It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Trump still planning on raising import tarrifs to stop companies from sending jobs to china??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The election over saturated me, so I haven't watched much politics lately.

Is trump still saying he is going to raise taxes on companies using cheap foreign labor to tap American markets? I think a lot of people on both sides think it is horrible the way manufacturing jobs are going to 1 dollar an hour slave labor.

I know with the carrier deal he basically bribed to stay by cutting their taxes, which is kinda the opposite lol.

Any word on his plans yet?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Just the threat is enough to get the profit hungry companies to re-think sending jobs to third world countries, (not just China) or some would say exploitative labor markets.

Will Trump actually slap 35% tariffs on stuff? I think he would.
edit on 22-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

He's not in office yet. We'll see. Originally, 33 percent tariffs were the protection to prevent companies from leaving in the first place. But the corporations lobbied (bribed) politicians to change that, long ago. And will again to prevent increasing the tariff.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

A bigger problem is H-1B visas...

He needs to reign that in before anything else, and he's got the balls to do it; so, hopefully that happens quick-like.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Is Trump still planning on raising import tarrifs to stop companies from sending jobs to china??

Yes..

That was easy...

Any more questions?

-Chris

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

The other day he said he was.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I really, truly hope so. Ford makes a killing off it's "Tough American Truck" image, but they don't even rank on the "Made in America" list. You know who's first? Who actually make the most cars IN America and provides jobs?...............
Toyota.
What a fu**in joke.

fortune.com...

The phrase “made in America” has always pulled at the hearts and wallets of loyal, red-blooded consumers, and never more so than in the automotive space. But according to research released Monday, the car company that qualifies as most American is....the Toyota Camry.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If he's smart he will raise import tariffs on manufactured goods and lower import (or remove entirely) import tariffs on raw materials. This will encourage manufacturing here in the US vs. importing the same from overseas and Mexico.

At the same time he should raise export duties on raw materials such as grain, corn, etc. and lower/remove any remaining export duties on manufactured good here.

Another thing he could do would be to significantly lower DOT/NHTSA safety standards on vehicles manufactured in the US destined for export to countries which do not have these standards thereby making them more attractive and affordable internationally. And while it may seem odd, there actually is pretty high demand for US vehicles overseas (i.e. Ford and Chevrolet brands in particular).

And one last thing regarding raw materials; he could help existing companies by lowering the highly onerous EPA standards in industries such as mining and oil exploration, refining and transport. Many of these rules help no one but bureaucrats.

edit on 12/22/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thank you for that info, you know quite a bit about the tariffs, duty, import and export.

When I was working at a large factory, soda ash used to come in huge huge sacks, 2500 pounds from some company out west.
Then around 2008 it started to come from India. It always made me wonder why the change (I'm no idiot, $$$$)? And is the product from India as good as US made products?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Just the threat is enough to get the profit hungry companies to re-think sending jobs to third world countries, (not just China) or some would say exploitative labor markets.

Will Trump actually slap 35% tariffs on stuff? I think he would.

I disagree completely... I think the threat does nothing.

Hell it is more profitable to wait till you had to make a decision.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I thought it was Honda.

link   
I think everyone should take a look at Smoot/Hawley before asking to have tariffs raised.

Unilateral trade deals would be the better bet.

link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

A bigger problem is H-1B visas...

He needs to reign that in before anything else, and he's got the balls to do it; so, hopefully that happens quick-like.

Those don't touch the whole of manufacturing migo.

H1B's are for uber high skilled people right? Which by definition is less than the huge swaths of regular joe jobs lost.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The other day he said he was.

Nice

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I really, truly hope so. Ford makes a killing off it's "Tough American Truck" image, but they don't even rank on the "Made in America" list. You know who's first? Who actually make the most cars IN America and provides jobs?...............
Toyota.
What a fu**in joke.

fortune.com...

The phrase “made in America” has always pulled at the hearts and wallets of loyal, red-blooded consumers, and never more so than in the automotive space. But according to research released Monday, the car company that qualifies as most American is....the Toyota Camry.

Well I've always heard it cost more to ship a car than to build it there, but obviously Mexico should prob count as "building it here" for transportation purposes.

But I've always heard cars are the one job that can't get shipped over seas.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think everyone should take a look at Smoot/Hawley before asking to have tariffs raised.

Unilateral trade deals would be the better bet.

I personally would do it by environmental catagory.

If it is harsh on your local ecosystem to make it at home. Then have low import taxes.

If it is not bad for you local eco system then have high import taxes.

Let everyone else destroy their native lands while ours is preserved.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

You do understand that if china becomes polluted it will effect everyone else.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

HA!! How ironic! I actually worked for those very companies you refer to for many years when I was younger. There are three of them, and they're all located in SW Wyoming. Stauffer Chemical and Church & Dwight were the bigger ones. Many know Church & Dwight by another name...Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. Wyoming is sitting on the largest Trona ore deposits on Earth. Trona is the ore manufactured into baking soda.

The Indian company you refer to is probably a company called "Tata", and they've now bought up some of the mines in Wyoming.

ETA....And some trivia for those interested: Auto windshields (at least in the US and Europe) would not be possible without Trona (aka baking soda).

edit on 12/22/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

How do you figure a "uni"lateral trade deal is any different than a tariff when you distill it down to it's fundamental elements? Different words, but pretty much the same thing.

"multi"lateral is a different matter, but not nearly as advantageous.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
How do you figure a "uni"lateral trade deal is any different than a tariff when you distill it down to it's fundamental elements? Different words, but pretty much the same thing.

"multi"lateral is a different matter, but not nearly as advantageous.

Because it allows you to get more granular and action on issues like currency manipulation or material dumping for example.

Negotiating multi-lateral programs are inherently more difficult by their nature and create more loopholes by which you can circumvent particular parameters thereby defeating regulations or controls.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join