It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Religious Freedom Act Becomes Law in USA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SethTsaddik

Actually, that is not persecution, but in fact freedom of speech. And you equally have the right to tell that nuisance of a Christian to suck it. The same thing happens at political protests. People have the right to speak, disagree, and even get into heated arguments as long as there is not violence or threat of violence.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Can I ask what were atheist prosecuted for prior to this law?
Not PROSECUTED. Persecuted. Like the Christians always claim....picked on, ridiculed, refused service, blamed for intolerance, etc. But they are the ones picketing veteran funerals, and refusing to bake cakes or sign marriage licenses.....and wanting a 'registry of Muslims', etc. IN THE MIDDLE EAST, YES - CHRISTIANS ARE TREATED LIKE CRAP BY MUSLIMS.
In Africa, CHILDREN HAVE ACID POURED DOWN THEIR THROATS AND ARE BURNED ALIVE BY CHRISTIANS.

Christians have been claiming "persecution" for centuries. Always and forever...they claim they are put-upon, abused, etc. Yes, in the Middle East, some of them are. But in Russia, or here in the USA, or in Europe...NOPE. They simply like to act like they are.

So - they also talk about atheists as "anti-christs", and "demons" and "satan-worshippers" and "persecutors"......
and they have no tolerance for any other religion (and in some cases, even 'any other denomination' than their own).

THIS IS NOT ALL CHRISTIANS. It is the rabid right-wing Evangelical types....like Pence, and Walker, and Kim Davis, and plenty of talking heads.
They need to get over themselves, once and for all.
NO ONE CARES what god you pray to, as long as you do it PRIVATELY and don't tell everyone else they are "going to hell" or are "abominations" or what-ever-have-you hateful thing.

And true to form, buzz comes along acting like the atheist equivalent to the very people she demonizes, no different, just opposite to the Pence, and Walker, and Kim Davis, and plenty of other talking heads.

Do you ever consider that you are just like them buzz, no different, just on the opposite side, acting the same way.

You have become as extreme as those you hate, just on the opposite side.
Take another chill pill and let it go

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

a reply to: ChesterJohn

oh hai chet.

But they (atheist) sure do like to persecute Christians. I have not seen them (Atheist) as of yet go after Islam, Buddhist, Animists, Wiccan's, Satan Worshipers, Scientology etc etc etc.

I would be interested in readying any real stories about Atheist going after any other religion than Christian or about them being persecuted.

YOU ARE NOT BEING PERSECUTED! You are playing "martyr" and hoping people will notice.

Keep your beliefs to yourself. ANyone who wants to hear it will find you. You don't need to go preying upon unsuspecting, innocent people minding their own business.

EVERYONE KNOWS HOW TO REACH A CHURCH PERSON if they want to. So - just. Nunya. Mindya. Shutya. All that.
Just stop. The Amazonian jungle dwellers aren't reading along here. Stop preaching, please all gods and angels and ancestors and saints and spirit guides ---- PLEASE HALT THE PREACHING!

So you want to deny the right to free speech, very atheist, communist, stalinesque of you buzz

Take your foot out of your mouth, maybe do a mao or do a pol pot, kill those who disagree with your dictator attitude.

Maybe just walk away, dont read a thread, dont react like a petulant school child, ask nicely that people stop preaching at you and walk away, you are not a captive audience

I deal with mormons and jehovah witnesses, calvinists, sikhs, budhists and sometimes scientologists and I dont act like I have been molested
Grow up

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
Then it should have nothing to do with the POTUS. International law signed by the President is unenforceable without war/proxy wars. This gives the President a license to wage war whenever they feel like it (since the ME is always trying to kill each other.)

Your understanding of United States civics is pathetic.

The President is involved for two reasons. The bill was created in Congress (where all laws originate) and was sent to the President for his signature. Secondly, the President, as the head of state, is the governmental figure decreed by the Constitution to handle foreign affairs.

Additionally, this is not 'international law', it is United States foreign policy and war is certainly not the only way to implement foreign policy.

Oh, and one last thought, the President, due to the War Powers Act, can pretty much wage war whenever he wants right now.

edit on 22-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: chrismarco

I have never read of any atheists ever being persecuted for the non belief in a god.

But they (atheist) sure do like to persecute Christians. I have not seen them (Atheist) as of yet go after Islam, Buddhist, Animists, Wiccan's, Satan Worshipers, Scientology etc etc etc.

I would be interested in readying any real stories about Atheist going after any other religion than Christian or about them being persecuted.

You may link away so I may read.

I know it's difficult to grasp...but Christianity is by far the largest religion where atheists (like me) live. Shall I carry on spelling out for you or can you take over from here?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SethTsaddik
Aren't you being a little bit too dramatic regarding what persecution supposedly is? Persecution from a biblical perspective (or what the bible means when it's talking about persecution):

PERSECUTION

Harassment or injury that is deliberately inflicted on persons because of social status, racial origin, or religious faith and beliefs, the purpose in the latter instance being to stamp out such beliefs and prevent their spread among new converts. The Hebrew verb ra·dhaphʹ and the Greek di·oʹko, which mean “persecute,” can also be rendered “pursue, chase.”—Ex 15:9; De 1:44; Ro 14:19; Lu 17:23.

Persecution takes various forms. It may be limited to verbal abuse, ridicule, and insults (2Ch 36:16; Ac 19:9), or it may include economic pressures (Re 13:16, 17), bodily injury (Mt 27:29, 30; Ac 5:40), imprisonment (Lu 21:12; Ac 16:22-24), hatred, and even death. (Mt 24:9; Ac 12:2) It may be promoted by religious authorities (Mr 3:6; Ac 24:1, 27), or it may be carried out by uninformed persons (Ge 21:8, 9; Ga 4:29) and ignorant ones (1Ti 1:13) or by unreasoning, fanatical mobs. (Lu 4:28, 29; Ac 14:19; 17:5) But often these parties are only the agents of more powerful and sinister instigators—unseen wicked spirit forces.—Eph 6:11, 12.

Source: Persecution: Insight, Volume 2

Of course, to some people, all sorts of minor things can be considered as insulting or harassment. I wouldn't worry too much if you aren't put in these kind of situations yet:

edit on 22-12-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

sigh

No, Rags.
You're still at it, I see.

AND GODDAMMIT for the umpteenth time - I AM NOT AN ATHEIST!

But you are "persecuting" me because you like to call me an atheist. So ---- yep. I will continue to tell you to shut up about my beliefs......until you shut up about it. Deal? Good.

You shut up, and I'll stop telling you to quit bullying me.

edit on 12/22/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
so, now they have to react to the saudi policies that are aimed towards women??
I bet they don't....
they will react to those countries that they wish to react to, while still ignoring the fact that much of the same goes on in those countries that they consider friends.

they will no longer be able to ignore those policies that are in this country or others that are there simply to throw hurdles in the way when it comes to people's freedom to act according to their conscience... and that includes their ability to move about in society freely. so while this is aimed at those middle eastern countries that we see as our enemy and ISIS, it could eventually be aimed at some christian churches here in the US, who are still teaching little girls and women that their place in society is secondary and they should be obeying the man in their lives in all things without question. essentially replacing their own conscious and beliefs with those of that man.

it should at least inhibit the christian right from framing the laws to the point where that man's god given right to rule is enforced in any way.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

sigh

No, Rags.
You're still at it, I see.

It is not about "free speech" - it is about BULLYING. And yes, I will continue to PROTEST against religious zealots who denigrate everyone else but refuse to see their own arrogance, hypocrisy, and belligerence, INCLUDING YOU.
You are, incidentally, one of the worst offenders and habitually negative and counter-productive Bible-thumpers on this board.

Keep your beliefs to yourself. They do nothing but damage.
Adults are able to tell you to bugger off. Children are not. LEAVE THE CHILDREN ALONE. So like you to twist it up to make yourself look icky again.

AND GODDAMMIT for the umpteenth time - I AM NOT AN ATHEIST!

Well it's clear you are still at it by your thread

Listen to yourself, you are the bully acting the victim, you preach hate

Go read your post and think about it

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Maybe just walk away, dont read a thread, dont react like a petulant school child, ask nicely that people stop preaching at you and walk away, you are not a captive audience

and, if I walk away and they follow?? if I am in a spot where I can't walk away, like in the workplace??
I don't have this problem personally.. I just tell them why I left the church to begin with, which, is related to what I posted in my previous post. and they can't answer my question and usually leave me alone.
your religion sets the man of the house up as the ruler of the family, both spiritually as well as on the physical plane..
and then you go around aiming your recruitment at women and children... both of whom I really question...
have you really given them the power and right to accept the recruitment or is it really all dependent on weather or not they can bring their husband, father, into the fold???

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Shut. Up.

When you do that, no one will give you a hard time.

I don't preach "hate." I preach SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR RELIGION.
STOP TELLING CHILDREN ABOUT YOUR RELIGION, and stop attacking people who have none.

I edited my post to you, but since your c/p is already a matter of record, NOW HEAR THIS:

STOP TALKING TO ME ABOUT YOUR RELIGION, and I will GLADLY and forever more STOP TELLING YOU TO STOP IT.

See? Easy peasy, jeezy kreezy. STOP SPREADING YOUR DELUSIONS AND YOUR RELIGIOUS IDEAS. And then no one will have to tell you to stop spreading it.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
From what I see by reading the summary of H.R. 1150, it seems like this just opens the door for more meddling in other countries' affairs.

Not a fan, if that's the core intent...which it seems to be.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No Sir/Ma'am (whichever is most applicable)! My understanding of US civics is sufficient, and the President should have vetoed this bill. All it does is open more windows for eco-bullying with sanctions and more congressional rubber-necking.

If America gave two spitballs about religious freedom abroad, we would not have signed deals with Iran. We would've erected the world's tallest middle finger facing Saudi Arabia, we would've left NATO, the (sad joke that is the) UN, and we would not be co-ordinating military efforts with (the terrorist state) Turkey in an attempt to fight religious extremists (ISIS) that we both aided (Turkey and USA).

This law is a selfrighteous attempt to attone for deliberate decisions made by the US Govt & Co. Hypocrites!
edit on 22-12-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

No Sir/Ma'am (whichever is most applicable)! My understanding of US civics is sufficient...

Then how did you confuse the impact on United States citizens and ask why the President was involved?

...and the President should have vetoed this bill.

Well, he did not, and all it did was update an older version passed in the late 1990's by a Republican Congress and signed by a Democratic President.

Which is exactly the same as now.

edit on 22-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but at least he is not a religious nutter

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I'll admit that I did read the bill until I got home last night, so I did speak too soon. However, an honorable President would have vetoed the bill, but when has Obama done anything honorable.

It didnt just updated and older law. It expanded federal bullying rights.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It didnt just updated and older law. It expanded federal bullying rights.

In dealing strictly with foreign governments. It has nothing to do with United States citizens.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Please keep in mind that it protects EVERYONE who is not Christian: atheists, muslims, wiccans, jews, pagans, etc. No more picking on NON-CHRISTIANS.

Why wouldn't this apply to Christians?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

No, it does not effect US citizens directly, but its still a robust act of BS.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

No, it does not effect US citizens directly, but its still a robust act of BS.

The merits of the law are an entirely different aspect and one which you are entitled to disagree with. I was merely correcting the notions that this impacts United States citizens.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Why wouldn't this apply to Christians?

Whoa. It ABSOLUTELY DOES apply to Christians. It applies to everyone. Burning Christians at the stake, and burning "witches" at the stake.....
ya know...

NOT OKAY.

Throwing people off buildings, or cutting their heads off, or exiling them, or demonizing them, or forcing them to 'register' and to live in a specific and defined area..... it's not okay. It's NOT OKAY to judge what others do IN THEIR PRIVATE LIVES.

Just bloody leave them alone.

Humans are tribal. We are not really designed to be melting pots ---- but why can't we at least TRY, at the very least, to come up with some baseline standards of what becomes "public" vs what should remain "private"?

in my view, Evangelicals (as opposed to Catholics or mainstream Protestants) are haters. They are stalkers and bullies. Yes, I do the same to them on these boards. They REAP WHAT THEY SOW.

It has to stop. As soon as everyone just shuts the hell up about their inner demons or imaginary friends or misguided neuroses ..... (because it is a private issue that has NOTHING to do with ANYONE but the subject who thinks it...) As soon as everyone realizes that It is not okay to poison everyone else's thinking by demonizing anyone else -----

AS SOON AS THAT HAPPENS, everyone shuts up, and we don't have to do anything but look into the phenomenon of "religion", as an anthropological trait.

One more point: It's called BLOWBACK.

Stop pushing, and you won't be shoved.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join