It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wear a Gorilla mask and hold Banana at BLM protest You get---civil rights charges

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Sorry, depends on what state. If there was an actual physical threat. Not an implied threat.

And you have to prove mental competence.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

3rd option walk away.

link   
a reply to: neutronflux

How is free speech threatened here? There are already numerous restrictions on freedom of speech. Just look at my post above for some basic examples. Or do you also have a problem with fraud, threats, and other restrictions on the freedom of speech?

It's not our fault the dumb__ from the OP didn't know the laws. Or maybe he did know he was breaking the law & did it anyway. Either way, I thought the mantra was "ignorance of the law isn't an excuse". He'll have his day in court, and assuming he doesn't accept a plea bargain or get his case thrown out, we'll see in court if what he did constitutes as a civil rights violation or not. Because that's the only opinion that really matters in this instance.

(Haha, see what I did there? Opinion? Like a judicial opinion? And a personal opinion? Hahaha
)

link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: neutronflux

originally posted by: omniEther

A noose is the same as moving you pointing finger across your neck it is a threat not to mention the harassment

Actually you are wrong. And the rape examples are wrong.

One, its has to be a credible threat in the view of the law.

Two, it has to be proven the individual would carryout out violence.

As horrible as it is, the intent to harm has to be established. Then the wishing or stating someone should die is not a threat of saying you will kill someone.

It also depends on the result being actual fear from the person offended.

Being offended is not the same as being physical threatened.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Was there a question?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Are black people gorillas? Why are they offended

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
a reply to: enlightenedservant

There is no misunderstanding. It is quite clear free speech is threatened and it is purposely picked who gets to exercise free speech to facilitate a divided country.

It was the right of the guy to put on the gorilla suit.

It was the right of the group to call him racist.

The group did not have a basis to feel threatened into self protection, or resort to violence.

I see how inciting violence charges would apply.

The civil right charges are political grandstanding and were used in hopes to further racially divide our society.

I am appalled, being part of a civil free speech society, that individuals would imply
charlie hebdo, or any similar example, got what they asked for.

Sorry. This is the real issues. And you are not going to change my mind.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Race baiting? I don't like being called all the buzzword racist things either, but it doesn't give me the right to put my hands on someone.

You have an option, you have a choice, stop acting like it is automatic.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: suvorov
Are black people gorillas? Why are they offended

And the GOP is a group conducting a war on women that want to starve the elderly and children.

Yeap, free speech pick and choose. No hypocrisy here. Move along.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: suvorov

Dressing up as a gorilla or sambo face is an insult to afro-americans

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

...Washington County General Sessions Court on Monday,
Assistant District Attorney Will Monk ... [THE IRONY)
is suggesting disorderly conduct and inciting a riot.
He made it. But you can't make this up. F&S seasonal !

As an example I suggest outfitting him with a full suit,
dousing him with the appropriate female primate phero-
mones-- and dropping him off for a whole overnighter at
the house full of the real deals.
If you feel making your point includes digging your own
hole, make sure first the authorities can't dig it bigger.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

A noose around a banana, I am offended as well. But I can't care enough to assault some one.

Again, or as Obama would say, let me be clear, I don't like being called names. But I realize that it isn't that important to me, if I get into a physical fight with someone it isn't becasue he is holding a banana. Sounds stupid when I write it.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Yup, within his right's..maybe, he said to the police he was trying to incite something ..so maybe not?..I'm perfectly ok with him getting stomped as well.
Play stupid games and win stupid prizes, this is natural selection at work.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The law doesn't state physical threat in terms of pushing or shoving if that's what you mean.

Since black people were hung from trees, and you can find post cards of this, even hand bags made from black people hides, this presents a particular specific historical circumstance.

edit on 22-12-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Would his own admission of trying to start something be enough?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Jahari

What you are missing is it doesn't matter what he says, as long as it isn't a actionable threat.

What right so you have to touch someone because of their opinion, or free speech?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I know , i know you cant yell fire in a crowed building. They KKK have been marching and protesting for ever,,,,, whats more "frightening"..... a gorilla mask and a banana or a hooded guy from an organization with a very ugly history.

link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Race baiting? I don't like being called all the buzzword racist things either, but it doesn't give me the right to put my hands on someone.

I didn't call you anything unless you're the person in the OP who put on the gorilla mask & was holding bananas in a noose with a Confederate flag. If so, then yeah that's race baiting. So let me ask you again: with all of the accepted forms of restrictions on freedom of speech that I've listed, why are you taking a stand on race baiting? Why is that the one you find unacceptable?

You have an option, you have a choice, stop acting like it is automatic.

What are you even talking about here?

link   
The BLM movement has rioted, looted, and attacked police. Please show me where BLM individuals have been charged with civil rights violations.

Sorry, I see the hypocrisy. I hope you can prove me wrong, and prove our society treats all people equally when they threaten a community and small business owners.

See ya....
edit on 22-12-2016 by neutronflux because: Fix finger fumbles

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

A noose around a banana, I am offended as well. But I can't care enough to assault some one.

Again, or as Obama would say, let me be clear, I don't like being called names. But I realize that it isn't that important to me, if I get into a physical fight with someone it isn't becasue he is holding a banana. Sounds stupid when I write it.

I agree.

I just think in context with slavery, lynchings, segregation, and Nazi like expirments done to blacks in this country there is reason to protect the situation a little. Maybe civil rights charges are not the answer. Maybe just blacklisting from jobs and colleges.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join