It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dear Leader-elect's Daily Twitter Debacle Goes Nuclear

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Am I the only one that doesn't see anything wrong with Trump's tweet what-so-ever?

Why is it when the Obama Admin decides to spend 1 TRILLION dollars to modernize the nuclear triad nobody says anything. But if Trump talks about it, hes suddenly an orange idiot and people cry about it?

Trump's Nuclear Boast Is Obama's Modernization Plan

The world has not come to its senses. We can't just get rid of nukes yet. So the US needs to be sure its old nuclear triad is up to the task in the modern world, and expand the capabilities with modern technology.

So, why are you all crying?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: JohnnyElohim

They shouldn't be allies I agree but they also don't have to be enemies. The us deals with lots of countries we don't agree with ideologically. Its far better to work with other governments than have them plotting to kill you.

I agree that it's not a binary proposition and that bellicosity is general is not a good look.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: buster2010

He's like, a really smart person. He has the best words. He skips intelligence briefs because his IQ is so high.

He doesn't need intelligence, he has money.

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things. -- KJV, Ecclesiastes 10:19

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The main purpose of a nuclear arsenal is DETERRENCE. If an enemy knows you have modernized your weapons systems and they are use capable, they will be less likely to attack you than if you have a bunch of dilapidated antiquated 1960s era weapons. We may not modernize our arsenal, but our potential adversaries are doing it NOW. It makes perfect and good sense to modernize our nuclear deterrent, it will LESSEN the chance of war, not increase it.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
a reply to: Swills

Btw, scary thought here, the computers many nuclear weapons use are so old they still use 8 inch floppy disks. Yikes...

That makes them unhackable.

Not really. There were plenty of computer viruses around back in the floppy days. I remember once almost everyone at my old community college lost their term papers because there was a nasty virus in the media center computer and it infected every floppy that was used on it.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Good stuff! Anyone can be prez in this great country.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Care to actually present a video of Trump saying: "I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things."?... It's not like mainstream media sources including WaPo would write some made up false claim about Trump right "theantedilluvian"?...

If it was true that he said this it wouldn't be hard to find a youtube video of him "saying it"... Or is this another case of a made up lie?...

After all, we know that the ""Washington Post was bought by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, who paid $250 million for it"

And coincidentally we also found out that Jeff Bezos received a $600 million contract with none other than the CIA to build a “private cloud” for the CIA to use for its data needs. You have got to wonder if the Washington Post is nothing more than a CIA mouth piece by now. After all the CIA and Trump don't seem to be on such good terms...

edit on 24-12-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

And yet when current POTUS became a law unto himself and used his mighty pen and phone for whatever he wanted... this was ok by you? For the record POTUS ignored much of the advice of his real advisors and took only that which he wanted, the advice of one unelected Valerie Jarrett, co-Communist inChief.
What say you ?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: anonfamily

Obama was busy disarming our own military capability while arming ISIS rebels and such....
Trump is right to be on the side of Russia and Putin while trying to rebuild our own military. It only takes a bit of honesty and truth to see it.
The Left has nothing but hatred and infamy and the communist desire to take down the US from the inside. remember Nikita Kruschev? Or are we too young to know that?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Casual observers of the military stand off that started after World War 2 will be aware that there was an arms race and that there have been treaties between the two super powers aimed at bringing that arms race to an end and also aimed at reducing the world's stock piles of nuclear weapons.

Most of this activity took place in the context of the theory of Mutually Assured Destruction, "MAD", in which it was understood that an attack upon one of the super powers, using nuclear weapons, by the other, would bring an immediate retaliatory attack, which would result in the mutual destruction of the super powers and the rest of the world.

The arsenals of nuclear weapons became a deterrent and nothing more. They could never be used as a first strike weapon without catastrophic consequences for the initiator of the strike.

In the history of the world, one might say that the time in which this balance of power existed, could be called "the period of mutually assured destruction". It provided a window of opportunity for the leaders of the most powerful nations to investigate and devise ways of dealing with conflicting interests, that did not involve military force and most certainly not nuclear military force.

The naive among us believed that this situation of stasis, of poised balance in military matters, between the super powers, was the permanent state of affairs in the world and that sooner or later, notwithstanding all of the psychological and emotional factors involved, our leaders would eventually, reluctantly, release the death grip that they had on each other's throats, and by treaty and negotiation, rid the world, once and for all time, of the ugly menace of fatal contamination by radioactive fallout from nuclear detonations.

The greatest progress toward this goal, indicating a welcome mutuality of opinion on the subject of nuclear weapons, is the Anti Ballistic Missile treaty.

www.armscontrol.org...

Signed in 1972 by Washington and Moscow to slow the nuclear arms race, the ABM Treaty barred both superpowers from deploying national defenses against long-range ballistic missiles and from building the foundation for such a defense. The treaty was based on the premise that if either superpower constructed a strategic defense, the other would build up its offensive nuclear forces to offset the defense. The superpowers would therefore quickly be put on a path toward a never-ending offensive-defensive arms race as each tried to balance its counterpart’s action.

The treaty did, however, allow both sides to build defenses against short- and medium-range ballistic missiles.

Over time, most countries, including the United States until Bush took office, referred to the treaty as a “cornerstone of strategic stability” because it facilitated later agreements limiting and reducing U.S. and Russian deployed strategic nuclear arsenals.

The trend toward arms reduction and reduction of nuclear stock piles continued but, unseen by the many, was a back current of nuclear weapons development involving miniaturization of weapons and the utilization of depleted uranium ammunition.

Many were shocked when, in 2002, during the administration of George W. Bush, the 1972 ABM treaty was abrogated by the United States. This created the conditions under which another full fledged arms race could be started.

This was also the period in which America's current policy of militarily driven territorial expansion started, a policy that was widely seen as an attempt to encircle and intimidate Russia, as much as to secure control of the oil resources of the Middle East and Caspian Basin.

Clearly the period of Mutually Assured Destruction is in the process of being rebranded, as the period of Not Necessarily Mutually Assured Destruction.

Has there been some unpublicized technical innovation that has allowed the United States to edge brinkmanship closer to the brink of nuclear war?

Has a first strike by a super power suddenly become thinkable?

I don't know, but everyone knows that the military community is home to plenty of folks more than happy to think the unthinkable and who would greet the creation of a viable first strike strategy with celebration.

. . . and urge that it be put into action immediately.

Some people just can't deal with variety in the world, or complexity, or uncertainty. Some people can't deal with good will. Some people can't deal with the mystery and reality of life, so they specialize in death and concentrate on that.

I don't think Donald Trump is one of those people, but I do think he is a very naive fellow, about this sort of thing.

He doesn't seem to realize that a lot of loose talk by the leader of a wealthy technologically advanced country about resuming the arms race might actually lead a very well armed, but altogether less capable opponent to seize an opportunity, which might be handed to it by circumstances, to launch an old fashioned, once unthinkable, first nuclear strike, itself, on the United States, reasoning that the newly elected President of the United States has made no secret of an ultimate intention to dominate the less capable power with nuclear weapons, anyway.

President-elect Trump, in reversing field on an arms race between super powers, may have actually sealed the fate of the human race on Twitter.

Nuclear agreements and the intentions around them are matters of the greatest delicacy in relations between powers. It would be a wonderful thing if someone could communicate that to Mr. Trump.
edit on 24-12-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Care to actually present a video of Trump saying: "I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things."?...

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Perhaps Mr Trump meant that the next gen must run with a quad core processor with either ios or android so that he may have an app on his phone to control the nukes at will. The app could allow him to zoom into a map of the world and put drop pins wherever he fancied the nukes to hit. I mean how more devastating can the nukes become. He and Mr Putin could enjoy themselves playing an online simulation (with their headsets and all) through that app to blow off some steam. The red phone so outdated.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

The main purpose of a nuclear arsenal is DETERRENCE. If an enemy knows you have modernized your weapons systems and they are use capable, they will be less likely to attack you than if you have a bunch of dilapidated antiquated 1960s era weapons. We may not modernize our arsenal, but our potential adversaries are doing it NOW. It makes perfect and good sense to modernize our nuclear deterrent, it will LESSEN the chance of war, not increase it.

Actually, this is just nonsense. The suicide bomber doesn't care about "deterrence."

Any nation that produces suicide bombers WILL use their NUKES, regardless of how many NUKES you've got to act as your "DETERRENCE."

The whole idea of "DETERRENCE" assumes a premise that your enemy is like you, and thinks like you, and has the same value system like you. Because it is what you would do.

All it means is that the nations that build NUKES for deterrence, will eventually be destroyed by some other nation that builds NUKES just to have a first strike capability.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This actually brings up another worrying element in the development of relations between the two super powers, and that is the ongoing silliness of the personal dalliance between Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin.

Donald Trump's modus operandi throughout his short political career has been to be erratic and confusing. In addition, he seems to be a person who is easily confused about things of which he knows nothing. There are numerous examples, but in short form one only has to compare statements, promises and evaluations made during the campaign, with revisions to these things made after the campaign.

In international relations, particularly between nuclear armed super powers, this will not do. In that arena there is a necessity for precision and clarity, founded upon well thought out goals.

When precision becomes imprecise and clarity becomes cloudy, an international partner might, with every justification, begin to wonder just what the goals intended by the partner actually are.

Given the size of the stakes involved, the survival of the human race on this planet and the continued habitability of the planet itself, Vladimir Putin's assiduous pursuit of a personal relationship with the erratic and imprecise President-elect of the United States, makes a tremendous amount of sense.

Do the Russians believe that Mr. Trump will need to be shepherded through his four years of involvement in Russo/American relations, in order that we all make it safely to the end of a Trump administration?

It's possible.

Maybe Putin sees Trump as an opportunity for a more human and less belligerent relationship between the two nations.

Whatever the case, personal relationships between leaders, where issues are of great moment, are a double edged sword. The potential for understanding is great, but so is the potential for manipulation.

I hope that the relations between these two men will be friendly, but correct. The issues that they are dealing with are vastly bigger than both of them.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The biggest flaw of Obama was that he was captured by his advisers.

Now it seems Trump is slipping into the same swamp, letting the tail wag the dog.

Nuclear weapons never defeated terrorist insurgencies.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Having the ability to destroy life globally dozens of times over is necessary for security.

What's in your arsenal?

Ad choices, we have ads for everyone, even tweeting President-Elects.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

Actually, this is just nonsense. The suicide bomber doesn't care about "deterrence."

Any nation that produces suicide bombers WILL use their NUKES, regardless of how many NUKES you've got to act as your "DETERRENCE."

The whole idea of "DETERRENCE" assumes a premise that your enemy is like you, and thinks like you, and has the same value system like you. Because it is what you would do.

All it means is that the nations that build NUKES for deterrence, will eventually be destroyed by some other nation that builds NUKES just to have a first strike capability.

Yes, and if that nation attacks us, they will be destroyed in a retaliatory strike. So in a sense they really would be suicide bombers. And um, its NOT nonsense, its called mutually assured destruction and its kept the peace for over 60 years.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yes, and if that nation attacks us, they will be destroyed in a retaliatory strike. So in a sense they really would be suicide bombers. And um, its NOT nonsense, its called mutually assured destruction and its kept the peace for over 60 years.

I believe that's why the Western nations want to prevent some nations like Iran from obtaining nukes. For when that happens, then mutually assured destruction will be fully tested and executed.

Then all the souls will gather in the heavens, the hells, and at the gates of purgatory, all discussing how they all got there so fast.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
There's an old Disney song. Goes something like this

Let's all tweet like ze dumbsh#ts tweet,
Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet.
Let's all nuke like ze dumbsh#ts nuke,
Bomb, bomb bomb, bomb bomb.

Reading Fake News, Pakistani Minister Directs Nuclear Threat at Israel

The defense minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif, wrote a saber-rattling Twitter post directed at Israel on Friday after a false report — which the minister apparently believed — that Israel had threatened Pakistan with nuclear weapons. Both countries have nuclear arsenals.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   
After reading this I think it's fair to say that Trump is only using tweet's about nukes to control the flow of media as some of his supporters have suggested.

Trump's Nuclear Experience in 1987

The link above is a bit long and isn't entirely about nukes, so I'll highlight a few of the parts i found interesting. They suggest that he has seen nuclear proliferation as THE biggest issue for quiet some time. Some of his foreign policy advisers have also written about the urgency of taking on the nuke issue, so I can't accept it's just twitter trolling.

“The fact is, it’s already very late. It’s one of the great problems of the world. Not one of them. It is the. And yet it amuses me that when people in Washington talk about the big issues they talk about tax reform. The hours and hours and money and worse that’s spent on this ridiculous tax-reform issue. If one half of the same effort were devoted to this much more important issue, you might be able to solve it.”

it’s a deal with the Soviets. We approach them on this basis: We both recognize the nonproliferation treaty’s not working, that half a dozen countries are on the brink of getting a bomb. Which can only cause trouble for the two of us. The deterrence of mutual assured destruction that prevents the United States and the USSR from nuking each other won’t work on the level of an India-Pakistan nuclear exchange. Or a madman dictator with a briefcase-bomb team. The only answer is for the Big Two to make a deal now to step in and prevent the next generation of nations about to go nuclear from doing so. By whatever means necessary.

“Most of those [pre-nuclear] countries are in one form or another dominated by the U.S. and the Soviet Union,” Trump says. “Between those two nations you have the power to dominate any of those countries. So we should use our power of economic retaliation and they use their powers of retaliation and between the two of us we will prevent the problem from happening. It would have been better having done something five years ago,” he says. “But I believe even a country such as Pakistan would have to do something now. Five years from now they’ll laugh.”

“You think Pakistan would just fold? We wouldn’t have to offer them anything in return?”

“Maybe we should offer them something. I’m saying you start off as nicely as possible. You apply as much pressure as necessary until you achieve the goal. You start off telling them, ‘Let’s get rid of it.’ If that doesn’t work you then start cutting off aid. And more aid and then more. You do whatever is necessary so these people will have riots in the street, so they can’t get water. So they can’t get Band-Aids, so they can’t get food. Because that’s the only thing that’s going to do it—the people, the riots.”

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join