It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wear a Gorilla mask and hold Banana at BLM protest You get---civil rights charges

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What the guy did was stupid and disrespectful, but it was his right to do it. Those who don't recognize that fact have sunk to a level lower than the man in the gorilla suit.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

You havent been keeping up with Salon.com have you.

Stating you are not a racist means ..........you are by default a racist.

I find this story rather ironical. A person mocks BLM and gets charged as a civil rights violation? Denial of service, employment, or housing based upon race is a civil rights violation. I mean, really? Are dirty looks a civil rights violatio ? Is crossing the street a civil rights violation?

I could see an incitement to riot charge, or maybe even a hate speech charge. I dont see a civil rights violation.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Everything that someone does that isn't inline with a potentially violent group is then inciting a riot. Right?

No, that is also potentially inciting a riot and should be dealt with in a similar fashion.

edit on 22-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

While it was in very poor taste and highly insulting it is still free speech and should be permitted.

Free speech is not about what you agree with.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
He'll likely plea down to something minor. Disorderly persons I imagine. There are some important factors that aren't working in his favor. From a local ABC affiliate:

Witnesses describe moments gorilla-masked man appeared at Black Lives Matter event

ETSU Police Officer Timothy Anderson interviewed Rettke after the event, he said the initial reason Rettke gave for his actions, “Was because he wanted to provoke violence toward himself that he was hoping that the protesters there would become violent,” Anderson said.

Also, this action could be suggestive of criminal intent if he had the girl buy the items to avoid being seen doing it:

Racist Trump Troll in a Gorilla Mask Is Exposed

The night before, Rettke had recruited a female friend to go with him to Wal-Mart to grab the gorilla mask, rope, and bananas, which Rettke apparently told her were “for a school project.”

“She had no idea what was happening,” one of Rettke’s friends said. “She felt so guilty that it had happened because she thought it was part of her responsibility.”

edit on 2016-12-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Ut oh this student is in deep trouble for using what some may say is free speech.

Others would say blatant racism.
That is not free speech.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: AlbanArthur

Is this not freedom of speech?

No it's potentially inciting a riot.

Its inciting a riot only if the people who witness it act like a bunch of apes. What about flag burning? Isn't that inciting a riot among patriots? Unless you consider the idea that patriots don't act like animals...

Free speech is free speech. I find it disgusting that anyone would say otherwise. I absolutely hate the idea of burning a flag or stamping on it. It strikes a blow at the very heart of me. But until the law changes I respect a persons right to do it. It amazes me that anyone would think burning a flag is protected speech but wearing a gorilla mask and showing people a banana is not.

It was a tasteless comment and probably should not have been made. But it was his right to make it.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Espousing one's racists views is in fact protected free speech. Attempting to incite a riot is where you get in trouble. It's not hard to prove intent when the perpetrator admits it.
edit on 2016-12-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

If racism was illegal, there would be no KKK, or Skinhead gangs. It is protected under free speech.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

If DB was here he would say he was going to dress up as a gorilla and burn a banana wrapped in a flag.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If DB was here he would say he was going to dress up as a gorilla and burn a banana wrapped in a flag.

That would pretty much solve all of it...

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
BLM is a domestic terrorist organization created and funded by the thug George Soros and condoned by obama,hilliary and the rest of the seditionists.They don't have rights and will hopefully be dealt with shortly.

if only you knew what you were talking about

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

blatant racism actually is part of free speech. the KKK , neo NAZI groups, and Black Lives matter are examples of blatantly racist groups protected under free speech. The only thing keeping this guy from walking now is whether the words spoken to the campus police about his motives to start violence were true. But unless he documented it in his report or recorded the conversation, his counsel could just claim hearsay.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Whilst screaming let's burn this Mother F****r down.

Actually, where is he?
edit on 22/12/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Not that I agree with it, but definitely falls under Freedom of speech. He will walk most likely. What he did is no worse that what BLM does every protest.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This is for closet racist to circle jerk around starred post If it if it is just free speech then why cant people yell fire In a theater you also can't invite riots or go to a gay parade and keep yelling gays are evil kill all gays without being arrested

link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Actually, where is he?

Most likely dead by now.

link   

Fortunately is. People can say what they want.

Within reason of course. Walking into a bank while screaming your head off wearing a clown mask, brandishing a toy gun and a sports bag would be quite unacceptable, even if you do insist it was a "prank" afterwards.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Inciting a riot is punishable, but actually rioting is okay....
What a messed up world we live in...

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

I imagine you can't do those things without consequence.

This guy didn't do that.

The BLM terrorist organisation seems above the law however since they can demand the deaths of people and smash up property without proper action being taken against the radical racist terrorist group.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join