It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Set to blow? Supervolcano Campi Flegrei reawakening near Naples, could hit 500,000 people

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=21728260]TrueAmerican[/post

I'm with you on this one, especially after reading your book!!
edit on 9-1-2017 by easley2 because: Post on wrong line

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I don't think skepticism and concern are mutually exclusive. I'm skeptical, but VERY concerned about this. My point was just to illustrate that we've seen this kind of apathy toward something before, with disastrous consequences and loss of life resulting.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Any thoughts on the recent earthquakes near Rome? I haven't had time to look into this too much, apart from the article, which was very interesting to read.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Ok, it seems Vesuvius had a huge eruption 2000 years before the Pompeii eruption - and it appears to have been so sudden that remains have been found in the act of fleeing (much more sudden than its better known eruption). Geologists have found evidence for at least 8 huge Vesuvius eruptions, every 2-3 thousand years.......and it has been 2000 since the last major event.

Beyond this, BBC had a documentary on a couple of weeks ago about Italy's lost towns / buried history. The first episode was around the Bay of Naples and they found at least 5 other towns in the region that have all either sunk beneath the waves or risen to be destroyed by ground deformation.......since the Pompeii eruption.

So have have a huge caldera and a much more massively active than suspected Vesuvius causing regular damage in the area.

Some of the towns they dived on indicated pretty sudden destruction. For example, by simply wiping away sand sediments, floors were almost perfectly preserved. This means that despite being submerged, they didn't have time to weather at the surface first (sudden deluge). This, in turns, indicates that Campi Flegri "breathes" pretty damn deeply......

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join