It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Talks Slavery-reparations and for black lives and justice must continue -Interview-

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
In Obama's last 4 and a half hour interview with Ta-Nehisi Coates he talks education of African Americans, reparations, and making sure there is no discrimination in institutions. I wonder if this just occurred to him, or did he try anything in the last 8 years?

Obama wants (even after 8 years) to imagine wage increases, early education for African Americans and race specific policy of making sure there is no discrimination. Obama also wants responsibility inside the "black community" would be necessary.

To summarize Obama’s lengthy response, he posits “a three-legged stool” which starts with universal list programs such as wage increases and early-childhood education for African Americans. Next would be a “somewhat race-specific” policy of “making sure that institutions are not discriminatory.” Third, the president said personal responsibility inside the black community would be necessary to rise out of poverty (not a popular idea among Black Lives Matter activists), but not without those federal programs in place first:

Obama also said the centuries of slavery, Jim crow and discrimination are the cause for gaps in the black community. The wrongs done to the black community and black families specifially, has to have aggresive investments, it is a moral obligation.

This doesn't have to be individual reparations, it can be in the form of a Marshall plan, to close those gaps. Obama also said he wanted to help every poor child in the country.

“Theoretically, you can make, obviously, a powerful argument that centuries of slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination are the primary cause for all those gaps. That those were wrongs done to the black community as a whole, and black families specifically, and that in order to close that gap, a society has a moral obligation to make a large, aggressive investment, even if it’s not in the form of individual reparations checks, but in the form of a Marshall Plan, in order to close those gaps.”

Obama framed his argument from a lawyer’s perspective but said his political perspective realizes singling out one race to receive “investments” will discriminate against Hispanics or Asians. And so, instead of calling it reparations, per se, Obama the politician repackages it as “a multiyear, multibillion-dollar investment to help every child in poverty in this country.”
planetfreewill.com...
Obama feels that having a president that opposes reperations doesn't help the cause.

“Having a black president oppose reparations does not help the cause, particularly when that black president makes the case that an important source of black disadvantage is black folk’s own behavior. But black America should have paid attention to the experience of post-colonial black Africa and the Caribbean; leaders who look like you do not necessarily act in ways that benefit you. So be it. The struggle for reparations—and for black lives and justice—must and will continue, with or without Barack Obama in the fold.”

edit on 23-12-2016 by seasonal because: spacing

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'd like to ask him where all this "concern" was for the past near decade. All I can recall are platitudes that led absolutely no where, and to nothing.

Eight bloody f'n years!!

Where's the change, Mr. President? I don't see any...as in none. A bit late in the game to be all concerned.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
He believes in this so strongly ... he did nothing about it until his farewell interview to pas the buck on.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Did I see that right, 4 and 1/2 hours?? My God, I would lose my mind listening to this guy uhhhh, ummmmm, ahhhhh, his way through that long of an interview.

That said, helping the poor is a laudable goal, and I do find his proposal of investment into communities instead of reparation check to individuals to be much better. But haven't we been doing that for years in the form of massive social programs??

As usual with him, it would sound good at first (just like Obamacare) but when the details are revealed, the little guy gets f***ed, and the rich get richer and more powerful.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Can't he just go on vacation until the 20th?

Seriously, just go.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm not even Native American but was offended on their behalf...

When I saw the word reparations, and it not even speaking of Natives...

edit on (12/23/1616 by loveguy because: grammar and punctuation

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Hasn't the black community been getting 'reparations'? Imagine all of that welfare and that kind of stuff.

The War on Poverty Has Cost $22 Trillion. Since the War on Poverty began under President Lyndon Johnson, welfare spending has exploded to sixteen times its original size. www.ncpa.org...

Chappelle's Show - Reparations:

The original sketch is much better: www.youtube.com...

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Got make sure 'his' people are still blaming whitey for everything that's wrong. Had to get that one last social wedge in there. Too bad it wasn't like the final nail. Bush was such shamed that he went awayquietly. The Liberal's still think Obama isn't scum like Bush (EXACT SAME KIND OF SCUM) so we'll probably be seeing him pop up for eternity.
edit on 23-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I wish I knew. There is still lots of tax $ to spend.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A race divider till the very end.

He is so filled with hatred and intolerance just like most liberals.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Right here's what a REAL man of The People does with his farewell address...
Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex:

Transcript: mcadams.posc.mu.edu...

edit on 23-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Just ramping up the race war as he has for 8 years! Those globalist who perceive the Constitution as an impediment to their goal of a NWO selected him over Hillary for a reason.

How easy to win a war than to pit people of a country against each other based on their skin color?

Wake the hell up people. They could care less about the color of your skin, only the agenda they are brainwashing you with so that you hate each other enough to fight the war for THEM absolutely free!

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I believe that you are correct, I think the real owners are laughing at how easy it is to get everyone worked up. They are really disappointed that there isn't more problems and Obama didn't move this thing along further.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Reparations? Did he not get his fill of goodies from all the family trips, separately, to Hawaii and beyond on taxpayer money? He spent more on vacations and trips than any other president. Not too concerned about all the parties and good times at the White House.

I'd say he's desperately trying to sway what is said about his failure presidency; he knows what it will look like in posterity; a selfish, do nothing especially for blacks. The election spoke about him-just a huge embarrassment for the US including internationally.

Four and a half hours of his dribble-no substance of accomplishments because there arn't any and being half-black isn't enough.

edit on 23-12-2016 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Did Obama really say reparations?

He's the freaking president and he's black....we're even.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

According to the story he went into great detail and in the interview. This interview was supposed to be about policy, but looks like it went into other areas.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It was to my understanding from experience that early childhood education or HeadStart program is already available for children in the US and if you are poor, no matter what race(black included), you have a better chance of getting in to the program. My kid was passed over at the time for children of other races and I was dirt poor.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

Its the folks I immediately think of, we can piss all over the native Americans. Apparently the horrors visited upon them to this day are meaningless. In light of the fact that they are still getting screwed, what about those proud people, including the Polynesians where his skinny arse was raised.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

Well it isn't a perfect system, what do you want for an average cost of over 13,000$ a year (in Michigan).

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

(we are all getting screwed)

Its the folks I immediately think of, we can piss all over the native Americans. Apparently the horrors visited upon them to this day are meaningless. In light of the fact that they are still getting screwed, what about those proud people, including the Polynesians where his skinny arse was raised.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy
I'm not even Native American but was offended on their behalf...

When I saw the word reparations, and it not even speaking of Natives...

I'm aiming higher. My Irish side of the family had slaves in it... 3 Carolina ones, to be exact. Be amazed how many people don't know there were more white slaves there than black. We were cheaper, you see... break a paddie's back and you just kick him into the river and get another.

My other side walked the Trail of Tears.

I want double!!!!

All seriousness aside, reparations are just silly. Nobody living to pay them to. Paying great-great-great-great-great-grand kids for something they didn't live through? Just... no.
edit on 18Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:38:30 -0600America/Chicago16rd2016-12-23T18:38:30-06:00pmFridayAmerica/Chicago by GreyScale because: added some greats

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join