It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU's highest court delivers blow to UK snooper's charter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

General and indiscriminate retention” of emails and electronic communications by governments is illegal, the EU’s highest court has ruled, in a judgment that could trigger challenges against the UK’s new Investigatory Powers Act – the so-called snooper’s charter.

As a resident of the UK myself, I was pretty concerned when I heard of the "Snooper's Charter". It's a total invasion of privacy and for a democratic country to think of such an idea is downright disturbing. Hopefully now it's been ruled against, that's the last we'll hear of it.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Tenebris

Always was due a challenge, the first time even in UK law i'd doubt a judge would be very happy with the evidence and how it was served.

It needed to be passed by a certain date and that was the main thing....the rest shall we say is left to history.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Given Brexit, what does this actually mean?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
They just have to wait for the Brexit and then they won't be affected by those pesky EU courts.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tenebris

General and indiscriminate retention” of emails and electronic communications by governments is illegal, the EU’s highest court has ruled, in a judgment that could trigger challenges against the UK’s new Investigatory Powers Act – the so-called snooper’s charter.

As a resident of the UK myself, I was pretty concerned when I heard of the "Snooper's Charter". It's a total invasion of privacy and for a democratic country to think of such an idea is downright disturbing. Hopefully now it's been ruled against, that's the last we'll hear of it.

Simple fact is, and regardless of the EU ruling, just such a scenario is easily done, and is being done through the servers. It is the whole basis of electronic spying. Remember William Haig's crummy words, "“If you are a law-abiding citizen of this country going about your business and your personal life you have nothing to fear about the British state or the intelligence services listening to your phone calls or anything like that." also," "Indeed you’ll never be aware of all the things those agencies are doing " The last line, " to protect you and your ID" etc is just a blinder.
edit on 22-12-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
They just have to wait for the Brexit and then they won't be affected by those pesky EU courts.

Quite frankly I would prefer the EU courts to our own for pretty much obvious reasons, and even more so with this current government that is doing secret deals that their own government departments don't know about.
edit on 22-12-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Actually this is one of those moments us Brexiteers are kicking ourselves.

This Bill is heinous.

Not to mention the MPs that voted for it in Parliament put in an excemption for guess who... MPs.

We don't want to be spied on thanks and "those pesky EU courts" are on the right track with this one.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Thank god for the EU, at least somebody is trying to prevent this country being turned into a fascist police state.

This is one of the reasons why I've been so concerned at the agenda of the Brexiteers.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
a reply to: Tenebris

Always was due a challenge, the first time even in UK law i'd doubt a judge would be very happy with the evidence and how it was served.

It needed to be passed by a certain date and that was the main thing....the rest shall we say is left to history.

Legality or illegality is pretty much irrelevant...if they want to do it, and they do want to do it, they will regardless.

Judges not willing to accept such evidence? Extraordinary renditions, electronically inserting damning material on ones computers, fitting or framing another crime altogether gets the same desired outcome ultimately.

Al Capone was careful not to get caught for most of his crimes...all but tax evasion, the end result is relatively simple to achieve if you can get people on lesser charges...prison is prison whatever you've been caught for.

They'll snoop, and then fit you up for something they didn't need to snoop to get.

edit on 23 12 2016 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Quite honestly I wrote on this subject quite a long time back and it's just the same now, nothing has changed.
Leesen verry closely I vil say zis only vonce. With hands on heart the UK agencies can honestly say they have never snooped on UK citizens. The American agencies can say exactly the same, in truth they have never snooped on any US citizens.
Now, what they don't tell you is that the UK agencies snoop on US citizens and the US agencies snoop on UK citizens, then they "warn" each other about matters that concern them. Simples.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It should be known that the NSA and GCHQ have always had close connections, and I'm quite sure that the U.S. did use and may still use GCHQ to spy on people

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum
Correct, you have it in one. THAT'S why they can say that they have never snooped on their own citizens.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
EU intelligence spooks use mobile phones vibrating ringtone to produce noises at night and disturb people's sleep.

top topics

join