It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Podesta knew about the hacks and when he knew it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This story is about what John Podesta knew, and when he knew it.

According to Podesta in his most recent statement on NBC news dated December 18 2016, 10:04 am ET. NBC News

John Podesta, former chairman of Hillary Clinton's campaign, said Sunday that the FBI first contacted him about his hacked emails two days after WikiLeaks began publishing them — and that he has not heard from the FBI since.

Wikileaks started publishing the Podesta files on October 7 2016.

So according to Podesta he never even heard about the hacks until October 9 2016

This means that Podesta lied, because according to a news story put out by Yahoo news on July 28, 2016
Yahoo News

The FBI warned the Clinton campaign that it was a target of a cyberattack last March, just weeks before the Democratic National Committee discovered it had been penetrated by hackers it now believes were working for Russian intelligence, two sources who have been briefed on the matter told Yahoo News.

This is where the story gets a little sketchy.
Washington Post
According to the Washington Post the story of Hillary's private server came to light on March 27

So the F.B.I. notified the Clinton campaign that they had been hacked in March of 2016 around the same time that Hillary's private server story came to light.

That leaves me to speculate that as a result of the F.B.I.'s investigation into Hillary's private server they discovered that her campaign had been hacked. Which raises the question was it actually her private server that had been hacked?

According to the above posted story at Yahoo.

The FBI’s request to turn over internal computer logs and personal email information came at an awkward moment for the Clinton campaign, said the source, familiar with the campaign’s internal deliberations. At the time, the FBI was still actively and aggressively conducting a criminal investigation into whether Clinton had compromised national security secrets by sending classified emails through a private computer server in the basement of her home in Chappaqua, N.Y. There were already press reports, to date unconfirmed, that the investigation might have expanded to include dealings relating to the Clinton Foundation. Campaign officials had reason to fear that any production of campaign computer logs and personal email accounts could be used to further such a probe. At the Brooklyn meeting, FBI agents emphasized that the request for data was unrelated to the separate probe into Clinton’s email server. But after deliberating about the bureau’s request, and in light of the lack of details provided by the FBI and the absence of a subpoena, the Clinton campaign chose to turn down the bureau’s request, the source said.

Was the reason that the Clinton campagain turned down the F.B.I.'s request because it would further expose her private servers to scrutiny?

edit on 19-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Dec 19 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: changed from What Podesta knew and when he knew it. per OP request

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Enough of your Russian anti- Hillary Malarky COMRADE! Yeah tell PUTIN we said Hi!

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Diisenchanted

You're conflating a few different things. Principally, the DNC hacks and the Podesta email hack are different events. The Podesta emails came later and from Podesta's Gmail account.

Beyond that, Clinton's email server only factors in at all in the Podesta's Gmail mailbox had old emails to/from the clintonemail.com domain. The last Clinton email server jad been taken down way before any of this happened.

EDIT to add:

So the F.B.I. notified the Clinton campaign that they had been hacked in March of 2016 around the same time that Hillary's private server story came to light

The Hillary private email story really broke in the mainstream in March of 2015. It was known that she was using a private email domain at least as early as the Syndey Blumenthal email hack (2013) because emails to/from the domain were in the release.
edit on 2016-12-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

You're conflating a few different things. Principally, the DNC hacks and the Podesta email hack are different events. The Podesta emails came later and from Podesta's Gmail account.

I might actually agree with you on this because the dates do indicate a gap in time between the events but I cannot say they are mutually exclusive. In fact, they are still likely to be part and parcel. If the clinton server was compromised then its very likely a hacker would be able to create a 1:1 relationship between clinton and gmail user accounts. Gmail will notify a user if their account is accessed from an unknown device. Suppose Podesta's GMail was accessed from the clinton server -- that dummy stonetear is asked about it, hed probably say there is nothing to worry about.

Its very conceivable the hacks are related, but two distinct events indeed.

-d

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

It should also be noted that according to the L.A. Times story posted June 14, 2016, 3:55 PM. Link below

Hackers affiliated with the Russian government have been tapping into the files of the Democratic National Committee for nearly a year.

This is corroborated by a CNN story Updated 2:45 AM ET, Tue July 26, 2016
CNN News

Federal investigators tried to warn the Democratic National Committee about a potential intrusion in their computer network months before the party moved to try to fix the problem, U.S. officials briefed on the probe tell CNN.

The revelation raises questions about whether the DNC could have done more to limit the damage done by hackers suspected of working for Russian intelligence.

The DNC brought in consultants from the private security firm CrowdStrike in April. And by the time suspected Russian hackers were kicked out of the DNC network in June, the hackers had been inside for about a year.

So according to the F.B.I. investigation the hack started in June of 2015.

According to WikiPedia The 2016 presidential campaign of Donald Trump was formally launched on June 16, 2015

Right about the same time the hacking started.

Now then we get to the question of what information was accessed during the hack.

According to a story published by the L.A. Times June 14, 2016, 3:55 PM
L.A.Times

Hackers affiliated with the Russian government have been tapping into the files of the Democratic National Committee for nearly a year, targeting in particular the party’s opposition research about Donald Trump, officials say.

DNC officials said they did not believe any sensitive donor information was compromised. Instead, the hackers took aim at the thousands of pages of research DNC staffers compiled to use in attacking Trump during the presidential race.

In some respects, the files are a puzzling target: The most damning information was gathered for the express purpose of being made public. But security experts said that extensive files on a potential U.S. president would be the sort of information that foreign spy agencies would devote considerable resources to obtain.

“Donald Trump is probably not someone the foreign intelligence services had too much of a dossier on, unlike Clinton,” who has been in public life for decades, said Paulo Shakarian, a cybersecurity scholar at Arizona State University. “What better database to get for someone who wants to know his dirty secrets?”

So wait the hack went after dirt on Trump? This doesn't fit their narrative at all.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

According to another story published in the Washing Post June 14 2016.
Washington Post

The intruders so thoroughly compromised the DNC’s system that they also were able to read all email and chat traffic, said DNC officials and the security experts.

Also from the L.A. Times story:
L.A.Times

The break-in is a disturbing development for the DNC, which has already been struggling with its computer systems this election. In December, the contractor that maintains sensitive voter files for candidates experienced a software glitch that allowed staffers from the campaign of Bernie Sanders to view confidential material owned by the Clinton campaign. The Sanders campaign sued the DNC after the party locked it out of its system while it investigated.

This means that Seth Rich could have had access to confidential material owned by the Clinton campaign.There has been some speculation that Seth Rich was the whistle blower that gave Wikileaks the Podesta emails. Which is a strong posibility.

So they discovered a software glitch that exposed Hillary's campaign secrets to Bernie's staffers? Wouldn't they also be able to see who in Bernie's staff had actually accessed that information? Especially if they downloaded a copy of it?

It is common knowlegde that Seth Rich was involved in a lawsuit against the DNC. Was the information he had obtained through a software glitch? Did he hand over that same information to Wikileaks?.

According to Wikileaks: It was a DNC insider that dropped the Podesta files.

edit on 19-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: fixed

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diisenchanted

So wait the hack went after dirt on Trump? This doesn't fit their narrative at all.

Well done. Nice work.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

And finally you have all heard the story about Obama vows action against Russia for hacks.

From the L.A. Times story
L.A. Times

“Russia is doing exactly what we'd expect them to do: looking for information on the major candidates in preparation for dealing with either of them come next year,” he said.

So Obama wants to punish the Russians for doing what we would expect them to do?

Then from the Washington Post story
Washington Post

“It’s the job of every foreign intelligence service to collect intelligence against their adversaries,” said Shawn Henry, president of CrowdStrike, the cyber firm called in to handle the DNC breach and a former head of the FBI’s cyber division. He noted that it is extremely difficult for a civilian organization to protect itself from a skilled and determined state such as Russia.

Now it is not only what we would expect them to do, but now it is their job

And finally from the CNN story
CNN News

Typically, spy agencies collect such information to try to better inform their governments about U.S. politics. U.S. spy agencies do the same overseas.

So apparently we do the same things too. How hypocritical is that?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

In my second post I clarified that the hack actually started a full year before the Hillary campaign was notified.

So yes the hack started in early 2015

I hope that answers your question.

edit on 19-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: to add

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

The hack took place for over a year.

They could be one and the same

My head is a little foggy right now I've been going over this information since last night. So I'm going to take a break for a bit I will reply more later.

edit on 19-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: to add

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

It's kinda backward for the FBI to report a hack to the victim, isn't it?

It kinda means that they know more than just the story being told?

Because when someone used my debit card to sign-up for match.com, I'm the one who reported it to my bank, not the fbi.
edit on (12/19/1616 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

Exactly!

This story kinda scares me a bit.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

a reply to: loveguy

Exactly!

This story kinda scares me a bit.

Don't be scared.
When fear graduates to anger, it is within everyone's best interest to practice self-restraint.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

So in order for the hacking to have been done to help Trump. The hacker would have had to have known that Trump was going to win the nomination before he had declared his candidacy.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

So in order for the hacking to have been done to help Trump. The hacker would have had to have known that Trump was going to win the nomination before he had declared his candidacy.

Thats the bottom line
"Nuff Said"

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Well I'm outta here for the night. This thread didn't get near the attention I thought it would.

Oh well, peace out.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I personally don't believe the Russian hacking story.

I lean more toward the idea that Seth Rich accessed the material and that is the reason why he was killed. Cant have that information becoming public knowledge!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I personally don't believe the Russian hacking story.

I lean more toward the idea that Seth Rich accessed the material and that is the reason why he was killed. Cant have that information becoming public knowledge!

It's MORE than that. Seth being implicated in doing such a thing is exactly the reason his parents don't believe 'the conspircy theories.' (See their last press conference in November.)

So...the only people that could really apply pressure on investigators to look into a connection between Seth's job and his murder are TURNED OFF BY IT...because it implicates Seth in doing something illegal.

It sucks. Because motive via his job could be the catalyst for his murder. But Seth's parents are too certain he was 'above' doing anything like that OR they are too concerned with protecting his legacy to put pressure on investigators.

Therefore, even if Sethwas behind the leaks and that was the motive behind his murder...there will be no justice or investigation. Investigators seem to have ruled it out without even investigating, and his parents are fine with calling this a random murder without a thorough investigation.

edit on 21-12-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

If it was a software glitch that allowed the Sanders campaign to view the information on the Clinton campaign how is that illegal?

edit on 21-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: fixed

But I will check that out THX.
edit on 21-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

More people really should have read this thread!

edit on 4-1-2017 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

top topics

join