It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Talks Slavery-reparations and for black lives and justice must continue -Interview-

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
That's ONE sombitch who REALLY needs to start running....after Israel his life isn't worth SPIT skin or not.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyScale

There are companies that are still around that directly profited from someones Great grand dad, and there are ledgers that have the proof.

I can't say what is correct in this situation.

There are statutes of limitations to crimes. But the companies were with in the law of the day. This is a mess.

15 Major Corporations You Never Knew Profited from Slavery
atlantablackstar.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

There are companies that are still around that directly profited from someones Great grand dad, and there are ledgers that have the proof.

I can't say what is correct in this situation.

There are statutes of limitations to crimes. But the companies were with in the law of the day. This is a mess.

15 Major Corporations You Never Knew Profited from Slavery
atlantablackstar.com...

All I know is I work and think hard for a living and I'm not taking money from some bleeding heart liberal type because they think I need it for some slight that didn't happen in my life so they can feel better about themselves.

Personal accountability. I'll make my own money, thanks.

But of course, that's just my viewpoint. Bring a truckload of money and drop it off at the nearest reservation and you'd be honored with an Indian name and a pow-wow...

And thank you for the link... I'll go through it after dinner!

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Jey I agree, his doible standards just piss me off, but i guess thats the purpose

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think Obama is trying to get them all riled up so Trump will have a nightmare with this.

My ancestors did not own slaves. In fact they worked hard for big companies for years just to survive.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

And if they do the paying...hey I can live with that

Just keep their grubby hands outa OUR pockets

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Obama is half white....do you think he may have 50% white guilt? If you are mixed race does this mean you get prorated reparations.......this would never work even if it was a serious consideration.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

It is. Very available in every community I'm aware of.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

And I can understand that view. My problem is that the ones getting the money didn't feel the slavery, but they did miss the fruit of there distant relatives labor.

Now did this lead to the gaps that Obama was talking about in the interview?

If there were reparations where is the $ oming from and how in the world do you get it to the right people?

Does it make sense to have a massive investment plan in the poor communities like Obama said to get the poor weather?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Everyone's family has a story, and is continuing to go back in time and rehashing it healthy?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Reparations? I'll be expecting a check in the mail for all my Irish ancestors had to go through. Lot's of zeros please. Wait...only Black people apply?
Huh.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Guess what, if that company has to pay anything their product price will go up. So you pay.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Everyone's family has a story, and is continuing to go back in time and rehashing it healthy?

No it isn't. There were bad people in the past, let them stay there as History and just make sure that slavery doesn't happen again. Also, changing societies in South America so that people have to work hard just to survive kind of makes them slaves to the system. They persuade everyone to go school, work, and buy stuff we do not need, they call it citizens rights. The new world sure got expensive to live in.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Every time we buy something that is made in the Mexico we contribute to the dirt poor staying dirt poor. The system is so rigged that it is very difficult to break the iron grip of the multi nationals.

There is a reason that NIke shoes are made in a dirt poor third world countries. They can't make the profits in an first world country, that the reason. Yet they sell like hit cakes. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

An over looked portion of the slavery reparation talking points is the others. But that isn't politically expedient, and that seems like a terrible disservice to the other ethnicity that suffered.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
my god.. cant wait until this guy is GONE

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Perjury

Less than a month, less than a month, less than..........

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

And I can understand that view. My problem is that the ones getting the money didn't feel the slavery, but they did miss the fruit of there distant relatives labor.

Now did this lead to the gaps that Obama was talking about in the interview?

If there were reparations where is the $ oming from and how in the world do you get it to the right people?

Does it make sense to have a massive investment plan in the poor communities like Obama said to get the poor weather?

Sorry for the thread derailment, but it's part of the problem.

Moynihan had it correct in the 60's when he pointed out that although black males were getting more jobs in the ghettos, more women were going on the welfare rosters and staying out of marriage.

Link to Moynihan's Quandary

He had tried to prove that giving people welfare did not help the nuclear family, it instead injured it. Poverty is the single leading cause of low marriage rates. A nuclear family helps the children be more adjusted and gives them a better chance at advancement themselves. So they could go on and become productive members of society with a good job, so they could marry, raise children and perpetuate that...

His detractors were the new feminist movement and liberals, to whom the nuclear family was an actual enemy. So his ideas were lambasted and called racist (sound familiar?). Welfare keeps on rolling, generation to generation.

So "helping" a disadvantaged race by giving them more of the same is... stupid. Handouts and dependency will not fix the nuclear family.

And that is why I was participating in needless thread drift... the black ghetto, by and large is no different than the indian reservation. Different backgrounds, same failed solution.

So to answer your question, I say no. Jim Crowe laws and previous slavery did not cause the current problem. Trying social engineering did.
edit on 20Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:06:54 -0600America/Chicago16rd2016-12-23T20:06:54-06:00pmFridayAmerica/Chicago by GreyScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Very useful to the thread.
Very good explanation. With job paying less and less, and cost increasing with out cost of living increases the workers of this country are getting poorer and poorer.

I can't see a way to make this all right. Is the president right? And where is the $ going to come from?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Very useful to the thread.
Very good explanation. With job paying less and less, and cost increasing with out cost of living increases the workers of this country are getting poorer and poorer.

I can't see a way to make this all right. Is the president right? And where is the $ going to come from?

There would have to be a push to make the nuclear family acceptable again, even wanted. That would take a 180 degree turn for basic liberal philosophy, a complete remake of our entertainment industry to sell the idea and for actual conservatives to come to power in the Republican party, push the progressives and evangelicals out and start winning seats.

So nope, sorry... not possible really. What WILL happen is money will be spent that we don't have, politicians will continue to line their pockets, blacks in this case get an EBT refresh every month and will be visited every 4 years with a voter registration card.

There are no easy solutions. Obama's is a typical liberal one. History tells me that won't work. Hell, common sense tells me it won't. But it sounds great to his base and you know he's planning to stay in DC and .. what was the quote.. "find and groom the next Obama and Michelle."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join