It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six more radio signals from deep space deepen mystery: Are we being hailed by intelligent beings?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This would not be the way I would try to signal other intelligent life.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

A agree. If the intent were to be to say "Here I am and I'm really clever! You'd better watch your step!", an equivocal signal would not be the preferred method.

Blowing up a star in some really weird manner would make a better billboard.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Perhaps it's not as advanced as we would perceive to be? Perhaps, just "slightly" more advanced than us? They don't have to be super dooper advanced beings do they? What with the amount of life in space, surely there has to be planets out there like us and as advanced as us? Not everything has to be "Advanced" does it?

They are probably wondering the same thing, locked away on their oblate spheroid too.....ahem.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I would be interested in the numerology of these bursts. In other words they say the most recent one came in a burst of 6. Therefore the other two must have been some combination of numbers--maybe 5 or 6, or 8 and 3, for instance--that at least equals 11.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
On further research, tentatively, something doesn’t add up.

This article below says that in March they received a 10 burst this year, and now a 6 burst.

www.sciencealert.com...

If the other burst were in 2007 and 2012 then something doesn’t add up, unless the information in one or both of these articles is incorrect. Or the other two experiences only equaled a half of a signal.

These science guys might have their data wrong. Maybe.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
Yeah. Well, that article seems pretty muddled. Don't know 'bout Fiona.

Here's the new paper she's talking about. It includes the data. The detection has a lot to do with where and when the 'scope was aimed, at the time.

arxiv.org...

edit on 12/26/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
a reply to: frenchfries

I can imagine a high tech device which behaves much like what we know as a 'LightHouse'

a beacon of radio energy, crammed with a densely packed 'code' (their version of HTTP) that sweeps around the sky just like the 'lighthouse' beam-of-light in the proposed analogy

only an advanced enough civilization would be able to detect the pulses of radio-waves packed with code

only an intelligent & advanced but distant civilization would seek to decipher the code in these short bursts

Oh, did it say that the energy burst was packed with code?!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Thanks for the link

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Are they Still sending out telemarketer calls? I think they have an India accent.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Like global warming, it may take thousands of years to receive the full picture. We may have already missed most of the signal, if the originating beings have million-year life spans.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I think is been long enough and we all are ready....and by all I mean ATS.
Before I start getting bombarded by all the 'cray's'

nice find!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

The last I'd heard, the EM Drive was still under investigation and the Chinese were testing it (or a version of it) in orbit.

NASA Eagleworks were still testing and there was a paper last November that seemed to ratify that the thrust effect was real.

from wikipedia...

The Chinese tests reported by the International Business Times report were later corroborated; at a press conference in Beijing on 10 December 2016 at the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST), Yue Chen, head of the communication satellite division at CAST, confirmed the agency is already testing an EmDrive in low-Earth orbit onboard an "experimental verification platform" believed to be the Tiangong-2 space station, and that it has been funding research in the area for the last five years. It stated that the current prototype generates only a few millinewtons of thrust, and that it will have to be scaled up to at least 100-1000 millinewtons;

With only a few milinewtons of thrust it doesn't seem very practical to me... I Hope it will become very usefull in the future.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
These 'signals' are being detected by processing broadband frequencies into a Fourier analysis and tuning it with gaussian filters. This only tells us that there is a fundamental signal present, but it is far from coherrent, as it is basically the carrier. It is so weak, that the hopes of getting any data off it is near zero. That, of course, is if they use radio communication in the same way we do.....
edit on 27-12-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LumenImagoDei
Awesome find! There's no way we are the only intelligent life within such an unfathomably massive universe, the universe is perfect for life, just look at the ecosystem our planet alone has.

Unfortunately these signals were most likely sent millions of years ago and the thing that sent it most likely gone. Fascinating story though, S&F.

There's no way we are a intelligent life form

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The obvious question is , how old are they?

Secondly, IF we think its a form of contact have we a way to reply and that beggars, should we reply..

Can we even decode this stuff?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
a reply to: St Udio

I can imagine a high tech device which behaves much like what we know as a 'LightHouse' a beacon of radio energy, crammed with a densely packed 'code' (their version of HTTP) that sweeps around the sky just like the 'lighthouse' beam-of-light in the proposed analogy

Good one HTTP lighthouse comes in mind....
And they do that for many mijlons of years ? I mean what is the change we detect a pulse during the 'sending time'.
Look I understand what you saying , basically they use tech that we use too just somewhat bigger. But the energy output equal to an entire sun output of a day unlikely ??? So what's the point.... another civilization hears a big beep. Can we communicate ? how much time takes it to communicate ? Why not going at sublight speed to an planet with methane output (one can see that with spectrometer) ? Takes less energy and leads to real communication. Timedilatation would make for a very fast trip in the reference frame of the alien astronauts....
Anyway exited as I am I still think it's just a glitch ...

If they are exploring space and are just guessing where other civilisations are, then it would make sense to just have a short transmission that is fired out in every likely direction. Between the time that it takes for the signal to reach the nearest star and a reply to return, they can explore others areas. It might take some time for the other civilisation to decode that simple pulse. Depending on the frequency, you could get a good few Megabits or Gigabits across.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

If they are exploring space and are just guessing where other civilisations are, then it would make sense to just have a short transmission that is fired out in every likely direction. Between the time that it takes for the signal to reach the nearest star and a reply to return, they can explore others areas. It might take some time for the other civilisation to decode that simple pulse. Depending on the frequency, you could get a good few Megabits or Gigabits across.

Ha HTTP and like pinging like internet Wireless wifi broadcast...Guess their Tech will be the same as ours. Maybe they are even a bit like us... Sitting waiting before a screen eating alien donuts until the megabits arrive from a far away galaxy not exploring anything anymore....

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: Riffrafter

Magnetar quake?

Certainly possible.

Do you have any info you can post regarding a recently discovered Magnetar quake that this might be attributable to?

Thanks!

Magnetars are a particular type of neutron star that has an enourmous magnetic field.

On December 27, 2004 there was a large, short duration, gamma ray burst (GRB 041227) which came from the Saggitarian constellation.

The burst was phenomenally powerful at a magnitude of -29 and it was the brightest such event known, releasing an estimated 1.3 x 10^39 Joules of energy in about a tenth of a second (this is about the same energy our Sun would release in 100,000 years).

Of course, astronomers went nuts over it trying to gain an understanding of how something could be so powerful.

They identified that although the object at SGR 1806-20 was most likely physically small (about 20 km in diameter), it had an incredible magnetic field of 10^15 Gauss.

When such a condensed matter object compresses further, it fractures as it assumes the new new density - a star quake. It's like a supernova that blasts out energy instead of matter.

The source was about 50,000 light years away, but if it had only (only!) been 10 LY away, it would have ripped off the ozone layer and likely have sterilized the Earth!

Thank God for lots of space.

This (concurrent 'news' 'magnetar event' surely matters so much more ( than some not-adding up frbs . Pics or its not true , audio , or whatever please . Its a rouse ? )

The magnetar event in the above posts , needs a name dubbed its own .
Note the date 27 december 2004 , exactly matching Indian Ocean Tsunami 2004 .

For the world , all of which encounters spaceweather , that fact above is massive massive news , but for' us' its just something we take in our stride , while the world sleeps on .

What I'd like to know , is what's coming behind the initial light burst / shock wave ?

Eg , Light from the sun takes 7-9 minutes to get here , while plasma bursts from cme s take a few hours .
Is it possible we have got more of a blast wave coming after the fastest shockwave (the lightburst of 1/10th of a second) killed a millon or so people on the coasts of the Indian ocean ?
Have we even had a thread on this matter ?
I mean , it's huge , just as it stands .
edit on 27-12-2016 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2016 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I've decoded it! The messages are:

1. "Anybody out there?"

2. "YO...ANYONE OUT THERE???"

3. "Hey, we're really cool folks over here (just in case you were wondering). Got X-Box?"

4. "Anybody out there?"

5. "Yeah, YOU...that's who!"

6. "COOL, we'll be along shortly to suck every last atom of life out of every carbon based lifeform on your planet, drink your beer and then collapse your entire solar system into a quasar which we will use to call the next bunch of SUCKAH's!! ... We out."

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

1. "Anybody out there?"

and the next thing we know

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join