It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My one and only paranormal event in my life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I stumbled across this board after getting interested in EVP from the movie White Noise. In the last week or so I have spent a lot of time reading so much info here on so many fun topics. Enough about me here is the story.

It was about 8 years ago and I had just graduated from IU. My sister and I rented a house in "old Louisville" KY. Needless to say it was a very old house, probably built in the mid 1800's.

I never have believed for one second that ghosts exist. I come from an athiest family. To believe in God, ghosts or anything to do with the after life just doesn't happen in my family. Not that were bad people, but that after life stuff is for the uneducatied (or so I was raised).

As soon as we moved in little things started happening. First I have a small sculpter made of some metal of a lady holding a cresent moon above her head. One morning I came downstairs and part of the metal moon was just broken off and missing. I attributed it at the time to my sister or one of her friends doing it and not admiting up to it.

I guess I should tell you ofcourse there were all kinds of funky sounds too. Footsteps on the staircase. Footsteps on the upstairs hallway. All the noise seemed to come from upstairs.

Next about 2-3 days after the sculpter breaking, I was again walking down the stairs and there was a landing midway with a large stain glass window. Right in the middle of the window a piece was missing in the shape of the cresent moon. Not a match to the sculpter, but definatly a cresent moon non the less. The house next door was all of about 12 inches away from our house so in my mind I couldn't tell how this could have been done from the outside.

That night my sister and her alternative (for lack of a better word) friend and myself were talking about the two incidents and creepy sounds. ( She is 4 years younger than me and I loved messing with her and trying to scare her). I start going on and on about how the house must be haunted and trying to guess how many ppl could have died in the house since it was built. Well my sisters friend startes walking around saying B/S that she can feel a presence. She then starts to follow the prresence she feels upstairs. Her and my sister go upstairs and come back down a few minutes later. My sisters friend starts going on and on about how my bedroom had really bad spirits in it, and I should avoid the room. As she is saying this the thing that holds the fireplace equipment (poker, broom, etc) falls over and we all kind of jumped. I ofcourse start laughing as they freak out.

Now about 2-3 days after that (we have now been living in the house 2 weeks) my sister is in the kitchen making dinner for herself. We again start talking about what has been going on. I say " Ashley the only reason I can think of for everything that has happened is the house is that its haunted". As I am finishing the statement, right in the middle of the last word, two cabinets above the counter top fly open and dishes come flying out onto the floor. My sister just screams and runs across the room and jumps into my arms. I must have stood there holding her and staring at those cabinets for 30 seconds.

For hours that night I kept trying to fill the cabinets with the wooden bowls, tuppaware, and crap that was in them and trying to recreate how they could fall out naturaly. There was just no way to do it without having the cabinet doors stuck open about 4-8 inches so they could fall out. Even then if they fell they landed on the cabinet and not the floor.

The next day we started asking neighbors if they knew anything about the house. Well we found out a big one. About one month prior to us moving in the man that lived there died in his bed in his sleep. Didn't ever find out much more than that. Thats all we needed to know. We weren't going to be like those ppl in horror movies and stick around to have more bad stuff happen. We didn't spend another night there and promptly moved out.

I still drive by that house and every time I do I think about all of this like it just happened yesterday. I would like to stop by the house and talk to whoever is living there and see what they have to say.

My sister withen a couple of years has gone back to not beliving in the after life. As time goes on I too have started to go back to my old ways of not believing in anything paranormal.

Not sure why I shared the story, I guess maybe I don't want to go back to not believing in ghosts and want to hear some stories from some of you.

Thanks for listing.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Could have been a cloaked extraterrestrial performing an experiment to see if you'd notice its anomalous activity. Aliens don't have to be spiritual either, so being an atheist still works out with an ET explanation.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Atheism is not a product of education but of intelligence. I'm not a highly educated person but can see the ignorance of religion and that it does take a certain degree of intelligence to reject the norm. Sorry, but I read your first paragraph and had to comment on that part.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
EASTER "bunny"

I'm glad to know you're HIGHLY or "High" educated.
I didn't know a military man, WHO SAW action, and didn't believe in SOMETHING.

I'm glad you REJECT the norm! LOL

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourth horseman
EASTER "bunny"

I'm glad to know you're HIGHLY or "High" educated.
I didn't know a military man, WHO SAW action, and didn't believe in SOMETHING.

I'm glad you REJECT the norm! LOL

Cynical. I've never seen action only reaction, and appreciate your kind comments. Congrats to you for being so upbeat. Soon I will be protecting you in the AF, does that make you happy? Are you still upbeat? Cause I mean, my "high" education will be protecting you and I hope it pays off. What if there is more of my types protecting you, what then? Will you still be upbeat?

[edit on 27-1-2005 by The Division Bell]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I remember one of my suitemates in college told me he was an atheist but he went into crisis mode about all of his beliefs after all the strange things he saw around me. I thought he was amusing. He apparently even remembered all kinds of strange little things such as the one time I said aloud on a clear sunny day " I wish it would rain." Then within one hour a thunderstorm popped up. I really think all those doubles I threw playing him backgammon made him think, there has got to be something paranormal going on here. Unless it was when he lost really bad playing a game of chess. He surprised me again by saying he was his highschool chess champion. I suppose intelligence and the belief in athiesm doesn't necessarily go together if your norm is different than other peoples norm.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ahh.. ORION

What do you know about him??

How do you play backgammon??? Throwing back some "doubles"?

Michael Johnson, the world record holder in both 200 meters and 400 meters, was not even the FASTEST kid in HIGHschool!!

That belonged to ROY MARTAIN, nicked name "ROBOT" Roy!

He was a cousin of Harvey Martian of the Great DOOMSDAY DEFENSE

Roy, still in high school, missed out on qualifying for the OLYMPICS, because he didn't lean. He never had to in high school.. He always finished first.

He also was a fan of the "LE BIG MAC" and he became fat and lazy. He took a scholarship to SMU, but grades kept him from running!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourth horseman
Ahh.. ORION

What do you know about him??

How do you play backgammon??? Throwing back some "doubles"?

Michael Johnson, the world record holder in both 200 meters and 400 meters, was not even the FASTEST kid in HIGHschool!!

That belonged to ROY MARTAIN, nicked name "ROBOT" Roy!

He was a cousin of Harvey Martian of the Great DOOMSDAY DEFENSE

Roy, still in high school, missed out on qualifying for the OLYMPICS, because he didn't lean. He never had to in high school.. He always finished first.

He also was a fan of the "LE BIG MAC" and he became fat and lazy. He took a scholarship to SMU, but grades kept him from running!

What does that have to do with the topic?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Michael Johnson end up going to Baylor!

Speaking of, anyone know what's happening to that basketball player who killed a friend. I think they are saying he faked his illness..

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I might just stay out of "old kentucky"

Tennessee Wiskey is much better!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Remember ...TRY THIS...

COME FLY WITH ME

"List drugs you take!"

Come on Easter Bunny HOP... HOP... HOP!

What do you call a Flock of RAVENS.......

I thought you could run???????????????????

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
That's a great story!! Maybe you should consider submitting it to the short story threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Trying to stay on the paranormal topic but answering a question at the same time I will say that I was merely giving some examples of what my atheist suitemate told me. I was getting very lucky throwing several doubles every game I played him especially when I needed them. Actually my good luck turned out to not be so great because I've had more than one person refuse to play games with me while I was that lucky. Some people might attribute luck to the paranormal especially if you're extremely lucky for several games. Of course if you don't believe anything out of the norm is possible without cheating then I can understand someone trying to rationalize some devious scheme on my part for achieving doubles. I've seen at least one person with consistent extreme bad luck too. It was like he always expected the dice to be really bad and they often were. Some might say that is paranormal while others would try to rationalize that away. I believe that's enough said on that subject.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Division Bell
Atheism is not a product of education but of intelligence. I'm not a highly educated person but can see the ignorance of religion and that it does take a certain degree of intelligence to reject the norm. Sorry, but I read your first paragraph and had to comment on that part.

You must be deluding yourself if you think that there's any correlation between being religious and atheist. Atheism is simply a belief system like any other. You can't prove there is no God, but you believe it. Because there is no hard evidence for the existence of God doesn't mean you can't believe in one. You either believe or you don't. Either way it's still a belief.

Religion can be mired in traditions and customs but throwing out everything related to it isn't intelligent at all, nor does it have anything to do with education.

I know plenty of educated people who believed in God, yet were highly educated and intelligent.

By the way, even Albert Einstein believed in God, even if it isn't a Judeo-Christian one.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
if there's anything I can help with in answering or directing questions regarding the afterlife, feel free to let me know.

new topics

top topics

join