It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook plans to give Snopes.com staff behind the scenes access to user profiles

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
If true, this is the dumbest thing I've heard FB do.

"If true..."

That would mean that for some reason, a site with almost no staff (Snopes) is being given to a company with a 15,724 employees as of September 30, 2016 (Facebook.)

...in spite of the fact that Facebook
* has human editors already in place?
* has its own security and IT staff?
* and the researchers at Snopes are volunteers?

Really?

...besides, the articles linked inside that op-ed say nothing of the sort.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Maybe we should double check everything. Triple check, even. Consider the source carefully and actually read it's contents. In my searches, I found nothing in regards to an anonymous tip as stated in the article posted by the OP.

However, Snopes had this to say about the subject on Dec. 15th-- 5 days ago;

On 15 December 2016, Facebook announced a new initiative aimed at confronting the increasing volume of misinformation online by enhancing users' ability to report questionable posts and providing a mechanism by which their accuracy can be evaluated by third-party fact checkers and flagged where appropriate as "disputed," so that social media users can learn more and make informed choices before sharing them. We have agreed to participate in this experiment alongside other well-regarded fact checking sites.

Link to Article

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Your link barely loads for all the ads, plus 'unnamed Facebook source' leads me to suspect this is garbage.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
DailMail(Fail) put out an article on it:

As mentioned in an above reply this is from 5 days ago, Dec.15th.

Poynter Institute's International Fact-Checking Network includes ABC News, The Associated Press, FactCheck.org, Politifact and Snopes

They shouldn't use any partisan leaning sources in which some of those are.

Facebook will use fact-checkers to crack down on false stories after accusations it allowed the spread of 'fake news' to swing the election
Source - Daily Mail
They are using the above fact-checking media sources. Good luck with that.

Here is what the article claims will happen to the flagged news by these media agencies:

'If the fact checking organizations identify a story as fake, it will get flagged as disputed and there will be a link to the corresponding article explaining why.'

Facebook will not go as far as to ban users from posting any 'fake' news, but each new posting will carry the warning that the story's authenticity has been disputed.

Source - Daily Mail
edit on 20-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: ETA

edit on 20-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill
DELETE FACEBOOK........PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Sheesh people....

Well thats a problem solved for the person that deletes it to an extent, but not to the society that is manipulated that he/she lives in.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
The question is, why are these big media platforms suddenly so obsessed with controlling the narrative and filtering information to it's users? It's Orwellian as #.

Its obvious why the sudden orwellian upsurge... Its Pizzagate. They tried banning it, so people are figuring out sneaky ways to pass along the information. Facebook is a lot bigger than, say, ATS, so, they are having to devise some sort of sophisticated algorithm to detect if people are talking about the "no-no" topic. When they talk about removing posts that are "false". False is just code for "pizzagate"... Sure, other items will be swept up as false as well, so thst it will be harder to prove that what they are really targeting is... Pizzagate.

Thats of course, IF this is a real whistleblower and they are actually telling the truth... Of course it wouldn't surprise me. The whole snopes thing is just too crazy to make up.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I use fb for contacts but I'm thinking of leaving after reading this thread!

i do not want some Government Agency/Organisation to have unlimited access to my account to change whatever they want to change and snoop on my messages & posts! That's going too far.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

And mutiple other sources like zero hedge, infowars, breitbart, etc etc have also been debunked on this board alone too.

Time to deactivate them too! Or do they get a free pass for being wrong, while snopes don't?

If so, who has an agenda here???

Nobody is using Infowars as an official fact checker to determine fake news for an entire social media company.

Pretty big difference, no?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I use fb for contacts but I'm thinking of leaving after reading this thread!

i do not want some Government Agency/Organisation to have unlimited access to my account to change whatever they want to change and snoop on my messages & posts! That's going too far.

I agree that there is a lot of stupid stuff put out there on the WWW. Some sites like "The Onion", plays off of the craziness well. Sometimes too well. Growing up with MAD Magazine, and late night talk shows, I learned that you have to take anything you read or hear with a grain of salt.

I don't need the government, MSM, or anyone that has an agenda, force feeding me a bunch of cow poo and labeling it chocolate candy. I am quite capable of determining what is fake and what isn't. Can I be fooled? Of course I can, but let me be a fool of my own making.

Even I know that no matter how authentic that Gucci purse looks, even if I am buying it from an upscale shop for $5.00 than it is either a fake or being dumped on me for some reason, and not likely a very good one for me.

Facebook is nothing but a tool. I joined to keep an eye on my children. I kept the account to keep in contact with family and friends. I choose to no longer be used. There are much better ways to keep in contact with my family and friends, without being mass tracked, labeled, tagged, and used.

I deactivated my account with Facebook and was surprised at the number of others that have also deleted their accounts. Admittedly, none of the others I informed of my deletion had deleted for the same reason. They mostly deleted because they said they were tired of the nasty, negative comments and posts that people were sending. They said it was impacting how they felt about people, even though they knew that it was garbage, being slung by a few that had an agenda and that it was false. So they just deleted their accounts and returned to the real world.

I think this move is going to backfire on the government and on Facebook. The average sane person, will see their ploy for what it is and will unplug and regain control of their mind and their lives. I think they went too far too fast. Flushing the evidence doesn't do a lot in fostering trust and credibility, when toilet paper is hanging off their shoes along with the smell trailing behind them.
edit on 21-12-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Are you f#cking kidding me?!?

I've been using that phrase so much lately that I believe an acronym is now in order. Maybe even necessary. So...

AYFKM?!?

Great OP! S & F and Merry Christmas mon ami...

edit on 12/21/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join