It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seasonal wild game catering with book and recipe suggestions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
That looks amazing!!! My girl is from Alabama and her dad has lived in Houma for 25 years. I am in love with Louisiana fare!!!! Personal Recipes please!!!

Too funny. When we went to New Orleans we took at side trip to Houma's House Plantation.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I take the tougher cuts of meat from the front and hind legs of a deer and cube them up into chunks about an inch and a half square. I simmer them in water with salt and black pepper until they are tender, then drain them.
Then I roll the chunks in flour and brown them in lard in a skillet.
If you have never tried it, it really is good eating.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm a big fan of D'Artagnan. They sell Texas Ferrell caught wild boar. It's such good quality. I've made pâté and a roast using that boar. So good.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

That's awesome. How's the taste 20 minutes after it was shot compared to the next day?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Have you ever slow braised larger leg portions to maximize tenderness? I would think a red wine braise with tomatoes sorta like lamb shank would be great.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Choose a critter or a dish and I'll send you a family recipe. Doesn't matter what you choose, I'll certainly oblige. Please be patient though, my kids are out of school now and we are in the field most days.
edit on 21-12-2016 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

Have a good squirrel or pigeon recipe?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I like to breast pigeons, soak in a simple brine, refrigerated, for a few hours, grill for 30-45 seconds on each side over 500* heat, with a splash of Worcestershire or tamari. Voila!
edit on 26-12-2016 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Squirrels, one of my favorite.
I will not get too specific in regards to techniques and specific types of products.
3-4 squirrels depending on size:
Brown squirrels in heavy pot, remove, add carrot onion, celery, garlic, fresh herbs if desired, and bayleaves, salt, peppercorns,
Sauté till softened, add fresh cold water. Bringvto a boil,
Debone squirrels, refrigerate meat, add carcasses to water, boil for 1 hour. Drain for stock. You want this to be stock NOT broth. When stock is refrigerated over night it will be closer to the consistency of jello than water.

Make dark roux with butter and flour, about 3/4-1c, (color and consistency of peanut butter)
Add small diced equal amounts 1 yellow onion, celery, bell pepper, and 4-6 toes garlic minced. . Stir continuously for couple minutes while veggies cool the roux and are coated. Add quart of the stock, bring to a slight boil, then drop to hard simmer,add can of tomato paste. Continually stir for 20 minutes, this keeps roux and paste from sticking and burning, during this time add salt pepper,a couple bay leaves and a few roasted jalapeños (1 per squirrel) (stemmed, skinned, seeded) diced fine, and a teaspoon of cayenne. Add more stock to gain correct consistency. Add the squirrel meat and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve over white rice.
Is called sauce picant, good for squirrels, rabbits, teal, etc.
edit on 26-12-2016 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Also, the book I mentioned previously is the old school original from Chef Folse. He has a more recent one that I own that has even more information. It is encyclopedia like. Lots of stories, pictures and history. And his recipes and techniques have been refined. HOOKS, LIES & ALIBIS is the title.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join