It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. " Ministry of Truth " Estabished Dec. 23 2016 or NDAA for Fiscal Year 2017 ( S.2943 )

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well, once again while everybody sleeps another major law prohibiting freedom of speech and freedom of the press is enacted.

I just can not believe this is happening and further more, there 's not even a single comment here at ATS about it.

www.zerohedge.com...

Buck
edit on 24-12-2016 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

" As with any legislation attempting to dodge the public spotlight the Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act of 2016 marks a further curtailment of press freedom and another avenue to stultify avenues of accurate information. Introduced by Congressmen Adam Kinzinger and Ted Lieu, H.R. 5181 seeks a “whole-government approach without the bureaucratic restrictions” to counter “foreign disinformation and manipulation,” which they believe threaten the world’s “security and stability.” "

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

This is the legacy the Obama administration plans to leave behind? It's shameful. Trump's gonna shred this bill.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

...includes authorities to facilitate ongoing operations around the globe. It continues many critical authorizations necessary to ensure that we are able to sustain our momentum in countering the threat posed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and to reassure our European allies, as well as many new authorizations that, among other things, provide the Departments of Defense...

Blah, blah, more guns and bombs to conquer, I mean defend the planet...

Can't blame Obama for that season greeting card card to the world. He may have signed it but its the fault of every politician, factory, bank and tax payer...

Merry Christmas warmongers.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
Well, once again while everybody sleeps another major law prohibiting freedom of speech and freedom of the press is enacted.

I just can not believe this is happening and further more, there 's not even a single comment here at ATS about it.

www.zerohedge.com...

Buck

Could you please flesh this OP out a bit more! Maybe a quote or two and the actual gist of this legislation? I'm on a limited bandwidth and really don't want to start chasing links around especially after IIB's excellent post earlier that is going to have me eating up my data as it is.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71

And then there's this ATS thread.... Countering Disinformation and Propaganda Act H.R. 5181

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
These bills or now laws, will work together.
Its what's buried deep in the wording that has the " gotchas ".

Also, the GOP backed much of this and don't expect DJT to repeal it, it will take more than a act of congress to do so.
The people who wrote theses laws were no fools, it will take heaven and earth to just nullify small parts of it.

Buck

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Geki09

This is the legacy the Obama administration plans to leave behind? It's shameful. Trump's gonna shred this bill.

I have a feeling Trump will feel it is too weak..but you can keep dreaming.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

H.R.5181 - Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act of 2016
Sponsor:
Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16] (Introduced 05/10/2016)

Committees:
House - Foreign Affairs

Latest Action:
05/10/2016 Referred to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

www.congress.gov...

Is this in error? Has it passed or still sitting in House Committee on Foreign Affairs?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Luckily reality isn't predicated on your feelings.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
Is this in error? Has it passed or still sitting in House Committee on Foreign Affairs?

Senate had a companion bill. That's what was amended into the NDAA. Using same link, after page load move right on the horizontal menu and see Related Bills tab.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

Thank you. I've been looking at some of what this is about.

executive order 13721, signed by President Obama on March 14, 2016 established the the Global Engagement Center. The FY 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) funds it. It's basically a counter propaganda effort of U.S. State Department. Counter, means propaganda to argue against other propaganda.

Money and support for NGOs, and private groups to produce a news product for out of U.S. dissemination.

Goals of the Global Engagement Center

The Center’s overarching goal is to expose ISIL’s true nature—and that of other violent extremist organizations—thereby diminishing their influence and decreasing these organizations’ allure in the eyes of potential recruits and sympathizers.

Additionally, the Center strives to:
• Enhance the capacities and empower third party, positive messengers, whether they are governments, NGOs or other entities.
• Develop a global network of credible voices who can effectively counter violent extremist messages.
• Use cutting edge technology and data analytics systems to better understand ISIL’s recruitment successes online and seek to address those causes with potential recruits to prevent radicalization.
• Leverage the entirety of the U.S. government to confront ISIL and other extremists in the information space and bring coordination and synchronization to those efforts.
www.state.gov...

It would be comparable to Cold War efforts such as America Free Europe. Now the enemy is Isis, Isil, Russian and other propaganda.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: EightAhoy

It would be comparable to Cold War efforts such as America Free Europe. Now the enemy is Isis, Isil, Russian and other propaganda.

Right. It was sussed out during the prior ATS discussion thread started by same OP on same topic, a link for which is above under my first post.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hi. Season's greetings all.

From OP

Introduced by Congressmen Adam Kinzinger and Ted Lieu, H.R. 5181 seeks a “whole-government approach without the bureaucratic restrictions

I guess that's a fancy way of saying wiping ass with constitution? Dollars cause fissures nowadays?

edit on (12/24/1616 by loveguy because: didn't want to address OP with mean query-meant for else's

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
From what I am seeing, it appears the new laws legitimize what's already being perpetrated upon the American public.

The government-wide aspect is already being performed by clandestine services. The government certainly allows its' own spy agencies into internal government databases already. Data spooks have no problem with domestic surveillance of your google searches, facebook, twitter, etc. - Now they "legitimately" have the means to ask why you have no bank, collect disability and snow ski, take psych meds and buy guns, don't love & obey Big Brother...

It's deplorable, the limits to which our freedoms have become commodities to be bartered or stolen to extinguish today's latest "fire" as determined by the propagandists.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

"Merry Christmas you dirty peasants!"

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

But Trump likes the Russians, no? Why would he block information from that hemisphere, based on all the ranting?

Is it just me, or is this a new age of Mccarthyism?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Geki09

I really, really hope you're right. Otherwise we might as well get used to our telescreens and Soma. Brave New 1984

War is Peace ~ Freedom is Slavery ~ Ignorance is Strength

Who are we at war with this week, Eastasia or Eurasia?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Kukri, here Ya go. The headline from ZeroHedge.Com,

"Obama Quietly Signs The "Countering Disinformation And Propaganda Act" Into Law"

"Late on Friday, with the US population embracing the upcoming holidays and oblivious of most news emerging from the administration, Obama quietly signed into law the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) which authorizes $611 billion for the military in 2017.

In a statement, Obama said that:

"Today, I have signed into law S. 2943, the “National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017.” This Act authorizes fiscal year 2017 appropriations principally for the Department of Defense and for Department of Energy national security programs, provides vital benefits for military personnel and their families, and includes authorities to facilitate ongoing operations around the globe. It continues many critical authorizations necessary to ensure that we are able to sustain our momentum in countering the threat posed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and to reassure our European allies, as well as many new authorizations that, among other things, provide the Departments of Defense and Energy more flexibility in countering cyber-attacks and our adversaries’ use of unmanned aerial vehicles."

More at the end;

"And so, with the likes of WaPo having already primed the general public to equate "Russian Propaganda" with "fake news" (despite admitting after the fact their own report was essentially "fake"), while the US media has indoctrinated the public to assume that any information which is not in compliance with the official government narrative, or dares to criticize the establishment, is also "fake news" and thus falls under the "Russian propaganda" umbrella, the scene is now set for the US government to legally crack down on every media outlet that the government deems to be "foreign propaganda."

Just like that, the US Ministry of Truth is officially born."

Hope that helps You a little anyway. Happy Holidays! Syx

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
We have extremely urgent breaking news pending review and approval.

Stay tuned!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is the bill.

NDAA 2017

top topics

<<   2 >>

join