It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cellular reprogramming has been used to reverse ageing in living animals for the first time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Fascinating article suggesting that turning back the ageing process may in fact become possible in the not too distant future.

www.sciencealert.com...

For the first time, scientists have used cellular reprogramming to reverse the ageing process in living animals, enabling mice with a form of premature ageing to live 30 percent longer than control animals.

The technique involves the use of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), which lets scientists reprogram skin cells to a base, embryonic-like state. From there, iPSCs can develop into other types of cells in the body – and now researchers have shown that reprogramming cells can also rejuvenate living creatures, in addition to winding back cells.

"In other studies scientists have completely reprogrammed cells all the way back to a stem-cell-like state," says researcher Pradeep Reddy from the Salk Institute for Biological Studies.

"But we show, for the first time, that by expressing these factors for a short duration, you can maintain the cell's identity while reversing age-associated hallmarks."

Who wouldn't be interested in turning back the ageing process? Get rid of that greying hair, or simply feel more youthful? It seems a no-brainer, but the study seems to be in its infancy, and it also seems not without its own dangers.

But while reprogramming cells to such an embryonic-like state sounds like it might make organisms younger, it also introduces dangerous complications. Research in 2013 and 2014 found that introducing iPSCs in living animals was fatal, resulting in cancerous growths or organ failure from adult cells having lost their identity.

I doubt we will see the fountain of youth anytime soon, but this study does show definite potential for an improved 'health span', whereby people may remain healthier for longer.
edit on 19-12-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Oh man!!! Way too late for many of us... I;m to crotchety...cranky. It would help roll back my olden times sooooo much. ☺☺ Terry. Great reporting!! Will save ...studying...readung ltr.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
But, what if ...

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Between stem cells and genetic programming within 50 years we will have the ability to slow or stop aging.

One of the key factors for type 1-2 civilizations is the ability to extend our lifespans for centuries. Admittedly this might be a long way off, but these are the fist steps.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I can see it already. Humans will find immortality, and right when they do, an enormous asteroid is going to hit earth.

You heard it here first. You humans don't know when to quit, eh?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Not quite...
We will eventually die because we oxidize, has nothing to do with the clock ticking away or poor diet, disease, etc.

Only way to stop aging is become non dependant on oxygen, which will never happen.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to be young again. I put in my time. Why would anyone want to live forever, it would be a curse. Every generation changes and you start to feel out of place because the social conditioning and information that is taught is different than when we were young. Actually, maybe it is more technical now, but the basis of living was way more real in the sixties than it is now. To live with these newly conditioned people another generation or two would suck. They believe science is the most important thing, I think that within reason, having a life you can look back on without much regret is important.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I wouldn't want to be young again. I put in my time. Why would anyone want to live forever, it would be a curse.

We do live forever already.

Fortunately, we forget. We change bodies. We get new life experiences.

What scientists are doing is attempting to preserve our garments, so that we never have to change the clothes we're wearing now.

Would you want to wear the same clothes forever?

That's the real problem.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is the last thing we need.

Because we ( I mean us normal folks and not super rich ) will never get to use this.

It will only serve to lengthen the lifespans of those causing more harm than good on this planet.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

We will slow aging long enough to become cybernetic. When that happens our lifespans will become far longer.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I thought they had already got those results by diet restriction, where the cells are fooled into slow breakdown mode. By thinking food is scarce.

top topics

join