It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second FC-31 Gyrfalcon takes flight (Chinese stealth fighter) with changes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Chinese defence websites have published footage of what is apparently the second AVIC FC-31 Gyrfalcon fighter aircraft.

Still imagery shows the aircraft taking off. One major difference is the configuration of the aircraft’s twin canted tail. Produced by Shenyang Aircraft Corporation, the FC-31 features a cropped tail, whereas the first prototype designated J-31, had a nearly triangular tails with a horizontal top.

A brief, grainy video purported to be of the flight also indicates that the engines are not smoking. The J-31 that performed during Airshow China in Zhuhai in 2014 was notable for the exhaust produced by its pair of Klimov R-93 engines. This is the same powerplant used in the single-engined Chengdu/Pakistan Aeronautical Complex JF-17, which is also notable for engine exhaust.

www.flightglobal.com...

New engines and a different tail are two obvious changes tot he FC/J-31. It had some aerodynamic issues as I recall when the first was unveiled in flight at an air show.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Not a flattering picture. Looks like it will be much more agile than the 20. More of a fighter.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Something is different.

new

old

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

As said in the OP, they went with a better vertical fin. The new fin should give it better control.
edit on 12/23/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Someone explain to me how they call that big bubble canopy and those two big round nozzles 'stealthy'?
edit on 23-12-2016 by intrptr because: change

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
A step in the right direction is non Russian engines..

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It looks like the vertical fin went from a F-22 esque one to one closer to the F-35.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
is the wing tip slightly different?

or just a different perspective.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Hard to say (for me) on that one.

Tidbit:

Shenyang is offering the FC-31 for $70 mil to customers.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Here is a mock up of the FC-31

To me it seams like they have done something to the tail where i have made marks in the image under.

It seams like the vertical fins are moved forwared, but they are not.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Reduced tail area it seems.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Janes gets more details and, yes, they state the wings are different.

www.janes.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Leading edge chines look sharper..

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The purpose of the bulged cockpit above the plane of the fuselage topside is to permit more fuel efficient supersonic super-cruise. Having a high mounted forward fuselage allows FC / J-31 to actually surf on its own sonic shockwaves and this reduces the energy required.

Just looking at it i would say it has all the agility of the F-15 Eagle but with really long range supersonic cruise.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: sy.gunson
a reply to: intrptr

The purpose of the bulged cockpit above the plane of the fuselage topside is to permit more fuel efficient supersonic super-cruise. Having a high mounted forward fuselage allows FC / J-31 to actually surf on its own sonic shockwaves and this reduces the energy required.

Just looking at it i would say it has all the agility of the F-15 Eagle but with really long range supersonic cruise.

The cockpit and engine cowlings are two of the primary sources of return energy from radar, those shapes diminish stealth. Concerning the canopy and the shape of features in the cockpit, the pilots helmet and other internal features also increase return signatures.

A hi canopy diminishes stealth, same with exposed engines.

In addition to altering the tail, stealth design must bury the engines within the wing or fuselage, or in some cases where stealth is applied to an extant aircraft, install baffles in the air intakes, so that the compressor blades are not visible to radar. A stealthy shape must be devoid of complex bumps or protrusions of any kind...

...Similarly, coating the cockpit canopy with a thin film transparent conductor (vapor-deposited gold or indium tin oxide) helps to reduce the aircraft's radar profile, because radar waves would normally enter the cockpit, reflect off objects (the inside of a cockpit has a complex shape, with a pilot helmet alone forming a sizable return)...

wiki

That fighter doesn't appear to incorporate stealthy features. Calling it stealthy though helps justify the US gynormous stealth aircraft budget to counter it.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Every time I see it I think
"Wow what a rip off ! " next time lets make our
own Radio Controlled toys instead of sending
the "harmless" specs to our adversary .

new topics

top topics

join