It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flags

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   
What is it you see when someone has a Confederate Flag? Is it a symbol of modern racism?.... or is it a rebel flag?
Do you really believe that people who are waving this flag are wishing for "The Good Old Days"? That they for some reason hate everyone who isn't white?
Or it is a symbol of rebellion, not slavery. Of resistance to the government, not against citizens. The only people this flag should be a reminder to is the people in Washington. It reminds Washington that citizens will rebel when they feel pushed to do so. Why do you think those in power have worked so hard to convince us it symbolizes racism....when it is called The Rebel Flag and have done everything they can to make it go away?
If your a rebel, you fly the flag..... if your a racist, you wear a sheet..... see the difference?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
In the eyes of a corrupt establishment the symbol is just one of many that represents freedom form thinking and acting as an easy to supress, goody two shoes, liberal maniac. That sort of freedom is absolutely terrifying to any official desperate to protect an establishment approved, make work, sinecure. Such symbols are to be demonised and millions of brain dead liberals are all to ready and happy to do the necessary leg work required.
edit on 24-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
"People in power" didn't define this symbol. A child literally could put it together.

Slaves are Racism, The South fought against slavery abolisment, that is the flag they represented to "Rebel" against the North.

You might find it a symbol of "National Pride", guess what the Nazi's felt similar about the swastika.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I see a piece of our history that should never be forgotten...

I see hundreds of thousands of men and women that fought for something they believed in... that had nothing to do with slavery... they fought to defend their homes. (at its peak the South had 500k men and women fighting for them, most could barely afford food and clothes, so zero chance at affording a slave)

Once you remove the top couple percent of the population, people should ask themselves why did those folks fight... do the research and you will find the truth.

Politician views, have rarely been a deciding reason for any fighting man to go to war for their country.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I see a piece of our history that should never be forgotten...

I see hundreds of thousands of men and women that fought for something they believed in... that had nothing to do with slavery... they fought to defend their homes. (at its peak the South had 500k men and women fighting for them, most could barely afford food and clothes, so zero chance at affording a slave)

Once you remove the top couple percent of the population, people should ask themselves why did those folks fight... do the research and you will find the truth.

Politician views, have rarely been a deciding reason for any fighting man to go to war for their country.

How about your spare the sensationalism and explain yourself why they didn't fight.

So owning a slave is what is required to be a racist? No wonder white people have so easily denied racism for the last 50 years.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I think the op is attempting to make the point that this particular flag may not have actually had its meaning defined by the establishment, but its meaning along with that of many other symbols and ideas, has been adopted and usurped to serve the aim of the states extreme liberal agenda.
a reply to: imjack

edit on 24-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I think the op is attempting to make the point that this particular may not have actually had its meaning defined by the establishment, but its meaning along with that of many other symbols and ideas, has been adopted and usurped to serve the aim of the states extreme liberal agenda.

Claiming that crap ideology has been usurped is no less deflection than its original purpose.

If people want to have bad opinions, I can't stop them.

As of the early 21st century, the "rebel flag" has become a highly divisive symbol in the United States.[43] In a national survey in 2015 across all races, 57% of Americans had the opinion that the second Confederate Navy Jack represented Southern pride rather than racism. A similar poll in 2000 had a nearly identical result of 59%. In the 2015 poll, 72% of African-Americans and 25% of whites nationwide saw the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism, while in the South, 75% of African-Americans said the flag was a symbol of racism; whites in the South were divided in their views along educational lines, with only 18% of those without a college degree and 41% of those with a college degree viewing it as a racist symbol. Whites with a college degree were less likely to view the flag as a symbol of Southern pride than those without one.

Considering massive partisanship, and educational ties, it's plain as day this symbol is defended, not represented authentically. Claims it's ideology is under attack is moronic, it's creditibilty ended with killing slaves and demanding they remain legal.
edit on 24-12-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
i have no idea why someone decided, and will never think of, the rebel flag as racist

sorry, just another "fake news" meme i'm not buying into

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: alsee
i have no idea why someone decided, and will never think of, the rebel flag as racist

sorry, just another "fake news" meme i'm not buying into

Everyone knows it's racist, only idiots with biased opinions think it's not racist, the Left has NEVER gone around bitching about this flag like the Right does demanding that it's not insensitive to be proud of a people that fought for racism.

I love you consider this fake news, because I'm tired of hearing about it, and the Right is the one that wants to make it an issue.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

The Dukes of Hazard comes to mind

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Hijack

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I think the op is attempting to make the point that this particular may not have actually had its meaning defined by the establishment, but its meaning along with that of many other symbols and ideas, has been adopted and usurped to serve the aim of the states extreme liberal agenda.

Claiming that crap ideology has been usurped is no less deflection than its original purpose.

If people want to have bad opinions, I can't stop them.

As of the early 21st century, the "rebel flag" has become a highly divisive symbol in the United States.[43] In a national survey in 2015 across all races, 57% of Americans had the opinion that the second Confederate Navy Jack represented Southern pride rather than racism. A similar poll in 2000 had a nearly identical result of 59%. In the 2015 poll, 72% of African-Americans and 25% of whites nationwide saw the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism, while in the South, 75% of African-Americans said the flag was a symbol of racism; whites in the South were divided in their views along educational lines, with only 18% of those without a college degree and 41% of those with a college degree viewing it as a racist symbol. Whites with a college degree were less likely to view the flag as a symbol of Southern pride than those without one.

Considering massive partisanship, and educational ties, it's plain as day this symbol is defended, not represented authentically. Claims it's ideology is under attack is moronic, it's creditibilty ended with killing slaves and demanding they remain legal.

Forgive me, I have read your reply and the other information you have posted and your point seems a little clouded to me. Would you mind distilling the meaning down a bit.
Respectful thanks in advance.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

The meaning is not a direct association. I already mentioned this with Nazi's symbols that are original attributes to good will, and luck and now mean killing Jews and White Surpemacy.

The Confederate Flag potentially DID have other meanings, but you're a redneck conservative shill if you claim the Confederate flag doesn't have explicitly ideas of White Supremacy and killing Black people now, just like the Nazis.

If you want to say it has other meanings that's great! Shouldn't have been pro-slavery though, good luck ever being remember for anything other than that.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN

Hijack

Hi

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN

Hijack

Hi

Sorry, I've always wanted to say that.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

a reply to: CulturalResilience

The meaning is not a direct association. I already mentioned this with Nazi's symbols that are original attributes to good will, and luck and now mean killing Jews and White Surpemacy.

The Confederate Flag potentially DID have other meanings, but you're a redneck conservative shill if you claim the Confederate flag doesn't have explicitly ideas of White Supremacy and killing Black people now, just like the Nazis.

If you want to say it has other meanings that's great! Shouldn't have been pro-slavery though, good luck ever being remember for anything other than that.

Thank you, I see, point taken.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

If you can tone down the hyperbole a bit and explain your reply I will be happy to clarify, because neither sentence makes any sense to me.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You basically said people aren't racist if they didn't own a slave. Not true to many degrees.

You want people to "research" this bad opinion rather than explaining it yourself.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Just a little bit of a history lesson here for those that insist that certain symbols must always mean only one thing:

Official US flags when slavery was legal, practiced and certainly people were racist:

I guess no one should ever display these flags, because they obviously were symbols where slavery was an accepted practice, if racist people!

Here is the actual flag of the Confederacy:

Strangely enough you'd all be surprised at how many people don't even blink an eye at that one. Many don't even know what it is.

Here is the BATTLE flag that so many scream and yell about:

Here we go, the US flag after the war.......while Jim Crow laws were fully in affect, and even upheld by SCOTUS:

Guess we should be upset over that one too, right?

Last is today's flag:

Lots of people reserve the right to jump up and down on this one and burn it, all in the name of "free speech"......but if you display the confederate battle flag, ZOMG! You must be a horrible racist person!

smh

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
As someone who actually lives in the Deep South, in the actual cradle of the Confederacy, I've never personally seen the Battle Flag solely as a symbol of racism. I don't own one in any form, and have no interest in owning one.

Sure, most of the people around here who fly it are racist white trash, but not all. Believe it or not, once you get out of the cities, it's not uncommon to see black men and women flying it outside their house, wearing it on a shirt, or with a decal on their vehicle.

To some it does genuinely symbolize Southern Heritage, with no racism even considered, and some use it to communicate their personal racism. Without either telepathy or an overt act, there's no way to know for sure.

To forget the history which that flag symbolizes would be tragic, since that's something nobody would ever want to repeat.

One wonders if people would stop getting offended by it whether or not the racists would continue to use it as a symbol of hate...

TL;DR - Having a Confederate Battle Flag doesn't make you a racist, but racist scumbags use the CBF as a symbol of hatred.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join