It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wear a Gorilla mask and hold Banana at BLM protest You get---civil rights charges

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
I think the fact that they are in thier white uniform (which I think is extremely scary) and not a tantalizing gorilla costume helps them. I'm sure there's lots of red tape. This is a good question to ask someone in civil law.

Honestly, that has got to be the dumbest answer you could think of.

So, because they are in 'uniform' their hate speech is copasetic? So all jacknuggets in the Original Post has to do, using your logic, is start the GGG and make the uniforms gorilla outfits.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Really...ok

So freedom of speech trumps the social contract.

Did the guy handing out nooses make any direct threats?
It's crazy as hell how much this site has changed in 9 years. I swear this place is starting to look like SF Lite. I'm no fan of BLM by any means and most of us Black Americans don't even ACKNOWLEDGE these idiots, contrary to some beliefs. That being said...How can one not see that wearing a gorilla mask, with bananas in a noose, not be blatant disrespect to someone of my racial persuasion? And the guy was handing out nooses to boot? That's grounds for me to rock that chatterbox and then some. My mom is 70 and she remembers the lynchings, Jim Crow, being "put in her place", and being called out of her name. Free speech, yeah yeah yeah. Freedom of speech comes with responsibility and sometimes, consequences.
edit on 22-12-2016 by JimiBlack because: Spelling error

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

They would tell you that freedom of speech and expression are individual inalienable rights.

You are basing your argument, over a subject you know nothing about.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

the Supreme Court has effectively limited the exception to only include abusive language, exchanged face to face, which would likely provoke a violent reaction.

That quote is not in the link you provided.

My bad here are some links.

www.firstamendmentcenter.org...
www.firstamendmentcenter.org...

This is the link I should have left.

www.thefire.org...

So no you are not completely protected. Certainly not like your explaining.

And if gorilla man said anything threatening while handing the people nooses it certainly qualifies

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

And if gorilla man said anything threatening while handing the people nooses it certainly qualifies.

So what did he say?

I see we are on the same page now. While detestable, he can in fact dress that way.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Wow, I'm not arguing and I never claimed to know anything about the KKK hence my comment "I dunno".

And I don't need any "luck" from you.

What...luck to argue with idiots...keep it.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JimiBlack

That is my point.

It's why I keep saying should we consider fake beheadings of soldiers say to the children of kia soldiers, recruiting stations, or soldiers returning home free speech?

Most people were willing to explain away the racist stuff but not soldiers or jihadis handing out pamphlets.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
From the story, no noose, it was a rope wrapped around a banana.

The BLM made alot of jumps in logic.

He is protected by the 1st amendment.

In the video, Madison asked Rettke what he was doing in the gorilla mask, and the 18-year-old replied that he was supporting the protestors.

“He said, ‘I identify as a gorilla,’” Madison said. “I took that as a reference to me being black. And I took him wearing a mask at a Black Lives Matter protest … the fact that black people historically been called monkeys.”

Madison told the court he considered Rettke’s bananas “a very serious threat,” the Press reports.

“When you come offer me a banana this close to my face, it’s calling me a monkey, and I’m not a monkey,” he said.

Other students said Rettke wrapped a rope around the banana and pulled it tight to cut it into slices, which they likened to the country’s ugly history of black lynchings.

edit on 22-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Most people were willing to explain away the racist stuff but not soldiers or jihadis handing out pamphlets.

Protected free speech.

People hand out 'down with America' pamphlets now.

link   

I was referring to freedom of speech and expression, which was stated in my comments several times.

You are attempting to make a reference to something that I have not even commented over.

Nice trolling though, I should have known better to comment on this thread, it's toxic.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What didn't he say? Do you know

We are on the same page, handing someone a noose face to face is heading into a grey area now is it.

And yeah we are I hope you take back your over arching statements that free speech is always protected. Like where you say it doesn't matter what he said.
edit on 22-12-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Only someone of low class and mental standing would do what he did. But with freedom of speech. If you want to say stupid disgusting things. Its your right to say stupid and disgusting things.

I think people are arguing over the wrong thing though. He is not being charged with wearing a gorilla suit and holding a banana. He is not being charged with being racist.

He is being charged the way he is because he admitted to a police officer that he wanted to incite violence. End of story. Its no longer a matter of free speech. Because he used his free speech to admit to wanting to incite violence.

He pulled this stunt to prove to the world that black people are dumb animals, but what he ultimately showed was how dumb he was. Never admit anything to a police officer when you are being questioned before a possible arrest. They can and will use it against you.

PRIDE cometh before a fall.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

We are on the same page, handing someone a noose fave to face is heading into a grey area now is it.

And yeah we are I hope you take back your over arching statements that free speech is always protected. Like where you say it doesn't matter what he said.

'Handing' someone anything requires that they accept it. If they do that is their issue.

I get bombarded with literature every time I am walking in New York City. You know what I do? Keep walking and not take any of it.

edit on 22-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

According to the story no noose.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It is but the jihadis won't be allowe d and neither would the fake beheadings. Because they express real situations that can incite violence. .

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

So why can the anarchist hand out 'down with America' pamphlets but not the hardcore Muslim?

And chopping the head off of a dummy is chopping the head off a dummy. I saw people with effigies in Lower Manhattan during Occupy and other protests. Why was that not illegal?

edit on 22-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

No where in the story does it say he said that to the police.

“I seen a student in a mask, holding a rope and asking people, ‘Do you want bananas?’ and holding up a sack that had a Southern flag,” Jeremiah Pearson, a student who helped organize the event, told the court.

Pearson said he repeatedly quested Rettke about his purpose for the stunt, and Rettke replied “I’m doing what you’re doing.”

Pearson also likened the banana and rope trick to Rettke “snapping someone’s neck.”

“I never felt that type of fear in my life,” Pearson said.

Rettke left the school days after the incident, and school officials condemned his actions. His attorney told WCYB afterwards that the student regretted his actions, but asserted they are protected by his constitutional right to freedom of speech.

Judge Lincoln ultimately determined prosecutors presented enough evidence to send the case to a grand jury with the additional charges, and his case could proceed to criminal court in 2017 if he’s indicted.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Spider879

Far from a Nazi.
Just as you have the right to "speak" as you just did, so does he.

Personally I'm tired of racism being Americas #1 problem and the people who exploit it. Fair is fair. Let's play with an even field for a change. Ophra Winfrey said black people cannot be raciest! Really? So only white people are. BLM is not raciest by their actions? How about Chicago? If BLM matters, why is BLM not bitching about the black on black killings? And protesting.

The guy was a stupid college kid and obviously trying to get YouTube famous. Why is this even news? It is, what it is! Dumb fricken kid. Why are the black panthers able to say what they do without criticism? How does Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton get away with what they say? No, just a dumb kid and not a reflection nor stance of the average burb white person. Let's get real.

Denny

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

ETSU Police Officer Timothy Anderson interviewed Rettke after the event, he said the initial reason Rettke gave for his actions, “Was because he wanted to provoke violence toward himself that he was hoping that the protesters there would become violent,” Anderson said.

LINK

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

If he didn't straight up admit that, then a lesser charge of infringement of civil rights would have probably been slapped on him.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join