It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 vs F-35 side by side video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Seen a bunch of talk on here recently about the F-22 and the F-35.

Found this great video of both birds in wing-wing flight at RIAT earlier this year. Shows you just how much larger the -22 is than the -35.

Great comparison. From a purely optical standpoint, that -22 is a beautiful piece of machinery. Looks 2-3 gens more advanced than the -35 in my opinion.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The commonality of the shape must mean theres really only one way to design a stealth jet generally but its pretty obvious when you think that you need wings, engines and somewhere for the pilot to sit that the designs will all sort of end up looking the same.

Perhaps with things like the f35's pilot system giving a full view of the area things could get messed up a bit but i'd imagine they'll want it so if it all goes wrong the pilot can still see enough through the cockpit to land it by sight.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BigTrain

Cool now all the cheerleaders to huge Military Industrial Complexes overages and out of control costs can sit back and enjoy the most expensive fighter jet ever to be made.

Edit, cool video, they both are super cool, (it kills me to admit that).

edit on 25-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
both are beautiful planes.
And deadly.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Edit, cool video, they both are super cool, (it kills me to admit that).

Made me think: Evil side of the Transformers. LOL

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

They're designed for different missions so they're going to look different. The F-22 is a pure fighter so it's going to look more like an F-15, and have more room for fuel, and air to air sensors while the F-35 is a bomb truck so it's going to have air to air and air to ground sensors.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Ever made? The cost is for the duration to end life. With all things figured in. Such as maintenance and upkeep.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

most expensive so far....

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Crumbles

most expensive so far....

Until the next one around 2050.
My new truck cost more than the one I bought 15 years ago.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

But first you order the truck, and start to pay. Then ford tells you it will be another 6 months and the price went up 20%. Then you get it and the paint comes off, and you are stuck holding the bag.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

You're right to a point.
We expect these planes to be cutting edge and that takes time and money.
We also expect these planes to last for 30 plus years.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

It's also the most capable aircraft ever built. Aircraft get more expensive every generation built. The F-4 cost less than $3M per aircraft in the 1960s. In the 1970s, the F-15 was $15M. Now it's the F-35. But every one of them is more advanced, and does more than the last. So costs go up.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

But your Ford isn't using bleeding edge technology, pulling up to 9Gs two to three times a day, almost every day, and driving for 60 years.

Yes costs need to get under control, and something does need to be done to correct the problem, but you can't expect a new type of aircraft to be similar in cost to an older one, or to not have SOME kind of overrun as they try to get new technology to work together for the first time. You can put the onus of that overrun on the contractor, such as the KC-46 did, but there's going to be SOME kind of overrun no matter what you do. This is almost rocket science.
edit on 12/25/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The problem I have has anyone said, why does this cost so much? Or the over run in costs is your companies problem?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Right, new aluminum body, state of the art safety and best fuel efficiency.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Because it's doing what nothing else ever flown has been able to do. It's giving pilots, and pilots of other aircraft a God's eye view of the battlefield. The more advanced you get, the more it costs, because it's doing more than previous aircraft. The F-35 is doing things nothing else, not even the F-22 can do. That means money. The costs are dropping right on schedule and are down almost to where they wanted to get them.

Look at the F-16. The first aircraft, built in the late 70s and early 80s, were quite capable and ran $18M a copy. The UAE Block 60/61 Desert Falcon is the most advanced F-16 ever built, and does far more than the early versions. It cost upwards of $80M a copy. The Iraqi F-16IQ ran somewhere between $109-165M a copy, depending on the pricing model used.
edit on 12/25/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It understand tech costs. Pointing at a plane and saying the best is great, and we should strive for the best. My question is, are the Tax payers getting a good return on what maybe is the most expensive aircraft projects ever?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Considering the pilot reports, yes. It's doing far better at tactics development than it's being given credit for. It will be the dominant battlefield aircraft for decades to come.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The pilots liking it isn't what I'm talking about either, although that is the most important part of a successful project.

Is this cost inline with what it should be. I am in no position to know, there are people who do that for a living, and I hope they get a chance to see if the charges are what they should be.

I also wonder about the new Oshkosh replacement for the Humvee, at $400,000 a piece.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

You're never going to get an answer you like. There is no way to know if the costs are in line with what they should be, simply because nothing else like it exists to compare it to. You can't point to anything else flying and say "It cost this much, so the F-35 should cost something similar". The F-35 is the leading edge of an entirely new class of aircraft.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join