It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russian ambassador to Turkey Shot and seriously wounded in Ankara

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
No real detail as yet just that the Russian ambassador , Andrei Karlov, was shot at an art exhibition , his condition is unknown.
More to follow as details emerge.

An Associated Press photographer says a gunman has fired shots at the Russian ambassador to Turkey. The ambassador’s condition wasn’t immediately known. The attack occurred Monday at a photo exhibition in the capital Ankara, where the ambassador was making an address. Photographs from the scene showed a man lying on the ground with an armed man dressed in a suit standing near him.
www.therepublic.com...

Picture of the attacker.

edit on 19-12-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

i was 5 seconds after

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Wow if this is true, bad times are ahead for all of us.

Stay safe people.

+24 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'm getting a distinct "Archduke Ferdinand shot in Sarajevo by anarchists" kind of a vibe here.
edit on 19-12-2016 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It must have been the Russian's.

edit on 19-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

There's a few potential lines here in relation to who was responsible and the reasoning

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Oh yes...I wondered when the blood would spread into the world of politics like this.

Ambassadors getting almost killed in safe zones, while trying to negotiate peace?

That's not going to bode well.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

It's true , video contains a picture of a man , presumably the ambassador ,on the floor after the attack

Reports of more gunfire after the shooting.

Further gunfire has been heard, according to CNN Turk, and the gunmen is reportedly still at large. CNN Turk said there were reports that the assailant had entered the gallery with a police ID and had opened fire on the ambassador as he made a speech. A photo broadcast on TV showed two people lying on the ground in the gallery.
www.independent.co.uk...

edit on 19-12-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Seriously, not a good day for diplomacy. I thought it was the turkish ambassador, not the Russian one.

Putin is going to be livid.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Odd thing is, Russia and Turkey have had very improved relations since the jet fiasco.

Wounder if someone was jealous of the new bromance.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The Russians will not let this pass without consequences, I guarantee it, and I am fearful of where that might lead. Arch Duke Ferdinand in Sarajevo just replayed and that is disturbing.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Our news said he is in critical condition...

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'll just add what I had gathered for the thread I posted a couple minutes after this one:

Russian ambassador to Turkey shot in Ankara

The Russian ambassador to Ankara, Turkey, has been seriously wounded in a gun attack and taken to hospital, according to Turkish channel NTV.

Andrey Karlov has represented Russia in the country since 2013.

The gunman is still at large.

Initial reports suggested he was visiting a photo exhibit in the capital when he was shot in the back.

Photo of scene from Hurriyet:

EDIT:

Google translated the Hurriyet article to try to tease out some additional details but it seems that picture might actually be the attacker. It seems that the Russian ambassador was speaking at the podium with a Turkish official and a man who was either part of the security detail or thought to be (or maybe just assumed to be by bystanders?) opened fire. Here's a poorly translated excerpt:

Hurriyet happened photojournalist Hasim Kilic said: organized by the Russian embassy in the photo had exhibition. A man in a black suit was standing behind the ambassador, who we thought was our protection when the embassy was speaking. And then he fired at the air. Then the ambassador shot. The attacker said more about Aleppo. Then he wanted people to go out. As the people went out, they fired a few more hands into the body of the ambassador. I guess one of those invites came to one of the invites. He said that the Contemporary Arts Center's security was entering by showing a police ID. There were about 100 people in the guesthouse and they were completely evacuated. As the people ran away, the ambassador fired a few more hands.

As you can see, it appears the person had law enforcement identification. He was saying something about Aleppo and I'm going to go out on limb here and say that Mr. Karlov is likely to be dead.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
During a speech.... Implies its straight up assassination style.

Quite a critical time for that part of the world, with Aleppo and the likes.....

Reminds me of the beginnings of WW1.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Based on the latest reports of one shot to the back and one delivered while the ambassador was on the floor a recovery from this looks somewhat unlikely.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hopefully this isn't one of those " moderates" Obama was funding.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

I know it's all speculation at this point, but this would make the second time a blatant jab came from Turkey, a country that alone cannot deal with a conflict with Russia.

I think Putin will keep a cool head though.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Reports coming out on Twitter that the gunman was saying something (paraphrasing) like "you killed innocent people in Aleppo/Syria" after/during the shooting.

ETA - loathe as I am to give them the clicks, zerohedge actually has a decent article that's pulled from multiple sources - www.zerohedge.com...
edit on 19-12-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
well whoever is on the ground with blood coming from their head looks D E D

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I believe this may have something to do with the 14 'agents' captured in Syria:

The perpetrator, who was wearing a suit and a tie, shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ (‘God is great’ in Arabic) during the attack, AP reports, citing their own photographer.

www.rt.com...

It's a guessing game, but I call Mossad, and the gunman is now dead

edit on -216002016-12-19T11:00:19-06:000000001931201619122016Mon, 19 Dec 2016 11:00:19 -0600 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join