It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is modern Christmas from an old psychedelic Mushroom tradition? This is pretty convincing!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
We've all read/seen the posts, articles, and videos pointing out the parallels and similarities between modern holiday celebrations and ancient religious rites and traditions. Earlier today a buddy sent me a link to this video, and without putting too fine a point on it, it is really something! I have no doubt this has been shared/posted on ATS before, but I thought given the season, I'd post it once again in the interest of sharing my amusement. What are your thoughts friends?

I wish you all Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and a peaceful and joyous time of year.

edit on 12232016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
"Magic Mushroom" ?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Amanita muscaria isn't a psychedelic. It's an intoxicant. So it's not quite 'magical'.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It's a bit silly
These old mushroom eaters, pine tree pagans existed for probably a millennia prior to Christianity and Christs birth
The paganism was adopted into Christianity by the Catholic Church

It's nothing new and nothing that was ever hidden

Pagans are allowed to celebrate their beliefs and I hope they don't mind us Christians celebrating with them
Reindeer, Santa, December 25, all irrelevant to christianity

Nothing new

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
It's a bit silly
These old mushroom eaters, pine tree pagans existed for probably a millennia prior to Christianity and Christs birth
The paganism was adopted into Christianity by the Catholic Church

It's nothing new and nothing that was ever hidden

Pagans are allowed to celebrate their beliefs and I hope they don't mind us Christians celebrating with them
Reindeer, Santa, December 25, all irrelevant to christianity

Nothing new

About as irrelevant to Christ's birth, as the Easter (Ishtar, Eostre) bunny is to Christ's death.

edit on 23-12-2016 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Amanita muscaria isn't a psychedelic. It's an intoxicant. So it's not quite 'magical'.

Indeed.

I believe most people associate the psychedelic mushroom experience with the Psilocybin family.

Amanita muscaria is said to overwhelming and no fun at all.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

You reminded me of John Allegro's theory

www.samwoolfe.com...

The Psychedelic Origin of Christianity The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross (1970) is a book by the British archaeologist John Marco Allegro. His early career focused on studying the earliest manuscripts of the Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls. With this book, however, many say that it ruined his career, although others say it gave him the fame that he deserved.

The basic idea behind the book is that primitive religions were based on fertility rites (rituals that recreate the reproductive processes of nature either symbolically or through sex). Allegro believed that fertility cults like this used the hallucinogenic mushroom, Amanita muscaria (red mushroom with white spots). He also said that these mushrooms are at the root of many religions, including early Christianity. Christianity was essentially the product of a sex-and-mushroom cult, and the mushroom was seen as the gateway to understanding God.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So it's not quite 'magical'.

Bliss is transcending ignorance....

en.wikipedia.org...

Although classified as poisonous, reports of human deaths resulting from its ingestion are extremely rare. After parboiling—which weakens its toxicity and breaks down the mushroom's psychoactive substances—it is eaten in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. Amanita muscaria is noted for its hallucinogenic properties, with its main psychoactive constituent being the compound muscimol. The mushroom was used as an intoxicant and entheogen by the peoples of Siberia, and has a religious significance in these cultures.

top topics

join