It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth Behind the Christ Myth: Ancient Origins of the Often Used Legend

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Here's more information about the Pagan origins of religious traditions that were later incorporated into Christianity. I was well aware of the Pagan influences in Christianity, but I wasn't familiar with this Green man, who seems to be the basis of it all. Just like religions build churches on temples of older religions, Christianity is full of pagan ideas and symbolism.

www.ancient-origins.net...

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I dig winter solstice.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Would you please go upstairs and get your mom for me? I'm sure she doesn't know what it is you are doing, and I would like to talk to her about it. a reply to: CB328

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ezramullins
Would you please go upstairs and get your mom for me? I'm sure she doesn't know what it is you are doing, and I would like to talk to her about it. a reply to: CB328

Do you also have something to say about what he shared? If not, keep walking.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ezramullins

What is the problem mister? Maybe this comment gets removed or something..

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Oh look, zeitgeist again
Been there, discredited that, does the cycle have to come up again so soon

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

This is a late horse, deceased, expired, old news. You could have at least
spiced it up with a cool video.
Here's one;

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure the guy in the article got the interpretation correct. Judism is actually based on a lot older religion, part of it comes from what he said but there were changes made in it. Innana is involved in the creation of Judaism. I think the tie in goes farther back than Innana though, they may have both evolved from an earlier religion we are not aware of yet, most things passed on were verbal or pictures back then. Interpretations start to vary over time.

I actually see the shin symbol represented in the Innana carvings and etchings. The Shin/Sin symbol is a very important symbol in ancient religions as it is today. So there is definitely a relationship but the author of the article is probably off a bit in his assertions of things.
edit on 25-12-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Here's more information about the Pagan origins of religious traditions that were later incorporated into Christianity. I was well aware of the Pagan influences in Christianity, but I wasn't familiar with this Green man, who seems to be the basis of it all. Just like religions build churches on temples of older religions, Christianity is full of pagan ideas and symbolism.

You will not get any argument from me the false church is full of pagan ideas rituals and such.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Didn't get anything good for Christmas? Salty?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

While there is ample evidence that ancient beliefs (including Greek and Hebrew ones) influenced Christianity, what is less spoken about is the role of Christianity on shaping the beliefs of other, supposedly 'ancient' faiths.

The Roman cult of Mithramism which is often suggested to have influenced Christianity (the linked article suggests this), actually rose to popularity 100 to 200 years after Christ.

As did Sol Invictus (copied from a faith created by Roman Emporer Elagabalus @ 280 AD) whose peak dated about 300 years after Christ.

Christianity was the 'big thing' of the time and everyone began copying elements of it - the Mithraists, the Elagabalists, the Sol Invictans and the various Gnostic traditions.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Agreed, at least people are making the effort to explore the available literature instead of just linking to zeitgeist right?

Also, I am glad they didn't make the weak connection to Enlil or Enki given that the Summerians had a "King of Heaven" figure we call Anu who created them and has the role of creator and final judge. LoL I have become so tired of linking to that wiki to point out the titles of those two being "lord of the storm" and "lord of the waters." The two titles of the "bad" guys in the Book of Revelation meaning that this correlation was likely recognized by early church folk.

Usually silly stuff, but I am always grateful for the nuanced responses.

-FBB

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Winter Solstice is my favorite. In fact, the colder the better.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
The Roman cult of Mithramism which is often suggested to have influenced Christianity (the linked article suggests this), actually rose to popularity 100 to 200 years after Christ.

That is incorrect. Mithraism is not a Roman cult, it was Persian, and stemmed from a specific cult within Persian Zoroastrianism. It is generally accepted that Roman soldiers campaigning in Persia brought it back with them as it appealed to warriors.
Mithras precedes Christianity by a long margin. Artaxerxes II and III both inscribed dedications to him some 3-400 years before Christ.

Deny ignorance please.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Oh look, zeitgeist again

Nothing to do with Zeitgeist (which actually did have a fair bit of fact buried in among the rubbish). This is a historical fact. The Green Man is still found on a lot.of churches. This was to encourage the pagans to keep coming after the churches were built on their places of power. Sorry but Christianity is a lie based on older lies when Gods and Goddesses were used as an excuse for things people didn't understand (natural disasters, ball lightning, marsh lights and thar sort of thing, among many others)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall

originally posted by: chr0naut

That is incorrect. Mithraism is not a Roman cult, it was Persian, and stemmed from a specific cult within Persian Zoroastrianism. It is generally accepted that Roman soldiers campaigning in Persia brought it back with them as it appealed to warriors.
Mithras precedes Christianity by a long margin. Artaxerxes II and III both inscribed dedications to him some 3-400 years before Christ.

Deny ignorance please.

The angelic demigod Mithra was a genuinrely ancient Persian belief. The Roman Mithraic Mysteries were different.

Very little was recorded about Mithra in Zoroastrian texts. The earliest Zoroastrian texts, the Gathas don't even mention the name at all.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Oh look, zeitgeist again

Nothing to do with Zeitgeist (which actually did have a fair bit of fact buried in among the rubbish). This is a historical fact. The Green Man is still found on a lot.of churches. This was to encourage the pagans to keep coming after the churches were built on their places of power. Sorry but Christianity is a lie based on older lies when Gods and Goddesses were used as an excuse for things people didn't understand (natural disasters, ball lightning, marsh lights and thar sort of thing, among many others)

Sorry
That would just be your opinion based on what you have learned.
I have read, studied and have a different opinion

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Sorry
That would just be your opinion based on what you have learned.
I have read, studied and have a different opinion

Which would be just your opinion based on what you have learned.
Others have read, studied and all of that too. You aren't special.

Sorry

edit on 12/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Yep! Because your beliefs have been visited and revisited and investigated and discredited......far beyond your capacity to think. So - yes, it has to come up again so soon - because you don't know how to listen.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Truly, your ugliness and contrary disposition know no bounds, do they?
No. No they don't.
That's why you are so unhappy all the time, you know. Just so you know.
Your unhappiness spills out of you onto everyone else, and leaves stains and scars in its wake. Are you most content when you have ruined someone's day? When you have got them to commiserate with your negative worldview and hatred? Is that what makes you think you are "happy" and "strong"? And "right"?

Cuz....it's extremely unbecoming. I can only hope for the sake of your own soul that you are just a troll on here with a handbook of "trollish remarks" to make in order to upset others....because if you honestly do speak from your very core, you are in for a load of suffering in your next several lifetimes. Try to get a grip. You are wrong.

edit on 12/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join