It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Christmas Carol - Rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
As a younger child in the 1960's there were a number of things which were synonymous with Christmas. It was as if they were prerequisites to the holiday itself.

First, shortly after Thanksgiving, Dad and I would embark upon the time honored tradition of getting out the Christmas decorations. The most memorable element of this was the readying of the Christmas lights. It was a tedious affair to be sure. The strings of lights would be unboxed (not the cheap plastic ones like today, but the ones with glass bulbs). We'd check them to see what lights needed to be replaced, which as I recall was quite the frustrating chore (all the more entertaining with all of the colorful language). After the lights were strung our attention turned on getting a tree. I always loved the smell of the fresh cut pine while hunting for the perfect tree. The tree would sit, undecorated, in the house for a week or so, after which some minor decorations would be placed.

Then, about a week or so before Christmas my Grandmothers would show up (my Grandfathers had passed, one before I was born and one shortly after). Then the preparations for Christmas would begin in earnest, at least from Mom's perspective (as if they hadn't already from my and Dad's perspective, what with the whole Christmas lights and tree thing).

On the day before Christmas Eve the baking would begin. Each grandma had their specialty. Grandma Bea (the Angel) would make pumpkin pie, and the Grinch (Grandma on Dad's side) would make "Monkey Meat Pie" (mince meat). I called it that because I honestly believed it had actual monkey meat in it. I believed this because it was what Grandma Grinch had told me when I was younger, as she trundled off...cackling.

Oh sure, there was the whole stumbling around the neighborhood singing Christmas carols and what not. I couldn't sing for crap, so I never really cared to learn the words really. I'd just sing random stuff, off-key, when I didn't know the words. No one seemed to care much, they were probably all half in-the-bag anyway.

But enough about all of this! By the time Christmas Eve rolled around there was one thing we always did...always...without fail (well, aside from the church thing). Every Christmas Eve there were several programs on TV that were "required viewing". Of course there was the epic tale of Dr. Seuss' The Grinch, and then A Charlie Brown Christmas. (Frosty the Snowman with Burle Ives was optional). Those shows were mostly for the kids. But there was one program which was not optional under any circumstances...Charles Dickens', A Christmas Carol. And (if you've read this far without falling asleep, or smashing your monitor), this is what this post rant is about...A Christmas Carol.

Now, the 1843 Charles Dickens tale, A Christmas Carol, has been made into countless movies and Broadway productions over the decades starting with Thomas Edison's silent film version from 1908. However, one version stands out above all others. And it was this version which always ran, without fail, on Christmas Eve. The version I refer to is the 1938 adaptation by Hugo Butler, and starring Reginald Owen as Ebenezer Scrooge.

For those whom have never seen it, the 1938 version is by far the quintessential version of A Christmas Carol. As a kid, I can remember it as almost more scary than fun. When the ghost of Jacob Marley showed up, we might as well have been watching Frankenstein or Dracula (in black & white of course). It made you sad, and then mad, and then reflective on your own life (as the original Dickens tale intended). No other version before or since, at least on film anyway, captured it quite the same way the 1938 version did.

In my research of A Christmas Carol I have found (33) different adaptations in English in existence (I'm sure there are more). I have seen them all (yep, every one). And, as I have stated, no version did it better than the 1938 version. And it was this version which was 'required viewing' in my house as a kid. In fact, it was required viewing in the home of every kid I knew...and every-one I knew.

After I left home, as most kids did back then at some point (unlike today), to venture out on my own life, many years had passed since I watched what I term "the original" A Christmas Carol. About five or six years ago on Christmas Eve I decided to see if it was on. Well, it wasn't. Since then I've searched high and low (across all 800 channels of nothing on) to no avail. It is as if it has been erased from history. Why? Was there something politically incorrect about it?

You can find all manner of hokey links on U-toob which want you to download some virus to get it, but you can't find the actual movie. It's not on TV, and it's almost "obvious" or "intentional" that it's not on TV. Again, WHY?

A person can find oodles of the 1935 version which is NOT the same, and lord knows you can find about 100,000 of 1984 version with George C. Scott, but you won't find the "original"

Perhaps it truly IS a "conspiracy"...a Christmas Conspiracy. Imagine that!

Now normally, I would post a link, but I'm not going to post something requiring some hokey (and suspicious) download and/or subscription. I refuse to do that. I've only been able to find one single source to the original (and it's a crummy one, but at least you can see the movie).

So, without further adieu...the "original" 1938 version...

ETA...after numerous attempts to embed the video, it's not working properly for some reason. Another freaking conspiracy with this dang movie! Soooo....I will just have to post the link...

1938 Version

Hope you enjoyed my "rant"

Oh, BTW...just try to find the "original"...I DOUBLE DAWG DARE YA!!! (of A Christmas Story vintage...for you young'ns)

edit on 12/24/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
To each their own, but I vastly prefer the lighthearted smile-inducing silliness of A Christmas Story over the dullness that A Christmas Carol is. My sister-in-law is the opposite, Alastair Sim's version all the way, and the Grinch. It's not Christmas for her without The Grinch Who Stole Christmas & A Christmas Carol.

If they ever remake A Christmas Story, I'll be disgusted with the honchos behind it. A truly good classic story doesn't leave a need for umpteen remakes
edit on 12/24/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

If they ever remake A Christmas Story, I'll be disgusted with the honchos behind it.

They already HAVE!! I saw it the other night (and was in disbelief myself). It's a country western version.

But I digress.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Remake, as in reboot, not someone borrowing the idea & making a bad redress flick. The only thing I'm aware of that has any direct relation to the original film as a legitimate sequel or film in the franchise is ACS 2, which isn't even recognized as a sequel by fans. I read about the plot, and it just didn't resonate, so I've never seen it myself. I'll take everyone's word for it that it was awful.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well, in any case, A Christmas Story came much, MUCH, later (1983).

Heck, I was long gone in college then.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Awesome!! I remember that version although I never gave much thought to the differences. Thank you for the post.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If you've got a DVD player, you can buy the DVD on Amazon. Looks like it's 5 bucks, 9 bucks for the blue-ray version.

Probably much better quality than the youtube version.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Here ya go.

www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_74_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000B5XOZ2&pd_rd_r=YDXYV42PE061TWSGE5KG&pd_r d_w=fMFaw&pd_rd_wg=E7Kti&psc=1&refRID=YDXYV42PE061TWSGE5KG
edit on 24-12-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I found it on Amazon in about 30 seconds for 5 bucks. Tell someone that's all you want for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
But..but...but...I don't wanna "buy" it!!

I wanna' know why it's not on TV!

Could it be....(echo chamber)...THE MANDELA EFFECT-T-T-T???? (in Church Lady parlance).

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I much prefer the 1951 version. Alistair Sim nears perfection as Ebeneezer Scrooge.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

"Monkey Meat Pie"
LOL...to be avoided at all costs. I didn't even like looking at it.

Don't care for the mince meat pie but I love your slices of life, takes me back.

I know the version of the "Christmas Carol" you prefer and I agree it's by far the best and most authentic for me.

As a child though Shirley Temple movies were always my favorites. At Christmas "Heidi" was a must see but the one that really got me was "The Little Princess."

It was a riches to rags Cinderella story that still tugs at my heart. My dad was/is a military man, when she searched the hospital wards full of wounded soldiers hoping to find her dad, it tore me up. I always was a daddy's girl. Cesar Romero as the kind neighbor who surprised her with gifts of food/blankets and the scene at the end when she salutes the Queen of England makes me cry every damn time. Reminiscent of the stories I heard about British war orphans.

I just found it on youtube, now I'm crying and getting the keyboard all soggy. Even though I no longer celebrate, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I watched the episode with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge and I loved it.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
After all...it IS Christmas Eve and all!!

Where is it???

new topics

top topics

join