It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six more radio signals from deep space deepen mystery: Are we being hailed by intelligent beings?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
a reply to: Riffrafter

could parallel the amount of energy generated by the Sun for a whole day!

This amount of energy more or less rules out ET I think .... So much energy just to communicate ???
As excited as I am right now I've seen this before, it's always turns out to be a (unknown) natural phenomenon a hoax or a measurement error....

It doesn't seem so far fetched to me. If we on earth knew that life existed way out there, how much energy would we develop just to make the communication?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Sounds like they let the phone right 6 times and hung up.

Will somebody please pick up the damn phone!!!!! ET is calling.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RiffrafterThe armies of the light are at hand. Divine Intervention is at hand.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Davg80
a reply to: Namdru

or we could be creating our own destiny by the way we think, for example if it was disclosed that it was Gods that were coming to sort us out, and we were inclined to put our belief en-masse of our overlord gods because,that was the narrative "they" spun to us through their many media platforms, then its quite possible that we could create those gods, the most powerful people would be those that own the info and the means to get "news" out there. so Fake news, could become real news due to the belief put into it.
like i said though.... anything is possible!

That's why we have ATS. To remind ourselves that just because we are paranoid, does not mean "they" are not really trying to pull the wool (or LED goggles, rather) over our eyes and trap us in some kind of fantasyland that wastes all our time and energy. To all evidence "THEY" -- human society and economics especially -- is trying to do just that.

Which is why I live in a town full of musicians, artists and luddites. Analog Rocks!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

It will probably employ a symbolic language founded in mathematics, which could be translated into human language and the beginning of the message would contain the Rosetta Stone for decoding it. It would therefore repeat at certain intervals, while containing a nested hierarchy of data, to include the whole message from beginning to end.

I agree that it would be encoded in such a way that any sufficiently advanced civilization would be able to interpret it. To do so would require the use of something that all advanced civilizations would have to discover in order to "evolve" and begin to understand the universe. Mathematics fits that bill perfectly!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ArcAngel

Thanks for posting that information.

I agree that it could certainly be from some "natural" source. But the only ones that would "fit" this phenomena would be from a neutron star or Magnetar, correct?

The problem is, as far as I know, we have never detected an FRB from a neutron star or Magnetar. Yet.

More study of the known "natural phenomena" as well as this region in space where the signals originate and is still unknown, is most definitely required.

No matter how it ultimately shakes out, this is terrific stuff!
edit on 1/3/2017 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect
I would say it is not the humans on this planet that are being hailed, but it is the aliens on this planet.
Which is why the codes are very brief in duration. They can extrapolate the hidden info in those burst that we cannot.

Wow....now there's something to think about.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I mean who could send intelligent radio bursts with the power of a sun? Gods. Or men with the power of gods.

Hope your wrong about that last one...
edit on 4-1-2017 by LonnyZone because: For holy reasons

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ByteChanger

HAAHHAHAHA good one

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: lance_covel

originally posted by: frenchfries

could parallel the amount of energy generated by the Sun for a whole day!

This amount of energy more or less rules out ET I think .... So much energy just to communicate ???
As excited as I am right now I've seen this before, it's always turns out to be a (unknown) natural phenomenon a hoax or a measurement error....

It doesn't seem so far fetched to me. If we on earth knew that life existed way out there, how much energy would we develop just to make the communication?

As much as required I would think.

To not do everything we could in order to communicate back would be a terrible indictment of us as a species. Especially if the other civ already knows we're here.

Rude wouldn't even begin to describe it...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   

ano a hate it when folk dont text back.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Davg80

ano a hate it when folk dont text back.

I know, right?

[silly grin]

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LonnyZone

I mean who could send intelligent radio bursts with the power of a sun? Gods. Or men with the power of gods.

Hope your wrong about that last one...

I hope so too. Or at least, in case I'm right, I sure hope they are super-duper nice people!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

"minor point of interest regarding the Spitler Burst.” The email subject line popped up on Shami Chatterjee’s computer screen just after 3 in the afternoon on Nov. 5, 2015.

But more and more FRBs [Fast Radio Bursts] kept showing up — 26 have been counted so far, including the Spitler burst, detected by the astronomer Laura Spitler in data from 2012 — and scientists had to agree they were real.

...Paul Scholz, a graduate student at McGill University in Montreal and a collaborator of Chatterjee’s. He was performing astrophysical “due diligence,” sifting with the help of a supercomputer through all the telescope data that had been collected from the part of the sky where the Spitler burst originated [2012], to see whether the source might send a second signal. According to Chatterjee, after two years of doing this and seeing nothing, expectations had dimmed, but “it was just part of a regular rotation; you put in a few minutes to look for it anyway just in case.”

And suddenly, just like that, Scholz had spotted a repeater. The discovery was “both amazing and terrifying,” Chatterjee said — amazing, because “everyone knew that FRBs don’t repeat,” and terrifying because of the gargantuan energy required to produce even one of these bursts. Perhaps the only thing fiercer than emitting the energy of 500 million suns is doing it again.

Quantmagazine.org, April 18, 201 - A Cosmic Burst Repeats, Deepening a Mystery.

Now that is real interesting! The story is told kind of "story style" instead of "space news" style. For those that want a synopsis, the timeline is: 2012, astronomer Spitler spots an FRB (they gave it her name); over 2 years a grad student booking time on a supercomputer was reviewing the data; Nov. 5, 2015 he sent an email with the subject, "Minor point of interest..." where he notes that the FRB from the original 2012 Spitler data has repeated!!!

FRBs are gianormous short bursts of radio wave energy. As stated above, up to "500 million suns" worth of power! How they are created have been thought about. Almost all ideas are catastrophic events.

Now one has repeated!!!

What that means is half the ideas on how they are created are wrong. Which is why science is so cool! Observe, theorize, try to test theory, if wrong, back to the drawing board.

Wonders of universe cease to impress!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Plotus

my thoughts exactly, is there a pattern or just random noise.

Doesn't one burst require the energy our sun produces in one day.

I say text them back. We will get a reply in about 100,000 years?

Hallo!

50,000 year wait......

Hallo received and sent!

50,000 year wait......

What is your name........
edit on 18-4-2017 by neutronflux because: Fixed this and that

edit on 18-4-2017 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Ray Kurzweil:

www.cloudpro.co.uk...

I think that should be read all human intelligence which means no more PM on ATS.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I wonder if they were able to record the burst at a high enough bitrate and slow it down, if they would find it contains data?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join