It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now for something a bit saucy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I just thought sweet chilli sauce. It wasn't heaps of sugar. Also sugar helps if you have added too much chilli.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

I love garlic, I probably eat too much of it.

Just thought I'd mention that although rare, preserving garlic in an invironment lacking oxygen (in oil) can be dangerous. I think it's called botulism, a toxin produced by bacteria.

It's undetectable, I tend to freeze my infusions and sauces. Don't fancy poisoning myself...

Mostly though, things won't last that long

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Thanks for that info I will now research it more, I would hate to make anyone sick.a reply to: RAY1990

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

That really sucks about botulism in my garlic paste. I made it last week and it's been in the fridge for a week now and today I put it in really cool glass jars. So I guess I have to take it off the xmas gift list cos I think freezing the glass jars will make them Crack. Oh well tomorrow I will empty my cool garlic paste jars and freeze the paste in ice cube trays for my own use and now I will put my magic tumeric massage rub into the jars instead.
Thanks for the heads up ray1990.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

No problem, I'd hate for anyone to get ill.

I had to do the exact same thing last year after being alerted to it, the biggest problem is it's pretty much undetectable.

Acid and cooking the garlic should stop it, alas I pretty lazy and normally garlic doesn't last that long... I had to throw a few kilo of homegrown garlic last year, I was pretty gutted.

Apologies for being the bearer of bad news, though I think you'll agree despite it being low risk it isn't a risk worth talking :/

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

i see no reason why putting glass jars in a domestic freezer will make them crack

thermal cracking of glass is caused by stress - when the inside and outside surfaces of a jar expand or contract at vastly different rates

the thicker a jar walls - the more likley it is to crack

glass is not particularly thermally conductive - so when you fill a cold bottle with boiling water - the inside espands - but as heat is only slowly conducted through the glass - the outside remains at the origional temerature

this - stresses are created - and CRACK the bottle breaks

does that make sense ??????????????????

a domestic freezer will not cool the outside fast enough for stresses to build up 0 the entire jjar and contents - will cool at a relativly uniform rate

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

ah fair enough - i avoid adding sugar - cos i try to limit my intake

PS - you can never have " too much chilli "

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

They were thick glass I guess not champagne glass thin. Any way I emptied the garlic paste and have frozen it fir me to use and filled them with my massage rub . I forgot to add chilli to my massage rub so tomorrow I will empty the jars and remix with some chilli powder to add heat. Lots of tumeric in the rub which makes the skin a tad yellow but hey never mind.
Thanks for your wisdom.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join