It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Lawmakers look to tax facelifts; the fabulous cry foul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Lawmakers in several states are mulling a "vanity tax" to place on elective cosmetic procedures. However, both plastic surgeons and their patients are calling the plan "ugly". The Washington state Senator who proposed the bill in her state wants the proceeds from the 6.5% sales tax to go to insuring poor children.

sfgate.com
Nip, tuck and ... tax?

Lawmakers trying to plump up the bottom line are considering a "vanity tax" on cosmetic surgery and Botox injections in Washington, Illinois and other states.

Plastic surgeons and their patients say the idea is just plain ugly.

"It makes no sense. Where does it stop -- massages, facials, teeth cleanings?" asked Karen Wakefield, 51, who has had a nose job, dermabrasion, liposuction, tummy tuck and breast lift -- plus a little Botox here and there.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I know what you are thinking, If California just slapped this tax on Michael Jackson and Liz Taylor, our financial woes would be a thing of the past. I have mixed feeling about this. If someone has the disposable income for this type of surgery, why would they threat about paying sales tax on it? On the other hand this could open the door to taxing other medical procedure and the like.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Not that I agree with cosmetic surgery for purely vain reasons but, even the people that pay for the procedures are using their own income, on wjhich they have already been taxed.
Why should they be taxed again. Dress it up as a noble cause... it's for the poor kiddeeeees....but like many other supposedly noble schemes it'd get skimmed for other purposes.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Let them pass it; it will backfire on them. It will merely result in more of the beautiful people going to L.A. to have their surgery anyway.

join