It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Two live grenades in luggage of soldier returning from Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Atlanta airport's international terminal was shutdown for a half an hour when it was discovered that a soldier returning from Iraq had two live grenades in his luggage. The soldier had attempted to notify the Transportation Security Agency, but it was to late as the bags had already been screened. The unidentified soldier was released to the military.

sfgate.com
Two live hand grenades were found in the luggage of a soldier returning from Iraq on Thursday, halting operations at the international terminal of Atlanta's airport for about a half-hour, a spokeswoman said.

The soldier was aware of the grenades and tried to alert the Transportation Security Agency, "but it was too late. The bags were already being screened," spokeswoman Felicia Browder said.

She said there was no evacuation of the terminal, but people were kept back a safe distance until a bomb unit removed the grenades.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

SO either he really has a bad memory or he was taking home a few toys with him. Either way, it stands to reason that he will be a guest of Leavenworth for some time and the discharge may be less than honorable.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Not, apparently, an unusual thing for soldiers from combat zones to do. Highly stupid, especially since he didn't bother to defuse it. Its not as if there haven't been any US soldiers who went to the other side in this terror war; he's lucky he wasn't gunned down in the terminal.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
My husband has bullets from Viet Nam he brought back, of course, it was different back then. What was this soldier thinking??

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
was this the first airport his luggage was screened or were there others that just missed the grenades?

edit:typo

[edit on 27-1-2005 by metalmessiah]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I wonder if this has something to do with crossover to the civilian lifestyle? I don't think I could make any judgements about the soldier unless I knew the whole story.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Oh sweet Airport Paranoia.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Sounds like this guy had a beef with somebody back home. Or maybe he just needed to clean out his septic tank.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Its not at all uncommon for soldiers to take things back with them from their military service, like some of their ammo and the like. Not legal, obviously has to be punished, and downright stupid when it invovles live ammo.

There is another thread wherein it was discussed that a woman, who set off metal dector alarms because of a bra underwire, was given a full body cavity search. Was this guy treatd similiarly, i have to wonder.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well that littler forgetfulness is going to get him a court martial, so he will remember for the rest of his life.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
When I heard about it, it was like two days ago the officer had told the someone after the plane had landed.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I could see taking home somethings from Iraq home perhaps some Iraqie money with Saddam on it, but to live grenades was this guy insane.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well I had another theory about this guy forgetfulness perhaps he was making sure that he will not be send to Iraq again

But he sure will be spending sometime in jail.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
you guys are just insulting another american soldier whos having a tough time

top topics

join