It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Finalizes Social Security Gun Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The Obama Administration has evidently finalized its milestone goal to limit guns to Social Security recipients.

The whole thing is based on whether or not a person needs assistance with handling their finances, which leads into a possible mental incapacity situation !!

They started this agenda last year sometime, and now it is apparently a "final rule".

Imagine the bureaucratic mess this will require !!

Obama Administration Finalizes Social Security Gun Ban

On Monday the Obama administration finalized a Social Security gun ban that could prevent “tens of thousands” of law-abiding elderly citizens from purchasing guns for self-defense. .................

Despite public outcry, the rules have now been finalized. The NRA-ILA reports:

Barack Obama’s Social Security Administration (SSA) issued the final version of a rule that will doom tens of thousands of law-abiding (and vulnerable) disability insurance and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients to a loss of Second Amendment rights under the guise of re-characterizing them as “mental defectives.” The SSA, for the first time in its history, will be coopted into the federal government’s gun control apparatus, effectively requiring Social Security applicants to weigh their need for benefits against their fundamental rights when applying for assistance based on mental health problems.

ETA: two links to gov agencies.....

SSA

Federal Register

edit on Dec-24-2016 by xuenchen because: classifiedatthetime

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What do politicians have to worry about? They send out the police to enforce their unconstitutional laws.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
How much damage can he still do in a few short weeks?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

This looks and feels like FAKE NEWS to me.
Please post some sources.
I would like to follow this in the real world.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Is this fake news?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I haven't heard of many senior citizens going out and shooting up schools or going to malls and killing people. None seem to have gone shoot their fellow workers, they aren't working anymore so have no fellow workers.

I'm guessing that this is discrimination against older citizens. Just because you have your kids taking care of your money doesn't mean you need your guns taken away. Maybe lawyers are afraid the Seniors will find out they have been embezzling their funds and the seniors might come after them and shoot them. Obama is a lawyer, he may be looking out for his own. Seniors have more chance of getting ripped off by financial managers than anything, especially in Florida.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustTheFacts

First, you will have to define what is considered "real news" to you!

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

In general it's the older folk who believe strongly in the Constitution, thus Obama's and his administrations attack against those such as the elderly and those in the military such as veterans. Remember when Homeland Security deemed veterans a threat?

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

2 links that mention the issue.... government links

SSA

Federal Register

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
For the lazy people who can't click their mouse a few times...

Include information from the Social Security Administration in the background check system about beneficiaries who are prohibited from possessing a firearm. Current law prohibits individuals from buying a gun if, because of a mental health issue, they are either a danger to themselves or others or are unable to manage their own affairs. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS. The reporting that SSA, in consultation with the Department of Justice, is expected to require will cover appropriate records of the approximately 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue, receive disability benefits, and are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental impairment, or who have been found by a state or federal court to be legally incompetent. The rulemaking will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I am a senior citizen,I will be 62 next month.I have a military disabled son
and believe in the Constitution.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Let's start with the sources !
Confirm they are credible - such as House or Senate Bill #'s that can be tracked.
Backers of the proposal, etc.
Sources, sources, sources - not just some guy making a non-sources post on ATS.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Let's start with the sources !
Confirm they are credible - such as House or Senate Bill #'s that can be tracked.
Backers of the proposal, etc.
Sources, sources, sources - not just some guy making a non-sources post on ATS.

SSA

Federal Register

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
With any luck President Trump will do away with this garbage law as well as his other unlawful decrees.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
it's just part of the preparation for the trump administration's plan to screw up their social security. I mean, you don't want these old people to have guns when you start cutting the social security benefits that they've been paying into all their lives, do you??

or maybe the idea of having a bunch of elderly who have all been smoking most of their lives going through withdrawal symptons because the idiotic gov't decided to ban smoking in the subsidized housing being armed is just too scary for them....
which by the way, I would like to remind all... the justification many gave on ats for that one was that if they needed subsidized housing, then they are wasting taxpayer money on cigs..
well if the need not only that help from taxpayers, along with assistance running their daily behavior because of mental illness...
they probably shouldn't be wasting money on guns..

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'm going to run right over to the PD and surrender my arsenal.

N O T !

Just more proof of what a major-league a**hole that pussy is.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Im a gun toting granny, but I do know some social security people who have to have help with their finances because they really arent capable of taking care of it themselves. They are not elderly, but they are dumb as a rock and semi retarded. Believe me they dont need guns. Im not for more regulations. But these people dont have common sense.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Unless my reading of the actual information and not the opinion piece is totally wrong, unless you're receiving SS benefits because of a mental deficiency, you can still get a gun.

It's not, as the OP implies today and implied before, as simple as "if you get a SS check you can't get a gun." Being adjudicated as mentally deficient is already a prohibiting instance for purchasing a firearm.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

most excellent - thanks - have some reading to do.

And to eisegesis - snarky comment there - when someone makes an OP - this info should be posted and not start the readers on a freaking hunt for the sources.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Come to think of it, when was the last time an elderly person went on a shooting spree?

Obama is a Class "A" jerkoff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join