It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion - A New Perspective... WE ARE PREGNANT!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
All of my adult life, I have been pro-choice. I was sexually active at a young age, and I wouldn't have ever batted an eye if I was put into a position of "needing" to provide an abortion for one of my partners. I honestly never thought about the subject critically enough to have a strong opinion either way.

Abortion is a political topic that is filled with rage on both sides. The left paints it as a choice, that a woman should have 100% unfettered rights when it comes to terminating a pregnancy at any stage. They claim that the child is a "glob of cells" or even a "parasite." Many people on the left are even... gulp.... proud of their abortions. Feminist Lena Dunham recently said that she has never had an abortion, but "wishes she had."

People on the right believe that abortion at any stage is murder. They believe that an unborn child is a child with god given, and constitutionally protected rights. They often tie religious beliefs to their pro-life views.

I am now in my mid 30's. I am a centrist libertarian on the political spectrum. I have never really described myself as left or right. I have also never had a horse in the race as far as this topic goes.

But now, my girlfriend is pregnant. I have never planned on having children, and never really thought that I would. Yesterday, we had our "high risk" 12 week ultrasound. Take a look at this image (not mine) of what an unborn child looks like at 12 weeks:

The ultrasound literally took hours. My child was moving like a little maniac! He (hopefully) was flipping from front to back, side to side, and every which way. It was so CRAZY! I could not believe what I was seeing.... and at only 12 weeks! He had a brain, spinal cord, legs, arms, a cute little butt, basically a little tiny human. It was quite the amazing event, and I am forever changed...

I have now rethought my views on abortion. I am no scientist, but my baby was NOT a "glob of cells." I saw, with my own two eyes, a human life, vulnerable and getting ready to jump into this world. What level of brain activity does he have? Can he dream? Does he have one foot in another plane of existence? What is he feeling and experiencing right now? I had a discussion with my brother today, and I just cannot believe that people can be so calloused about abortion. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that abortion is ending a human life. After seeing what a 12 week old fetus looks like, I cannot even BEGIN to think about late term abortion, it absolutely makes me sick to my stomach.

I could probably go on, but I just thought I would share what has been swimming around in my head today. I have come to the belief that abortion is abhorrent, and that late term abortion is 100% without a doubt MURDER!

I think the most voracious pro-choice people should really try and look at the other side of the argument, and try to leave partisan ideology out of it.

Holy crap, I am having a baby!

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Congratulations.

A blob of cells it is not!

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
DP
edit on 22-12-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian
Congratulations! You're about to undertake a wondrous journey.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Welcome to the world of parenthood. It WILL change you for the better, if your sane anyways. Everything you do in life from here on will be ultimately for the interests of your child. Did you visit my thread on revisiting Abortion Laws?? I added a section that requires father's consent for abortions, with medical exemptions of course so that a father cannot hold the mother's life in danger by refusing consent for an abortion he disagrees with. Check it out and let me know what you think!
edit on 12-22-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Congratulations to you and your partner. It's an amazing experience for me so far with my 4 year old girl. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
First of all, congrats. I had an unplanned pregnancy the first year I was married. The result of that pregnancy is now a beautiful 15 year old young lady.

I must ask you - what if next week your girlfriend develops a serious problem with the pregnancy which means her life is in imminent danger if she carries the child any further? Would you try convince her to carry it knowing she will likely die? I'm sure you are aware that even though the ultrasound shows you a tiny "person", it has no chance of surviving out of the womb at 13 weeks, therefore an abortion would be the only way to save your girlfriend's life.

The vast majority of abortions happen before 12 weeks. Late term abortions happen due to the woman's life being in danger, or a fetus that has developed such serious health complications to the point it would be cruel to force its birth. Late term abortions involve gut wrenching decisions being made by parents who loved and wanted their baby.

My point is that it a little more complicated than "abortion is murder".

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Congratulations!

My missus is 26 weeks now, due at the end of March.

I had a similar experience, although if I am honest, I have always found abortion so distasteful... but now..... I really just can't fathom the way some people talk about it, like it's just a medical procedure. That little boy has been wriggling around for us since the first time we saw him, we have named him Elih and have talked about him by name since about 8 weeks. He's already my son, my little man and I haven't even seen his face yet.

I know some will say, well sure, it's fine for you, clearly you are in a stable happy relationship, planned a child etc. and I get that there are situations where this is not the case. For me, the problem with abortion is that it is state sponsored. It is talked about as if it's a first line form of contraception rather than the drastic last resort it should be. Why would kids feel any differently if told that it is totally normal to have unprotected sex and then just "get rid" of any responsibility that might come with it?

I know there are extreme cases, health of mother, or rape, but the vast majority of abortions are for convenience.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Just for the record, it's not "Pro-Choice vs Anti-Abortion". It's "Pro-Choice vs No Choice" and "Pro-Abortion vs Anti-Abortion".

Being pro-choice is as simple as not wanting politicians and bureaucrats to force women to do A, B, and C with their bodies. This includes but is not limited to forced vaginal probes; forced funerals for fetuses; imprisonment in some places for having some types of miscarriages; forced abortions like in China; being denied access to abortions when the woman's life is in danger; being denied access to birth control, etc. Being pro-choice does NOT mean someone is pro-abortion.

As an example, I'm pro-choice but anti-abortion. I hate abortion with a passion, but instead of wanting to intimidate and punish women, I want society to focus on ways to reduce the need for abortions in the first place. That includes things like having a true zero tolerance policy for rapes; improving our health care system so that "death by childbirth" is a thing of the past; making sure all females have access to free birth control (while making birth control treatments available for males, too); etc.

ETA: There's something I'm often reminded of on this topic: pregnancies affect females far more than they affect males. It's easy for us guys to tell a woman she should do all these different things with her body, but she's the one who has to deal with the direct repercussions. Things like waking up to random vomiting fits; possibly permanently losing her shape; the random and aggressive contractions that I've been told feel like being punched or stabbed; etc. Then there's the massive lifestyle change that comes with being a newborn mother, which males will simply never be able to understand.

Then imagine being told by your doctors that there's a good chance you'll die if you give birth to your child. There are deadbeat dads from all demographics. Why should a woman risk death to give birth to a child after a deadbeat has abandoned them? This is why I would like stronger anti-deadbeat parent laws, so we can reduce the number of abortions spurred by this. I know there are women who abandon their kids too, but it's far more often that males do it.
edit on 22-12-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Congratulations! Your child will bring unfathomable joy to your life. I'm sure you are already feeling a rush of parental expectation to make your child's life better than your own. I have no doubt you will be an incredible dad.

Please just don't forget when you were young, and please express empathy for citizens not as well off.

You've obviously grown up, into an incredible human being, who found love and is ready to teach that to the next generation. I hope you pass on everything you know and take no restraint in emphasizing your ideals.

Just don't forget, everyone has a different path. There is no such thing as black or white. Only stories, with unique individuals and human experiences.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

As an example, I'm pro-choice but anti-abortion. I hate abortion with a passion, but instead of wanting to intimidate and punish women, I want society to focus on ways to reduce the need for abortions in the first place. That includes things like having a true zero tolerance policy for rapes; improving our health care system so that "death by childbirth" is a thing of the past; making sure all females have access to free birth control (while making birth control treatments available for males, too); etc.

Yes, and sex education is also very important in reducing unwanted pregnancies. We must remember that the number of abortions in the U.S. has been on a continual downward trend over the last few decades. A lot of that is due to education and easier access to birth control.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I agree completely.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Congratulations! That is wonderful news! Get yourself prepared for the most incredible journey of your life, because you won't know what hit you when the wee fellow is here!

As far as abortion goes, you won't know what you would do unless you were in that position. It's one thing to hypothesise, but it's not until you are in that position that you can make a decision and know what you will do. And even then, it has to be the parent's decision, not anyone else's and God forbid, certainly not some bureaucrat in a suit's decision.

And thankfully, it's not a decision you have to contemplate because your wee one sounds like a healthy, wriggly little baby!

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Congratulations to you too!

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Congratulations, you are taking the first few steps into a wonderful world. Best wishes to you all three.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Congrats!!!

Goodluck, you're gonna need it!

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Congrats!!!

I've always told my friends without kids that their views on abortion will change after they have kids. Although I do agree with Kaylaluv (Cant believe I wrote that) that it is a little more complicated than "abortion is murder"

Although I am pro-life, some people on the the pro-choice side are reasonable and others are just crazy. Like Lena Dunham that you mentioned. Some wear abortion like a badge of honor and I find that truly disgusting.
edit on 22-12-2016 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Good luck brother. It's the most amazing thing you will ever do in life. And it lasts for as long as you are alive. Teenage years suck, but don't worry about that right now, babies bring a joy to you that opens a part of your heart you didn't know was there. (Grandbabies are even better!)

On abortion, I believe as you have just realized, it's murder. But, I also believe that it's not my place to tell someone what they can or can't do, and what sins they can or cannot commit. That is between them and their God.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Congratulations!
I wish we would never NEED abortions. Like many above in this thread have said, education and birth control methods make it so abortions happen less, which is a step in the right direction.

This may sound controversial but I'd really rather a woman abort a baby than have it and be unable to raise it, or worse, abuse it (that or put the poor thing up for adoption, that would be better). We have too many parents who just aren't fit to be parents.

Every child deserves a loving family.

edit on 22-12-2016 by servovenford because: removed an apostrophe that shouldn't be there

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Congrats!

Your world will never be the same again.

Now you can see why I think abortion is a cruel barbaric act.
edit on 22-12-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join