It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OFF THE CHARTS- The THOUSANDS of U.S. locales where lead poisoning is worse than in Flint, MI

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Off the Charts: The thousands of U.S. locales where lead poisoning is worse than in Flint

A Reuters examination of lead testing results across the country found almost 3,000 areas with poisoning rates far higher than in the tainted Michigan city. Yet many of these lead hotspots are receiving little attention or funding.

Last year, the city of Flint, Michigan, burst into the world spotlight after its children were exposed to lead in drinking water and some were poisoned. In the year after Flint switched to corrosive river water that leached lead from old pipes, 5 percent of the children screened there had high blood lead levels.

Flint is no aberration. In fact, it doesn’t even rank among the most dangerous lead hotspots in America.

In all, Reuters found nearly 3,000 areas with recently recorded lead poisoning rates at least double those in Flint during the peak of that city’s contamination crisis. And more than 1,100 of these communities had a rate of elevated blood tests at least four times higher.

Interactive map at the link.

This is just outrageous!

Throw in lead exposure coming from toys, paint, soil and canned goods, it is clear we have a significant problem on our hands. One thing I remember form a few years back was the following article:

Lead levels in canned fruits and juices pose no health risk - FDA

But nobody seems to be focused on cumulative impact from various sources.

I think this is truly a domestic crisis ignored.

See also:

Link Between Lead Exposure and ADHD Confirmed

Studies link childhood lead exposure, violent crime

Bolstering a Link Between Alzheimer's Disease and Lead Exposure

Amazing.

edit on 19-12-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
We have asbestos in our water supply here in South Texas.

In corpus christi they had a petroleum leak that went into the main water supply. There's roughly 300k without water right now. Locals can't do anything to clean the water. This effects 3x the amount of people living in flint. Not a word on us news.

corpus link
edit on 19-12-2016 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Who the #### has been president for the past 8 years?

Who the #### has been screaming about how evil anyone not "progressive" is concerning drinking water?

Obama's EPA, Obama's administration has been poisoning thousands and whiny little weasels praise his name about the environment.

This should shut them up.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Lead causes progressive dementia.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I keep saying drink distilled water...

distilled water myths

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The EPA has been poisoning people?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, and then he might take to Twitter to attack people for saying things about him he doesn't li... oh wait, never mind, that's a Trump thing.

Am I wrong?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: DBCowboy

The EPA has been poisoning people?

Ignorance of the problem isn't the same as ignoring the problem.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, and then he might take to Twitter to attack people for saying things about him he doesn't li... oh wait, never mind, that's a Trump thing.

Am I wrong?

no, you are correct. And tomorrow, when he tweets something else that triggers you, you can make a whole new thread.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

this is an infrastructure problem of EPIC proportions. The amount of money this will need to fix is astounding. I have been seeing new water pipes going in all over NC in the past years. Heads need to roll over something like this. Poor Flint isn't even a player with numbers like this.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

You could go on and on about what? Which of those show that "the EPA is poisoning" anyone? What they show is the EPA not being strict ENOUGH.

The cognitive dissonance among some of you is appalling. It borders on schizophrenia. The EPA during the Obama administration hasn't been tough enough (including in assessments of fracking) and so you blabber about how the EPA poisoned people

Meanwhile, you supported the guy who has been promising to neuter the EPA and to REMOVE regulations NOT make the TOUGHER.

The cognitive dissonance is appalling.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Sell your naked partisan BS to someone else.

My posting history on the EPA has been consistent throughout the Bush and Obama years.

It will be under Trump as well.

edit on 19-12-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

You're right!

This is all Trump's fault.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Who the #### has been president for the past 8 years?

Who the #### has been screaming about how evil anyone not "progressive" is concerning drinking water?

Obama's EPA, Obama's administration has been poisoning thousands and whiny little weasels praise his name about the environment.

This should shut them up.

Perhaps you should go back to the Reagan era where he put the burden of the infrastructure on the little guy and let the Bulls Run. Been crumbling ever since with no money for upkeep.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Lmao. I post about Donald Trump, the man who will be our President in a month and you? You post about me. Nobody is more triggered than you are by me which is why I can count on you being in that very thread making more unfunny, unoriginal quips.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Ahhh.

So it's Reagan's fault and it's Trump's fault.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I asked a very simple question of another poster and you jumped in with irrelevant links. The EPA isn't behind lead poisoning, are they? I'd imagine that in other areas, as with Flint, it has to do with lead pipes. Agreed?

Now can you please tell me how old lead pipes delivering water in municipal water systems is the EPA and the Obama Administration poisoning people?

Sell your naked partisan BS to someone else.

Ironic coming from you as you're trying to defend the irrational partisan twaddle that agrees with your politics.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You're right!

This is all Trump's fault.

Instead of inventing things that I didn't say, maybe you could defend your nonsensical statements?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join