisies over there- the lawsuits over sexual harrassment. Women continue to dress sexy, and claim that men shouldn't misread that, that they should resist and control their natural responses.

That is the crux once again. That our natural urges and automatic responses are the evil dangerous parts we need to fight against and oppress.
In a culture which values the man who can oppress his natural beastly emotions, this is a test of sorts, and women can actually use that to determine who is a "strong willed man". Tease and provoke those drives, and see who is able to ignore and oppress them.

The trap, for women, in such a culture, is that finding a man able to ignore his emotions, and getting together with him means he'll be ignoring YOU one day.... until you have to act crazy to get his through his thick skull.

I remember my mom telling me once that she loved her husband because she could sob in bed all night, and he'd not even notice. She thought it was so wonderful that he was immune to her suffering. This caused me a lot of confusion.
But she thought it was admirable and a sign of his great intellect. Her dream was to be like him and no longer be afflicted with the curse of empathy.

Whatever. I have come to the conclusion that empathy, and the emotional sways it causes in me, is a gift and very useful.
But that is all a matter of perspective, I guess.

edit on 26-12-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Insults women, wonders why he has no girlfriend.

In this case, as well as others he has written about, the theme is the same, in my view.
In all the failed relationships he has written about, his choice of action were based upon what he "thought", not what he "felt".

The seemingly "reasonable" conclusions- one woman wants a child, the other doesn't, so choosing to break up with the one that has different goals than his is the "logical" choice... until he finds out that "logical" and "reasoned" decision was faulty because of elements unknown at the time.

This kind of relating will absolutely result in relationships with women who will either give up quickly and leave, or else mount the volume trying to get through. You can play psychic and predict it.

Profusion, making your decisions and choices based only upon what is evident, seen, known and logical seems like a good idea to the ego. The ego repeatedly thinks it knows everything. You have seen that it repeatedly turns out to be wrong about that.
Those unknowns and unseens are what your emotions can fill you in on. They only SEEM irrational because they are giving you info on things you cannot yet see! FEEL whether or not you should break up with your girlfriend or not! Feel whether she truly wants to break up with you or not! I am betting that would help you out in many ways, in your love life.

Have some faith in your intuition, listen to your heart as much as your head, and I am willing to bet you'll find a better relationship with a woman.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Bah, and some of us have skin that doesn't LIKE makeup at all. So we either spend hours with it and all the things we would need to do to keep our faces from reacting negatively to it ... or we just plain do without around 99% of the time.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Taking your analogy literally, it's far better to drive the Pinto in some neighborhoods, driving the BMW makes you (or it) a target, not safe.

There are many other analogies that one might apply - "Lipstick on a Pig" comes to mind - but those should be left for others to explore.

I reject women's makeup in general! Not that I have a complete say in the matter, but my preference is for none or minimal, almost unnoticeable. Wives and significant others will have their way in the matter and you can bet the more women that are expected to attend, the greater will be their attention to their makeup.
Don't get me started about weddings, even as a guest (heaven forbid you're attending the proceedings with a bridesmaid).

So I must respectfully reject your analogy. Sorry, I'm more of a truth-in-packaging-GMO-labeling kind of guy WYSIWYG.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Bravo! A beautiful post.

An intriguing Avatar Madame!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Upon on observation, this particular poster creates threads to purposely get a rise out of people. Stop feeding the Beast!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
The "real life" pictures are often faker than the pictures taken directly from television and movies. My belief is that women usually wear makeup because they want to exist in a fantasy world as much as possible. Wearing makeup involves fantasy. I don't see any way around that.

I'm not sure that "women" are the one's living in the fantasy world. These are all actresses who play a role of a "nerd"...it is all make-believe and fantasy. The "real-life" photographs are them doing their jobs, promoting themselves and their chief commodity, again, themselves.

What make the characters that they play attractive and interesting is that they are not self-obsessed, and attention seeking, quite the opposite of what being an actress in Hollywood is all about. Which is not to say that some of the actresses in question are not also nerdish and intelligent, but they are on TV or in films because they are also attractive and it pays better to market that.

I don't think make-up is really here nor there.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
And just like men who shaven their face to make it look more defined or so less as a preference. In that way you are "presenting yourself differently than you actually are." Women use makeup the same. When you have blonde eyelashes and brows makeup defines these features, eyes pop and eyebrows stand out, being that it brings more character to the face and re defines it's shape. To those even unaware of hair color pairing it's pretty obvious most natural redheads and blondes don't have black or brown eyelashes and eyebrows by nature.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Insults women, wonders why he has no girlfriend.

What specifically was an insult to women in what I wrote? If I insulted anyone, I insulted all those who wear makeup. I don't wonder why the relationships I've discussed on this forum have failed. I don't wonder why I'm single now. That is completely my own choice.

originally posted by: Bluesma
Profusion, making your decisions and choices based only upon what is evident, seen, known and logical seems like a good idea to the ego. The ego repeatedly thinks it knows everything. You have seen that it repeatedly turns out to be wrong about that.

I rely on intuition a lot. I used intuition when I made that decision. I believe the decisions to break up with both of those women were absolutely correct. There's more to the story than I've written. I don't want to share more about it.

originally posted by: dreamingawake
And just like men who shaven their face to make it look more defined or so less as a preference. In that way you are "presenting yourself differently than you actually are." Women use makeup the same.

Going by your logic, having your hair cut is equivalent to putting makeup on. Removing hair from your body is not in the same ballpark as adding something from outside of your body to your body.
edit on 27-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
What specifically was an insult to women in what I wrote?

Oh, nothing. It was a highly complimentary piece on the female psyche and form. It should have come with a large stick to beat away all the women who will be jostling at your doorstep to be the first to become your soul mate due to your charm and delicateness in handling the topics.

edit on 27-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

top topics

<<   2 >>

join