It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New computer problem.....is something dying - UPDATE...seems Hibernate was the issue

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I understand. If you were to put in some more ram and a ssd the computer would seem a bit faster. But you're still limited by the cpu.

However if you change your mind and want to get a new pc. Tiger has some good deals sure. Also take a look at the dell outlet. You can get a deal on a refurb 6th gen core i5 for under 500. 6th gen core i7 for under 600.

www.dell.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I saw them....but I was really hoping to get something with Win7

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Didn't bother to read if anyone else posted it but I'd add the handles and threads to task manager. Watch for memory, handle and thread leaks over time. I recall only about a year ago I witnessed a similar problem with foxit pdf where a third party out-of-the box plugin was leaking handles, and effectively leaking memory as a result. Memory leaks are easy to spot. Handles I don't have a very good threshold recommend that indicates something is definitely bogus, but threads I watch for anything in the 15k range or higher. Basically you just look at the resources at boot with normal apps you might leave open. Check them 12 or so hours hours later.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

I'm not sure what this means.
Is this something to check in Task Manager, or something to add, or???

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well, so far I have totally disabled Hibernation....and performance in the AM after the computer wakes up is better....we'll see.

I was going to expand RAM...anyway....so that will be my next move.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yep. You have to add the columns in the task manager cuz they aren't default columns. Over the course of time yout can expect memory to grow on processes while you are using the application but it should be released when you are done with the app. Same with threads and handles.

In simple terms, threads are individual processes that run within the application. You direct an application to perform an action and there could be several tasks involved that run asynchronously. A poorly coded app may open threads but not close them. This could be due to some sort of non fatal exception that doesn't crash the thread entirely but never gets to the point of completion, as one example.

In simple terms a handle is access to an object. Pretty much everything related to your computer is an object from what you call files and folders to hardware. A handle is requested say to write to a log file from a thread. The thread crashes and the handle is never closed. That is one example of a handle leak.

Watch memory, handles and threads on your processes. As previously stated, I never worry about threads till it's at least 10 to 15 thousand. Then you can expect all sorts of instability.

It might be nothing but thelse are the things I watch for when I have an inconsistent issue with system stability. I'm a a developer by trade tho, so I might have a different approach than a desktop technician.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

TigerDirect is a great site..Try this as well... another well known site for discounts and refurbs...

NewEgg.com

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t

I've been to that site once or twice, but haven't got anything from NewEgg yet.
Seems more user friendly than the "new" TigerDirect, though

I'm also somewhat of a fan of Crucial.com....although they don't have any 2GB RAM for my computer ATM

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I buy from Newegg at least once a month. Never had a problem so far. Probably every week I order something from amazon tho. Only problem I ever have there is when I'm not paying attention and expect a 2day prime delivery but the handling turnaround is not same day (some times weeks out)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Cautiously optimistic!!!!!

Since I disabled HIbernate....all seems well and Desktop Window Manager is stable....so far.
Up Time is past two days....where before it would freeze at just past one day Up Time.

Thanks to all!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join