It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Attacking cloud upsets Russia, fighter scrambled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
An intrusion was registered by the Baltic Fleet's air defence systems Wednesday afternoon. A SU-27 fighter plane was ordered into the air outside Kaliningrad to intercept the intruder. However the intruder left Russia's airspace near the Lithuanian city of Kibartai before the fighter plane reached it. Military officials, Lithuania and Poland later revealed the intruder was actually a thick cloud that was being driven by a strong wind.

www.news24.com
Moscow - A Russian air force fighter jet was scrambled on Wednesday and dispatched to the border with Lithuania to intercept an intruding aircraft, which later turned out to be a thick, fast moving cloud, a Russian news agency reported.

Anatoly Lobsky, an aide to the Russian Baltic Fleet commander, told the ITAR-Tass news agency that a Su-27 fighter was ordered into the air near Russia's Baltic Sea enclave of Kaliningrad after radar spotted a light plane entering Russian airspace from Lithuania.

The Baltic Fleet's air defence command post and military officials and Lithuania and Poland later revealed the intruder was actually a thick cloud that was being driven by a strong wind, Lobsky said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Russian radar has to be rather sensitive to think a cloud could be an actual plane. I think it is kind of humorous they put a fighter on scramble to find out. It could be aliens or even a new form of stealth/concelment technology. But to get something to move as slow as a cloud, yet perform at near MACH speeds would mean VTOL

Related News Links:
www.mosnews.com
www.itar-tass.com

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
They might be a little BUTTON TWITCHY??

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What if this was when the EE was still around and they had a more jumpy nuclear first strike automation program? The Soviets did have a ship that would auto-launch if its radiation detectors were triggered by radiation (thus being abel to counter strike if a US decapitation attack worked).

What if they were set to respond if there were any airspace intrusions? What if they knew the US had stealth warplanes, and figured that the signal was a lucky break in the stealthiness?

Hell, even if they jumped to a higher readiness level the US would be forced to respond in kind, and then them and then the US, etc etc.

Good thing the leadership of both countries had a history and commitment to be diplomatically engaged.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The auto launch program was called "Dead Hand" If I remember correctly being able to launch nukes even if all Russian command was taken out first. Very Scary

I remember a flock of birds Russia thought might be a fleet of B-2s which got them somewhat on edge.

Atleast they never went ahead a built their Doomsday ship

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Dear DEAD HAND, the man with the plan!!

The Man with a Withered Hand, Matthew (12:9-13)

"Moving on from there, he went into THEIR synagogue. And behold, there was a man there who had a withered hand. THEY questioned him, 'Is it lawful to CURE on the sabbith?' so that they might accuse him. He said to them , 'Which one of you who has a sheep that falls into a pit on the sabbath will not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable a person is than a sheep. So it is lawful to do good on the sabbath.' Then he said to the man, 'Stetch out your hand.' He stretched it out, and it was restored as sound as the other. But the Pharisees went out and took counsel against him to put him to DEATH"

"... but he warned them not to make him known. This was to fulfill what had been spoken through ISAIAH the prophet:
' Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,
MY BELOVED in whom I delight;
I shall place my spirit upon him,
and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.
He will not contend or cry out,
nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets.

A bruised reed he will not break,
a smoldering wick he will not quench,
until he brings justice to victory.
And in his name the Gentiles will HOPE.' "

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
All I can say in response to this article is, "Глупые Русские."

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The Division of Legion ".... because there were many."

And this little PIGGIE jumped off the cliff, with the many!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Maybe it was one of those "chemtrail UFOs?"

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Atleast they never went ahead a built their Doomsday ship

I thought it was recently revealed that they did infact built it. Or are you refering to a differnt ship, one the auto strike, the other the 'doomsday' one that would simply detonate enough nuke matierial to 'contaminate the world' and such?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I was thinking of the one that would have been a huge bomb. They didnt go ahead and build that did they?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
fortunately, There was no longer a Dead Hand response to Chernobyl incident!

If Russian radar responds to thick clouds, does that mean it's sensitve enough to see stealth airplanes???

[edit on 28-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
at least their radar works unlike the ones on the US subs

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Good to see the Russian's on the ball regarding this instance. I would love to travel to Kaliningrad one day due to it's unique geographical/political position

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo
at least their radar works unlike the ones on the US subs

How is radar supposed to work under water?

Subs don't generally use active sonar, it gives away their position. Passive sonar wouldn’t tell them they were about to run into anything, unless the underwater mountain was making noise.

new topics

top topics

join