It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A ruler will be born in Bethlehem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
“But you, O Bethlehem Ephratah, who are little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel”. Micah ch5 v2

This prophecy is quoted in Matthew as the clue which points the wise men towards the place where Jesus has been born.
But the verse was originally part of a more extended prophecy, addressed by Micah to the people of his own time.
The message of the full prophecy was full of encouragement for these people, and it might be useful to draw it out and complete Matthew’s intended meaning.

The context in Micah is a reflection on the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians, which begins in the previous chapter.
“Now many nations are assembled against you, saying ‘Let her be profaned, and let our eyes feast upon Zion’” (ch4 v11)
“Now you are walled about with a wall; siege is laid against us.”
Then the city falls, and the king is humiliated;
“With a rod they strike upon the cheek of the ruler of Israel” (ch5 v1).

Therefore the city is in misery;
“Now why do you cry aloud? Is there no king in you?...
Writhe and groan, O daughter of Zion, like a woman in travail;
For now you shall go forth from the city and dwell in the open country” (ch4 vv9-10)
Jeremiah uses the same image in the same situation;
“For I heard a cry as of a woman in travail, anguish as of one bringing forth her first child” (Jeremiah ch4 v31).
In Jeremiah, “the woman in travail” is a way of describing the people’s pain, and that’s the first meaning in Micah.

But then the language begins turning to thoughts of hope;
“You shall go to Babylon. There you shall be rescued, there the Lord will redeem you from the hand of your enemies” (ch4 v10).
This points towards the return from exile.
(The ambiguous phrase in the AV is “There shall you be delivered”, which gives the impression that the baby will be born in Babylon)

The low point for the kingdom was the moment when the ruler of Israel was struck on the cheek.
The verse quoted by Matthew (ch5 v2) introduces the contrasting figure of a new and stronger ruler.
He will come out of Bethlehem, which was David’s birthplace. This implies the restoration of the kingdom.
At the same time, his origin “is from of old, from ancient days”.
For Micah, this would have to mean that he is God or from God.
Then there shall be a return from exile;
“The rest of his brethren shall return to the people of Israel” (v3).

A gloss in the first part of v3 explains that God will give up his people only until the time “when she who is in travail has brought forth”.
It isn’t clear whether this refers to the literal birth of the ruler, or to the metaphorical birth of “redemption for the exiles”.

Finally, Micah exalts the reign of the new ruler.
“And he shall stand and feed his flock in the strength of the Lord, in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God.
And they shall dwell secure, for now he shall be great to the ends of the earth” (v4).

Obviously Matthew’s first interest is in the birth in Bethlehem and the association with David.
But we might also look to the overtones which can be found in the rest of the prophecy.

The misery;
“God’s people are in exile”.
The immediate compatriots of Jesus had not been taken away from the land.
However, they were self-exiled from their God, because of their disobedience.

“God’s people are suffering”.
For the Jews of the time of Jesus, Roman authority was the source of oppression which had succeeded the Babylonians.
But the New Testament is concerned with a much more fundamental oppression, that whole complex of sin-and-death which goes back to the beginning of Genesis.

“Their king will experience humiliation”.
When Jesus has been arrested, he will be struck in the face in front of the Sanhedrin, and the Roman soldiers will strike him again while mocking him as “King of the Jews”.

The hope;
“The kingdom will be restored”.
And of course “the Kingdom of God”, or “the Kingdom of Heaven” was the running theme of the gospel teaching.

“God’s people will return from exile”.
It would be the mission of Jesus to bring them back to God.
Thus he described himself as a shepherd looking for lost sheep.
Ultimately, the effect of his work would also bring in the Gentiles, “sheep not of this fold”.

“There will be a new king with power”.
For the New Testament, Christ is already “standing and feeding his flock in the strength of the Lord”, and the power of his kingdom already reaches “to the ends of the earth”.

But we are obliged to wait until the return of Christ, before it is fully true that he and his flock will “stand secure”.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I had a dream were was told and I quote word for word

"You are a producer of men. A leader of men. Judah's Son... You are Judah's son. That was 5 years ago. I woke up on the verge of tears.

Gues where I live? City of Bethlehem. Hey, it might be me ;-)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FelisOrion
Matthew thinks it was fulfilled two thousand years ago.
You are a little late.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
So it's suggesting the promise for a happy life is not immediate, that Gods kingdom won't be immediate, that we should accept suffering and sorrow as a given, until Christs return

Though we do have a form of Christs kingdom now on earth in our salvation, it's not completed?

It seems awfully confusing

It's interesting to see how the bible clashes with what we hear from so many evangelists and how they proclaim instant gratification

It's almost like they see God as a big gold Buddha and if we rub his belly we get a jackpot payout, but I digress
Thanks

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Though we do have a form of Christs kingdom now on earth in our salvation, it's not completed?

Yes, that is why we are told to pray "Thy kingdom come".

It's almost like they see God as a big gold Buddha and if we rub his belly we get a jackpot payout, but I digress

This is partly because the Old Testament promises wealth, which they understand in material terms instead of spiritual terms. There is a "veil" over the scriptures, as Paul says, which the Spirit has to take away.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FelisOrion

That was beautiful man, really.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It would be beneficial if people thought that Jesus was going to be reborn in Bethlehem or even in Israel. Then the evil people would be looking for someone born there to kill. The Messiah is going to be born anywhere he is going to be born, we cannot choose who he is. That is God's job, he will not let them kill the new Messiah, that is not in the plan this time.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

He isn't going to be born again. He will return the way he left, descend as he ascended. His birth was 2,000 years ago at the first advent.

Thing is that the Jews still think he has yet to be born.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It would be beneficial if people thought that Jesus was going to be reborn in Bethlehem or even in Israel. Then the evil people would be looking for someone born there to kill. The Messiah is going to be born anywhere he is going to be born, we cannot choose who he is. That is God's job, he will not let them kill the new Messiah, that is not in the plan this time.

As Kets said, Jesus is already with God in heaven, he will just return to earth again, this time with the army of saints

Jude 1:14-15 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him."

Revelation 1:7-8 Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega”, says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”

This time to bring rest and peace to His people and His creation

The main reason why Christians spread the gospel, not because we like to be annoying, because we dont want anyone to miss out

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It's interesting this business about an earthly Kingdom. It seems to starts from the time of Judged when the Israelites demanded a King from Samuel, going against Gods existing provision.

The true intended Kingdom of God got corrupted by the practice of an earthly kingdom, giving rise to an idealistic and incorrect expectation of the true messiah, the true king of the Jews.

So God sends Jesus but his humble arival was missed by the religious leaders, expecting something more in line with what they have come to expect from an earthly ruler. They had drifted from their first love, from their times of trust and hope in Gods provision alone.

They may have lost their faith but God never gave up. His plan for salvation would come to fruition. How wonderful and in the character of God to allow the meek and the mild to be the ones who were first to welcome the new King.

edit on 21-12-2016 by Observationalist because: Broke up wall of text

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

When did I say I was Jesus? I said I was Judah's Son. Son of Judah can be interpreted as a descendant of the tribe of Judah, and it does not necessarily mean JESUS. Perhaps I am of the bloodline of Jesus? Not him, but part of his bloodline.

Either way, I don't care. I shared the dream because I got tired of hiding it. The dream was one of the only 'viison' like dreams I have ever had in my life and it seemed like the appropriate time to share.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist
Yes, that is part of what Paul means when he says that the Jews read the scriptures through a veil, provided by Moses, "but when a man turns to the Lord the veil is removed" (2 Corinthians ch3 vv15-16).
I fear the same applies to the Christian Zionists, who insist on looking to the modern state of Israel for their "restoration of Israel". That is scripture still being read through the literalist veil.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
quote]
“There will be a new king with power”. For the New Testament, Christ is already “standing and feeding his flock in the strength of the Lord”, and the power of his kingdom already reaches “to the ends of the earth”.

Well taught DISRAELI and Merry Christmas to you and all who are like minded.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede
Thank you, and to you likewise.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You just made my Christmas brother.
Awesome!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think Jesus will come the same way he came the first time. As a man. I also believe the only ones saved now are those dead in Christ and written in that book. I think I know how to tell who is written in that book as well. He did say he would go to prepare a place, come back, and take them to His Father's mansion with many rooms. Everyone else will then have the choice but they will have to squeeze through a sort of gate. But I do believe Jesus is coming back to save then. Nobody is saved now except the elect.
The Dead in Christ.. They are alive now and are already being birthed. They have been lately experiencing bouts of feeling very loved but don't know why yet. They are scattered and while there are many Christians among them most are not because a strangers voice they don't follow. They only know a Loving God, not the counterfeit the majority of Christians follow. They absolutely don't believe in everlasting torment for example. They were actually born with a simple faith and may feel predestined. Through many lives they have passed through that gate and have gone in and out many times but they know the masters voice. Somewhere along the line they followed the teachings of Jesus and overcame.
This spiritual phenomena of feeling Loved lately is happening everywhere. I personally know several and most aren't Christian at all. The HS or whatever you want to call it is being poured out now in measures but will soon be poured out without measure. That's where the true church is.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JerryMH
I think Jesus will come the same way he came the first time.

He will come the same way that he left the first time. Acts ch1 v11
He will come with all the majesty of God, "with power and great glory", immediately visible and recognisable to the whole of the world. Matthew ch24 vv27-30

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
How he left is debatable but with modern day technology you don't have to take that verse literally for it to be true. But if you really think he's coming swinging that sword then Jesus isn't coming to save and the vast majority thrown into your Lake of Fire.. ugh no.
Closer to the truth is that he's coming as the Maitreya.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JerryMH
The metaphorical sword is needed to save the just from the persecution of the unjust.
There is no conflict between judgement and salvation; they are two aspects of the same thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You're right that there's no conflict between judging and saving but the judgement won't be exactly like that.
It will be on earth as in heaven. Which literally means Heaven will be or actually is here on this earth. But before that can happen the house has to be swept clean. What that means is everyone will have intimacy with the Father and come into the same mansion but a new heart with a lot less ego and hatred. People been blaming Satan for all kinds of crap but the problem is largely us. Money and greed are the root of it. Those will be judged. The rape of the earth and the oppression and slavery will be judged too. But we're all in the same boat. We all need new hearts. Intimacy will change everyone that wants it.
But he's not coming to destroy the lost. The heart is still looking to restore every lost sheep he can find and finally really fulfil all those promises he made.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join