It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn’t Diverse, It Won’t Be Eligible for a BAFTA Award

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

Not many big movie awards in Africa, bru.

P.s. This has been happening in South Africa for ages in every industry, sport and aspect of our lives. Being white I am instantly considered a "blood sucking colonialist pig who should **** off back to Europe". And yes, I have been told that on several occasions from my fellow countrymen.
edit on 21-12-2016 by Saibotkram1988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
How hell are we to make fake documentaries like Spielberg's big break "Last Days" now?!

Least won't have watch another #ty b class nazi zombie movie, or culture rich European film like "Troll". Who wants see European culture before 1950s? I mean, can always just make King James a Muslim, it won't offend anyone. All that belongs to non whites anyway.

Sorry if this is offensive to anyone, equal rights say we must all take offence equal to preserve equality.

I do have question... so as long as we have a gay Gaffer, we're good...right?

I guess Aryan Brotherhood Films is doomed!! Oh no!

I always thought a movie about England being ran by Muslims would entertaining. Make movie about Sista Marget Thatcher, queen of the blacks.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
oh the horror!!!

imagine a samurai lead played by someone of Asian descent.
oh the humanity.

nice paraphrased title too. that is "grait bait".
skankhunt42 approves.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

how would one introduce " diversity " to a epic biopic of robert falcon scotts doomed last polar expedition

Ensure more black penguin screen shots than polar bears?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I suppose a diverse remake of Zulu would take the shape of a mass of red coated white soldiers with rifles charging in human waves at a group of black welsh warriors defending a mission station with nothing more than spears, while singing Men of Harlech gospel style.

Damn it, now I want to see that remake

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I think movies should be about who is the most talented, regardless of color.

blasphemer !!!!

credit based on merit...you must be out of your mind.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

I suppose a diverse remake of Zulu would take the shape of a mass of red coated white soldiers with rifles charging in human waves at a group of black welsh warriors defending a mission station with nothing more than spears, while singing Men of Harlech gospel style.

Damn it, now I want to see that remake

Chris Tucker can play Bromhead and Denzel Washington can play Chard, "don't you be firing dat rifle at me white boy"

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

in 1912 - the polar bear polulation of antarctica was precisely ZERO

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The only problem is, the British Soldiers where not Welsh.

They where in fact English, from The 2nd Warwickshire Regiment ( 24th Regiment Of Foot )

The producer of " Zulu " was Stanley Baker who being a Welshman wanted The Welsh to be portrayed as the heroes.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It's great to see ATS becoming more and more like GLP everyday.
The comments are completely hilarious.
The fear of diversity has some of you thinking it's an attack on the white man.
LMAO...

Seriously mods - where is the darn GLP Icon?
This could have been a happy story about how an award is trying
to open it's doors and broaden it's scope in terms
of culture and representation of human diversity.
Instead we have angry people that feel they're being targeted
for extinction...
Some of you really need to get a grip...

I'm sure viking movies will be all white..Don't worry Stormfronters..

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

The only problem is, the British Soldiers where not Welsh.

They where in fact English, from The 2nd Warwickshire Regiment ( 24th Regiment Of Foot )

The producer of " Zulu " was Stanley Baker who being a Welshman wanted The Welsh to be portrayed as the heroes.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Quite true. The Warwickshire Light Infantry was not a specifically Welsh regiment but like all British Army Regiments it had its proportion of soldiers recruited from wales. But you cannot allow the truth to get in the way of diversity.
edit on 21-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

It'll be the death of any true creativity to enforce an expected framework onto a storyline.

And the winner is.....

A two hour McDonalds commercial!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

TV & Film in the UK is definitely way behind the USA when it comes to diversity in the industry!

I've lived here 40 odd years so know what i'm talking about. I've even applied for many jobs and not had a look in when it comes to Casting.

I'm British Mixed Race and tanned skin.

Having said this, I think this year I just started to see some changes... at least towards the end of the year. 2017 is one to look forward to.

And yes I have seen 'Game Of Thrones' which is actually one of the most diverse series ever to come out from these shores.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Artist that make movies will still do what they want for their vision, and if they are true artist ,they won't care about that award.
And if enough people believe in their work and stick to what they want to make those aawards will go away or just be for the sellouts that will change the way they create . And then we end up with only approved movies and films, probably music at some point.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I agree, The Blasphemer!

edit on 21-12-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
What's BAFTA and why should I care?

BAFTA?! Never even meta!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saibotkram1988
a reply to: JesusXst

Not many big movie awards in Africa, bru.

P.s. This has been happening in South Africa for ages in every industry, sport and aspect of our lives. Being white I am instantly considered a "blood sucking colonialist pig who should **** off back to Europe". And yes, I have been told that on several occasions from my fellow countrymen.

True that. Ok.

P.S. I know. I also know Africans have more rights in America than they do in their own Country. Could be the Rulers of their own shores need to Change or stfu. I'm white, and i've never been called a derogatory name for being AngloSaxon.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

I'm not surprised at all to be honest and this has nothing to do with being British or anything. We're reaching the era of history where being white means you're bad. Being someone who is white will get you seen a horrible disgusting vile person who coursed all the worlds harm. I wish and this is from my heart, that people would get off this train of thinking, so you had slave ancestors well I didn't have any freaking slaves, my parents and grand parents didn't have slaves so we had nothing to do with your ancestors problems and neither did most modern white people who aren't rolling in cash. The funniest fact is that for decades non-white people have been demanding to be treated equal and not attacked on the base of their skin colour and yet now that's there go to thing.

The issue isn't about what white people did in the past. It's about what they do now. There's subconscious racism. Do nothing about it makes you complicit in the institutional and unintentional racism.

Read and learn:

www.cbsnews.com - 'Black' Names A Resume Burden?...
venturebeat.com - Sellers of color: This Craigslist experiment reveals America's latent racism...
papers.ssrn.com - The Visible Hand: Race and Online Market Outcomes...
www.theguardian.com - 'Black judge effect': study of overturning rates questions if justice is really blind...
www.pbs.org - From Both Sides Of The Bench - Is The System Race Biased?...

. . . . I believe, absolutely, that what you have described exists in the system. The statistics prove it--they're there. What is hard is that if you go up to your average juvenile court judge, and that judge is the one who sends these kids off--we're the ones ultimately responsible for these statistics--that judge will look you dead in the eye and say, "I'm not unfair, I'm not racist, I'm not prejudiced. I do the best I can." And that judge is telling you the truth. . . .

But what is at play here in most cases? I'm not saying there aren't those judges who are so prejudiced and so racist; there are those. But I think, in the main, most are not. But I think what happens is that stereotypes are so embedded in the psyche of human beings, that those stereotypes come to play....

edit on 12/21/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

I'd love to see them try to pull that off in non white nations like Africa. Not gonna happen.

I'd love to see them remake an epic version of the Mongolians storming the Chinese at the Great Wall and have to try to diversify that!

I wonder how justify the whites and blacks they have to cast in order to be considered for the awards?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

OK, so in your worldview, if I am a scriptwriter and I write a script that doesn't include roles for diverse races, I am "racist?"

What if I am writing a period piece that historically didn't really have much room for roles from other ethnic groups without some real shoehorning of the obvious sort to please the PC police?

Maybe people who write stories ought to simply be allowed to do that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join