It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Oakland officials hope curfew on probationers will help reduce crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The City of Oakland, California, has imposed a curfew for people on parole within the city limits. The curfew which requires parolees to remain in their homes from 10 PM to 6 am seven days a week. However, if work or an emergency dictates, the hours are waived. The plan is two years in the making according to Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown. This is one of the many responses the city has undertaken to combat its high homicide rate.

www.kesq.com
OAKLAND, Calif. Police in Oakland are hoping a curfew imposed on people on probation will help cut down on crime in the city.

As a condition of release from jail, probationers in Oakland are now required to stay in their homes between the hours of 10 p-m and 6 a-m seven days a week. The only exceptions are for work and emergencies.

Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown says 80 percent of homicides in the city involve felons who are on probation and parole, and 70 percent of homicides occur at night.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I for one see no problem in this and I wonder why it is not a statewide requirement. They are on parole and should be treated as such. Better to have them in their homes than allowing them to roam around where they could get into trouble etc. Not that they are 100% safe if you keep them home, but its better than nothing.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Certainly worth a try, an electronic tracking device would help to enforce it.

In the UK lately temporal curfews were used in some areas with success to solve general disorder caused by bored youngsters, hanging on the streets at night.

newswww.bbc.net.uk...

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I had not thought about electronic tracking, but having a system that could log someones whereabouts that is on parole would be a good enforcement tool.

new topics

join