It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The people's thread: To be or not to be...free.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'll keep this short and bitter sweet.

Do you think as a nation...as a species...would we be better off with more freedom, or with less freedom? It sounds like a no-brainer, but what happens when one's opinion(s) conflicts with your own?

Which freedoms/liberties would you include? Which ones would you exclude?

Why? Why not?

Remember that the standard that you use to judge others, you must use to judge yourself?

Its not so simple now...is it?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
S&F for you

I need some time to think before I reply to this.

In the meantime I look forward to hearing what others have to say

a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Pleading the 5th.

Explain your goddamn self...too many shady people get away with murder, figuratively and literally, by invoking that right.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Lol. You are wise. I made this thread to see how ATSers can handle the notion of free speech. Some people are cool with ranting as long as others do not disagree. That doesn't work too well in the real world. That is how marginalization and persecution starts.

Personally, I like the Bill of Rights. It is an EXCELLENT start. However, I would clarify that no governing authority may infringe upon ones right to choose what they may or may not put in their bodies (War on Drugs comes to a screeching halt as DEA & FDA weep bitter tears).

That is just one view I hold, but I believe that as long as people do not cause, or threaten to cause, harm to other people, everything is free game.

edit on 24-12-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Absolute freedom for everyone without sacrificing human interaction is always the goal.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Absolute freedom for everyone without sacrificing human interaction is always the goal.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Freedom is but a placebo. We have long since become slaves to our own embellishments and the subliminal propaganda's forced on us by those that truly rule. Do any of you truly believe that Hillary or Trump are really the choice that you would have made or is it the choice that master marketers offered up and made you think they were the products of your own making. theres not many people in the world now that have not grown exposed molded and shaped by marketing to the point where most people don't even know whom they are. Face it the vast majority including most of the ats posters are fabrications that were created, molded, and shaped by Marketers.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

"Freedom" is the freedom to choose for ourselves, determine for ourselves what we want to do wth our lives, as long as that doesn''t interfere with others rights to do the same.

Self determination to be free to live without burdensome gubment regulations controlling everything we do.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

.too many shady people get away with murder, figuratively and literally, by invoking that right.

Then arrest those and try them in a court of law, not clog the system with the people breaking the myriad of petty laws that restrict their freedom to live lives of their own choosing.

How many millions of people in jail nationwide for weed?

Go catch some killers, start with the gubment, the military and factories for war.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

You know, this is hard. I thought about it not too long ago, actually. I was thinking about the Declaration of Independence, first, and how this nation started.

People came here generally FOR their freedom. But soon realized that there HAD to be "rules" or a certain system in order for it to function without collapsing on itself. You can't have a functioning nation or species, one that strives for their individual independence, without giving up a little bit of that independence for the greater good.

Honesty, I like the way ours was set up. I think we should stick to it more than we do nowadays. But, of I could exclude anything it would be having a single man represent us all. Why? That's just weird to me.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

"Freedom" is the freedom to choose for ourselves, determine for ourselves what we want to do wth our lives, as long as that doesn''t interfere with others rights to do the same.

Self determination to be free to live without burdensome gubment regulations controlling everything we do.
exactly. Imagine choosing your experiences knowing difficulty and reward beforehand without being locked in. If I wanna have gang wars in la then do so with gangsters. If I want to turn a dying universe into a spaceship using the four infinite elements of the earth just 2 I like.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The freedom from interference with our minds by Authoritarian elements intent on directing our thoughts & interests for their own purposes (unbeknownst to us).

Recognize that news and events are riddled with propaganda, advertising, subliminal messaging, targeted information - all designed to condition your mind to accept the information as "fact". Repeat something enough it becomes "fact".

I'm lousy at lyrics but I seem to remember something about "Free Your Mind and the rest will follow". That's the one liberty I'd REALLY like to see preserved: Having a Mind free of intentional noise and interference from outside sources.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Everyone is free to do as they want in reality. The principals and morality of what the majority believe in is what allows and restricts your freedoms in society. There needs to be a balance in compromise on all sides for things to work in society. The more people, the harder it is. Conflicts are usually the result of not getting the freedom or result that is desired.

I believe your question comes down to this. The rules of the game can sometimes benefit you one day and the next day be your downfall. If an ideology is not benefiting a large group of people you will see it adapt to better suit the majority who oppose it. This may result in a coup in government, a new party elected or religion changing its interpretation.

Freedom is a juggling act between multiple perspectives living together. Some require more safety while others less. All you can do is fight for your brand of freedom with like minded individuals. Hopefully common sense prevails.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
The freedom from interference with our minds by Authoritarian elements intent on directing our thoughts & interests for their own purposes (unbeknownst to us).

Recognize that news and events are riddled with propaganda, advertising, subliminal messaging, targeted information - all designed to condition your mind to accept the information as "fact". Repeat something enough it becomes "fact".

I'm lousy at lyrics but I seem to remember something about "Free Your Mind and the rest will follow". That's the one liberty I'd REALLY like to see preserved: Having a Mind free of intentional noise and interference from outside sources.

ganjoa
if earth is the common plane and everyone is grounded then able to free their mind create their own universe around them and we could speak face to face while at the same time be in another part of the galaxy in another time altogether.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: RayTheWizardLiotta

We can't keep doing that forever. The resolution for that scenario is "we're doing it for the kids and what the f*ck are you gonna do about it"

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: RayTheWizardLiotta

We can't keep doing that forever. The resolution for that scenario is "we're doing it for the kids and what the f*ck are you gonna do about it"

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa

ganjoa

Here are some lyrics from Bob Marley:

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfill the book.

And the video:

www.youtube.com...

namaste

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

I agree, rather than having a President over the executive branch, it should be an Executive Panel who have to vote in order to pass or veto a Bill. That way, even if we have a two party system, they will each have representatives in all branches of the checks and balances.

new topics

top topics

join