It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret list of ID theft victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
We are lossing an estimated $420 billion in accounting due to the undocumented workers here in the US.
This is due to the undocumented workers getting ahold of American Social Security numbers and using them to satisfy government requirements to get a job.
The goverment is aware of the problem, Our creditors are aware of the problem, even our employers maybe aware of this issue but they will not notify the rightful owner of the SS# until it is time to collect monies for back taxes, defaulted home and car loans etc. Then the rightful owner has to endure years of fighting to prove who they are, that they did not make purchases etc.
This is another example of where the US needs to take the same steps as other countries of the worls do today and protect our borders, yes allow immigrant workers temporary work status here in the US to perform the jobs that they are doing today, but do it legally!
Here is a link to the story on MSNBC The secret list of ID theft victims

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I am surprised, 78 views, no responses. I would have thought that there would have been at least one response considering that we are loosing $420 Billion.
Oh well.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'll respond.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. A lot of money. Whew.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
In 2004 (i believe...maybe 2003)...something like 17 illegal mexicans we caught doing this in Texas...they were arrest...brought to trial...anf guess what...the judge tossed the case...WTF...I still dont understand how someone can come here illegally...do something bad...and be allowed to stay...its boggles the mind...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Actually BasementAddix, the problem with that case is in two partts.
1) DA's are extremely reluctant to proceute ID thefts due to the "gray areas" in the laws covering this. Recently, the CFO for Dallas, TX was a victim of identiy theft. The authorities identified the 2 culprits. They had over 300 different people's ID's. During a recent news update on the story, the most the two criminals will get if anything will be the loss of the stolen ID's. $5,000 in fines and upto 6 months in jail each. With this type of response, you can see why, DA's do not want to really pursue this type of crime.
2) The second issue that concerns that case that you mentioned, is that the methods used to ID the criminals, the Defending attorney and LULAC convinced the judge was profiling and as such could not be admitted.
This is the same argument that is being used in many states now when an illegal, hispanic or otherwise is arrested, they will not be prosecuted due to the possibility "profiliing" will be called into play and thus corrupt the case.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hey maybe we could just use some kind of implanted computer chip for identification and the illegals couldn't get your id #s........J/K. What I dont understand is why there can't be some form of verification system, like a credit check. An employer would have to call a hotline and find out if the ss# is the perspective employee's or not. Or mayby a SS# monitoring service that would alert someone to strange SS# activities. I have that with my credit cards and it seems to work just fine. If they could save just half of the $420 billion it could pay for itself, hell just take 5 cents more from everyones paycheck and do it. Or am I being silly?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Identity theft is only part of it. I knew this Pakistani woman (who was friends with my wife at the time) that got a temporary Social Security number(Or whatever it's called before you have citizenship). Turns out she found out that she would be issued another Social Security number after she was granted citizenship. So she went out and maxed all of her credit cards out! Last time I heard, she had the new social security number. Anyone else hear of such situations? Wouldn't they check that crap before they issue a permanent Social Security number? Ripping us off right in front of our face.

I also hate how illegal immigrants take it upon themselves to come in the US illegally and reap the benefits we are entitled to as American Citizens. If there was one true sterotype in this world, it would be that the majority of illegal Hispanic workers are in the construction business. And lawncare!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
kenshiro...its all stems from this country becoming to soft on criminals...everyones playing the friggen victim role...f-that....if it can be shown they wrecked someones life and benefitted from it...they should get a harsher penality then joe-citizen who's actually here legally....

top topics

join