It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow fall in Sahara Desert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
For those who hasn't seen it yet, here are some beautiful photos from a snowy Sahara desert.
Remind me a bit of the Landmannalaugar in Iceland or the Zhangye Danxia in China.

It's been over 37 years since the last snowfall there, what the article claims. Although I found reports from 2012 when it also snowed in the Sahara desert.
Here are some of the shots from this week.

(All photos courtesy Karim Bouchetata)
More story and photo on the Sahara snowfall here and here

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The more I see of 2016, the more I think the Mayans were off by about 4 years.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

21 dec 2016... a few hours left... let's all hope they were wrong...this world can need a reset

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The Earth gets warmer and the Earth cools and in the middle you can find some extreme events that hint at the possibilities that are out there yet they're not by themselves an indication that everything is going to freeze over right away.

History seems to indicate a pretty rapid change in global conditions once the feedback cycle for global cooling happens. It could take as little as 3 years to flip over to another ice age if the conditions are right. Tropical areas would still stay tropical but Europe and North America would change dramatically.

Try reading up on the following topics.

Earth's progression cycle orbiting the sun.
The ocean conveyor belt.
Vostok ice core.

I'm unsure as to how cold it would get in North Africa during an ice age. I doubt it would have any glacial conditions but it could most certainty be colder there in the Winter.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

A Christmas Miracle, and right on Schedule!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

We just aren't smart enough to be able to comprehend their calendar properly yet. Give us another hundred years. Maybe if we got rid of technology we might figure it out better.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Intergalactic fire, if it is, this could get very interesting.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Must be Globull Warming.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Interesting share
wouldn't doubt at times in the past of that region being snow capped somewhat.

When time lensing- it seems possible that part of that region was once below sea level?

The excess in rivers and probable rivers patterns seem to signify part of that land covers a depression or area less structurally sound then the region around it, as if at times saturated with liquid or snow, which then lowered the area somewhat.

Remotely viewing it looks like a sponge below surface, some hollowed areas filled with compressed sediment / sand. Some areas open for liquid flows? And still pockets of atmospheric gas or other gases maybe connected to vents further leading down.
Not sure of exact depth.

If only the technology to basically scan planet sub-surfaces was present? You could aim at moon-planet-star and see the interior layouts more accurately

Just some things considered why exploring...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

50.000 years ago, just a snip of time and in geological term's only just happened England were I am was Savannah with african lion's, wilder beast, giraffe, hippo's, hyena's, indeed all the fauna of the African Savannah living and roaming the land.

Then you have the little ice age, like the ice age which supposedly ended about 10 to 12 k years ago but much more recent and not as severe.
www.britannica.com...
Glaciers expanded, the viking colony's on the formerly habitable and thriving Greenland were crop's had been grown died off painfully and slowly as the last generation were stunted short and sickly then the glaciers rolled over there stone church's and building's grinding them to the earth leaving barely a trace of what had once been just a few hundred years earlier, the Canal's of Venice froze solid.

Indeed some make a valid claim that we are actually still coming out of this mini ice age, back in the 1850's the Thames river would and had frozen solid every single year for hundred's of year's and they used to hold a winter fair there every years smack bang in the middle of the river on the ice but since that time the Thames has seldom frozen and never enough to hold a winter fair.

Makes you wonder if they had proper snow in the Sahara at that time.

Great and thought provoking images.

Go back about 4 million years and the Sahara was river's, grassland's and african forest.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Two years in a row now it's snowed there.

www.express.co.uk...

PUBLISHED: 12:06, Mon, Jan 8, 2018 | UPDATED: 12:28, Mon, Jan 8, 2018

More than 15 inches (40cm) has blanketed sand dunes across the small town of Ain Sefra, Algeria.

It is the second time snow has hit in nearly 40 years, with a dusting also recorded in December 2016.

But this snowfall which hit yesterday, is much deeper than the fleeting shower little more than a year ago.

new topics

top topics

join