It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College student hounded For Pro-Trump--Bullied and Dropped out-College Says Supports Free Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
In September Andi Maritz was a college freshman who made the mistake of wanting a ride to a Trump event, then she was ridiculed and called names. She was already isolated on the Bryn Mawr college campus becasue she was a republican. The insults were so bad it pushed her to call the college suicide help line, and ultimately dropped out.

Andi Moritz, a college freshman, posted she wanted to ride share to a Trump event. The hell storm of comments calling her a racist and ignorant. The comments also said no one has the right to bigotry, and how Trump is against LGBT and a fascist. She dropped out of Bryn Mawr college and also called a suicide hot line.

Andi Moritz couldn't get the comments out of her head. A Facebook post the Bryn Mawr College freshman made on the school's ride-share page earlier that September day had drawn harsh backlash from dozens of students, most of whom she didn't know.
Bryn Mawr College freshman Andi Moritz, 18, posted a request for a ride to a Trump rally on a college Facebook site. Moritz was ostracized by her classmates through a series of angry comments, calling her ignorant and labeling her a racist. Two days later, she dropped out.

"Nobody has the right to an opinion of bigotry. 0 tolerance for fascists!"

"You want to go campaign for a man who has systematically oppressed entire ethnic/racial groups not to mention the LGBTQIA+ community and many others."

"Why y'all doing this free labor for white supremacists tho."

Moritz called the college's suicide hotline.
www.philly.com...

She felt politically isolated before she quit college, she was a young republican and she was a minority on campus and when she would talk politics with liberals they would just use the race card.

At Bryn Mawr, she'd felt politically isolated. But, she said, it was that night's mean-spirited posts that finally led her to leave.

Being a young Republican and Trump supporter on a largely liberal college campus can be a rough road.

"People did say things to us that you would call insulting," said Sean Egan, 20, president of the University of Pennsylvania College Republicans. "If you tried to talk about something substantive [with liberal students], it would turn into 'He's a racist.' "

The college gave the usual reply of embracing every view. I feel that most colleges are overtly liberal and can't be balanced at this time.

"Freedom of speech and expression can lead to heated debate on campuses, and the Bryn Mawr campus has not been immune from the polarization of views that characterized the campaign. Ad hominem attacks have no place in these discussions and do nothing to help us learn from or better understand one another. We continue to strive to be a place that both affirms freedom of speech and promotes civil discourse."

edit on 25-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
And... there's one more college I don't have to go visit with my high school junior.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Mountainmeg

True, but is there a college that isn't like this?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Mountainmeg

True, but is there a college that isn't like this?

The loudest voice nowadays is pro establishment. I don't see any of them protesting endless war or gubment corruption.

Whatever happened to Kent State?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I feel bad for her, but come on, suck it up. Don't drop out because people give you a hard time. Brush it off and go to work getting that degree. The real world sucks just as badly.....might as well learn it early.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The colleges do not support free speech, they support tuition hikes and student aids teaching while the professor writes another book.
edit on 25-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist
This maybe the first time she has tasted what mom, dad, schools and every one around her had kept from her. The truth.
(snow flake syndrome)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I find this intolerable. The worst part is, if she were bullied for something the left felt like picking up as a slogan she would have been rallied around instead of ostracized

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

The colleges do no support free speech, they support tuition hikes and student aids teaching while the professor writes another book.

They're learning to protest about PCness, LGBT, gun control, Islamic extremism, and basically get deep into debt.

The only out will be to pick up a gun for Uncle Sam, travel to far off lands, meet interesting people, and kill them.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

I find this intolerable. The worst part is, if she were bullied for something the left felt like picking up as a slogan she would have been rallied around instead of ostracized

It isn't right at all, but if I was sending a child to college, I would be sure to tell them that you are walking into a rabid liberal echo chamber, from the student body, to the professors, to the president of the university. That way at least the backlash to any conservative viewpoint expressed wouldn't be a surprise to them.
edit on pm1212201616America/Chicago25p09pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
they actually did her a favor, she is better off not getting a degree from a college like that, now she can go look for a real college where she might actually learn something so she can get a good job when she graduates.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

If this were some one wanted the bathroom becasue they identified with that sex and were told no. Well the ground swell would be epic.

But this is a conservative, and while I think she should toughen up, everyone is built differently.

But the college support free speech, I don't believe them.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

If this were some one wanted the bathroom becasue they identified with that sex and were told no. Well the ground swell would be epic.

But this is a conservative, and while I think she should toughen up, everyone is built differently.

agreed, they give lip service to free speech, but anyone that has been paying attention knows that is crap. Sad thing is, that since I finished grad school in 2009, it has gotten much worse, and shows no signs of improving.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The colleges do no support free speech, they support tuition hikes and student aids teaching while the professor writes another book.

They're learning to protest about PCness, LGBT, gun control, Islamic extremism, and basically get deep into debt.

The only out will be to pick up a gun for Uncle Sam, travel to far off lands, meet interesting people, and kill them.

Not the only out. I would give her a shot at a job. I intend to expand the business again this year and need good people. Why would I want people with a degree in poisoned politics. I need smart people willing to learn.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist
Wow, that is about the time this little peach of a statement came out of the our commander and chief "The police acted stupidly."

Any correlation?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

originally posted by: intrptr

Not the only out. I would give her a shot at a job. I intend to expand the business again this year and need good people. Why would I want people with a degree in poisoned politics. I need smart people willing to learn.

Theres always one exceptional student. What you really want is graduates that proved they can study meaningless droll for thankless professors for no reason other than a piece of paper... they have proven their slavish nature and you can use them to make lots of money.

(again, backs slowly away)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Might as well face it, if you don't support the establishment, if you don't bow down to authoritarian rule, you will be bullied and ostracized.

Suck it up, buttercup.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Correct, life can be cruel.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Oh you can be an old man with a beard, wearing a dress, and go to the toilet with ladies... thats acceptable.

Support trump though, it's the end of the world..

Sad but true...

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Was Andi Maritz a political science major? Did she fail a class or test because of her political views?

It seems to me she was bullied by students who attended the school, students who in no way represent the university as a whole. Now, while the action of the liberal students seems to be on par with the bratty over-privileged political science liberal SJW activist, Ms. Maritz should have done the only reasonable thing to do with these kinds of people, ignore them.

I work at a math department at a community college, and I have graduated from a major university, so I feel slightly qualified to say that I have experienced very few political debates. Math and science students seem less concerned about such things and tend to be productive students regardless of their political views.

It is the political/social science departments that seem to house the crazy outspoken nuts, like that one white professor who wanted the genocide of the white race for Christmas...

I guess my real point would be to not judge all universities and colleges on such a small sample size.

edit on 26-12-2016 by hubrisinxs because: left out a pronoun

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join