It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California main reason for Clintons popular vote win

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This article really brought it home to me why we have and need the individual states to have the say in who wins the presidency per the electoral college

IBD

As we noted in this space earlier, while Clinton's overall margin looks large and impressive, it is due to Clinton's huge margin of victory in one state — California — where she got a whopping 4.3 million more votes than Trump.

But California is the exception that proves the true genius of the Electoral College — which was designed to prevent regional candidates from dominating national elections.

In recent years, California has been turning into what amounts to a one-party state. Between 2008 and 2016, the number of Californian's who registered as Democrats climbed by 1.1 million, while the number of registered Republicans dropped by almost 400,000.

What's more, many Republicans in the state had nobody to vote for in November.

If you take California out of the popular vote equation, then Trump wins the rest of the country by 1.4 million votes. And if California voted like every other Democratic state — where Clinton averaged 53.5% wins — Clinton and Trump end up in a virtual popular vote tie.

additional source NPR

Maybe it would be appropriate for Hillary to at least send a thank you note to California.

On a side note, I have watched politics for years but this year has been a true learning experience. Other than my opening statement, I learned how few americans are influenced by money, threats, celebrities, MSM or Russia.

+33 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
States like California are the reason the electoral vote exists.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I wouldn't put much stock in that article.

I wonder how many of those were illegal voters.

Considering California is a sanctuary state.

That's not to dismiss California is a blue state.

It's not called the Peoples Republic of for nothing.

+20 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
How are the secession talks going out there in Cal?
Are they getting close to really doing it?, is there any way I can help to speed up the process?
California - the capital of Liberal mental illness

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If we have to look into "Russia" hacking our election (which i don't believe for a second) I think we should look into figuring out how many Illegals voted for Hilary. Then while we're at it, we can look into finally getting all those dead ppl off the voter rolls. And while we're cleaning house, lets just cancel all those drivers licenses given to illegals to ensure they can't vote.

Grats to electoral college by the way for finalizing the win! GO Trump!

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The issue really is this. Under the current system, candidates run an election concentrating on Electoral College issues. If there were no Electoral College, the candidates would run considerably different campaigns. Generally speaking, the Electoral College forces candidates to campaign in MORE states than they otherwise would. This is because ANY state COULD be "THE" lynch-pin state, depending on circumstances. So candidates campaign in the Midwest and fly-over states because it makes a difference. The math says it does. Without the EC, the candidates could campaign on both coasts and leave out the vast majority of states.

But this also works the opposite. The entire west coast was written off by Trump. He knew he could never win California, Oregon, and Washington. So he did not campaign there or spend any money there. That doesn't mean if he had done so he wouldn't have persuaded some votes in his favor, but once again the math said it would be a waste of money, so he "allowed" California to amass it's millions of votes for Clinton. This would be true of ANY candidate in similar circumstances--not just Trump. Instead of "Trump" insert "any GOP candidate" here. So putting campaign money into Pennsylvania and Michigan made a lot more sense than putting the same amount of money into California. It was close in those two states and not close in California, so it was working "smart" instead of "hard." You can see the difference in how much money both campaigns spent. Trump ran a much leaner campaign in terms of both staff and expenses than Clinton.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That would certainly go for votes in Texas, NM, AZ as well all who have a large illegal population. It would also go to imply illegals are voting everywhere esp where voting laws are lax.

After obama told illegals that voting makes them a citizen, a group of 40 were arrested in some county in Ca.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I guess it's only a bad thing until you win, right?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
So glad we have the electoral college. If California could decide an election we would be living in a PC nightmare. I recently watched Tuckers Carlson's show on Fox News where he talks to a representative for Calexit (A few sore losers in California want to leave the Union), and i left feeling that we could be much better off without California.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
How are the secession talks going out there in Cal?
Are they getting close to really doing it?, is there any way I can help to speed up the process?
California - the capital of Liberal mental illness

I have never heard that California wants to secede. People form Texas and people in the Texas state government have said it many times, though.

In a recent poll, Trump voters stated that California shound't have been nor should be, in future, included in the popular vote. ATS

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LumenImagoDei

I guess it's only a bad thing until you win, right?

That is the general Trump voter stance. On many things.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
There is no national popular vote.

Period.

The popular vote takes place in each state. Those states then place electors based on the majority of voters for that state.

This whole popular vote BS is just another way for people to cry about their candidate not winning.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Does it matter that he was wrong then, just as others are wrong now about the electoral college?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

There is, but it counts for nothing.

Agreed.

Civics 101.

...and indeed it is.

link   

secession

secession 2

secession 3

secession 4

i say they should leave lol all the power to them lol

and just to add

faithless electors turn on Hilary

link   
California , Washington , and Oregon. But of course we knew beforehand how the "Left Coast" would vote.No surprise there . But , Trump did pick up 4 "faithless electors" from Washington State.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Does it matter that he was wrong then, just as others are wrong now about the electoral college?

Well he was a democrat supporter in the past too.
Was he wrong then or is he wrong now?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LumenImagoDei

Or when you finally understand the reason. Our US electors have been exceptional considering the pressure many were under.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I know there's a bunch of Trump supporters around here, but being the "Devils Advocate", have you every wondered if he was the Anti-Christ? Seriously have you checked out how many times 666 winds up associated with him? Check it out for yourself.

California, yeah go ahead and see if they let you secede. The south tried and was crushed.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
California , Washington , and Oregon. But of course we knew beforehand how the "Left Coast" would vote.No surprise there . But , Trump did pick up 4 "faithless electors" from Washington State.

Perhaps more accurately, Hillary lost 4 faithless electors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join